SarSardonic

Still just a Newbie
Jul 9, 2010
✟15,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you continue to go to church while your loved one is deployed, knowing that the only time he/she may be able to call (once a month, or once a week, if lucky) is during church?

I just started going to church, and even though it's huge and I haven't met anyone there yet, I feel like eventually it will be a very good support system... Also, I get more out of attending the service than I do sitting at home watching it live from the tv or my computer.

I would like to continue to go to church, but what about those precious much-needed phone calls...?

What do you all do?

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Any Church of reasonable size will have more than one service. A large Church will have services as early as 6 am and as late as 9 pm (or later). Some of those would have to be in the middle of the night over there.

One would hope most Churches would be understanding and compasionate when it came to something like this. Get a cell phone, talk to the pastor and sit in near the side and close enough to the back that you can slip out to take a call.

Oh and of course set the phone on vibrate.

A really good smaller Church might be more than fine with you slipping out to talk to your spouse. But in such a Church they might sort of 'preasure' you for a praise report each time.

If you decide to go the cell route, do check with the Pastor first.

Upvote 0

SarSardonic

Still just a Newbie
Jul 9, 2010
✟15,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The church does have different services, but my husband calls at different times (even when it's the middle of the night over there), and I never know when/if he'll be able to call. (The one time he called this time was on a Sunday....)

I do have a cell (which is on vibrate) and I sit on the end in the back...
I just worry that it will look bad for me to just walk out randomly in the middle of the service....

I haven't even met the pastor or the associate pastor yet....

Upvote 0

Jlady79

Mar 28, 2012
TN
Visit site
✟15,142.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That is hard. I would still go to church and tell yourself it is okay to step out if he calls. I do remember a while ago running late to church and then my husband called when I was in the parking lot. I ended up just sitting in the car talking to him. I missed church but sometimes that happens because his call is important.

Upvote 0