Rafiel

May 10, 2014
currently with the snow geese !
✟7,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am very happy to say that yesterday I accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior!

One of the things I enjoy is singing. Though I was not saved till yesterday I always enjoyed, still do, singing to God-contemporary Christian music being my comfortable expression. I honestly would enjoy just going to church and singing the whole time if it were possible.

I see the heavens opening in my heart, our voices merging with the voices of the singing angels. Its a step in inside of Heaven's doorway for a moment in time.

It's not that I don't enjoy the sermon, I do. And I do love reading the Bible any time and place.

But my greatest fear and problem is talking to others on a serious note. I can joke or do listening talk. But eventually the serious questions get rolling , directly or indirectly.

I came from a deeply troubling past. And while I choose not to live in it. It keeps me on my toes, the scars do. People share experience or want to "fellowship" on a personal basis. And I have nothing in common to share. And I have no desire to talk about how different I am and why.

Unless I am making people laugh or singing to God I am no good at small talk. Horrible at it. I don't know how to do it without feeling isolated. I was kept isolated as a child and teen till I left home. and by then I was used to being alone, living a solitary life. I have lived without any bonds of personal friendship my whole life. I want to live for God and serve him by his Grace. I also wish to have deep meaningful Christian friends. How do I do this? The most common questions I get are :

what do you do for a living?
are you married?
do you have any kids?

or I noticed a lot of people in church have college degrees...I don't. So I become uncomfortable. Not because I feel inadequate. I don't. I know God has blessed me with his gifts. A heart for the elderly. Singing. An intelligent mind. A compassionate giving heart. An ear for listening to the hurts of others. A very strong protective instinct for others without fear what so ever.

what makes me uncomfortable is the Judgment that minimizes me as a child of God. I remember once I attended this large popular church with two active pastors. They asked me what I did for a living. I asked why they wanted to know. They wanted to see where I could contribute in the church-note they did not ask if I was saved or not. I told them I was a security guard. They literally looked at each other with a look of "nope nothing there" and turned their backs on me and walked away. I was heartbroken. it wasn't the first time this has happened.

This all affects my church search.

I know that God has something for me...what it is I don't know. I hope it is being a productive member of a church in fellowship with believers.

I should have told them I fished for a living and seen what the response would've been.

Yeah, I do love to fish by the way:)

Last edited:
T

ToBeBlessed

I am very happy to say that yesterday I accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior!

One of the things I enjoy is singing. Though I was not saved till yesterday I always enjoyed, still do, singing to God-contemporary Christian music being my comfortable expression. I honestly would enjoy just going to church and singing the whole time if it were possible.

I see the heavens opening in my heart, our voices merging with the voices of the singing angels. Its a step in inside of Heaven's doorway for a moment in time.

It's not that I don't enjoy the sermon, I do. And I do love reading the Bible any time and place.

But my greatest fear and problem is talking to others on a serious note. I can joke or do listening talk. But eventually the serious questions get rolling , directly or indirectly.

I came from a deeply troubling past. And while I choose not to live in it. It keeps me on my toes, the scars do. People share experience or want to "fellowship" on a personal basis. And I have nothing in common to share. And I have no desire to talk about how different I am and why.

Unless I am making people laugh or singing to God I am no good at small talk. Horrible at it. I don't know how to do it without feeling isolated. I was kept isolated as a child and teen till I left home. and by then I was used to being alone, living a solitary life. I have lived without any bonds of personal friendship my whole life. I want to live for God and serve him by his Grace. I also wish to have deep meaningful Christian friends. How do I do this? The most common questions I get are :

what do you do for a living?
are you married?
do you have any kids?

or I noticed a lot of people in church have college degrees...I don't. So I become uncomfortable. Not because I feel inadequate. I don't. I know God has blessed me with his gifts. A heart for the elderly. Singing. An intelligent mind. A compassionate giving heart. An ear for listening to the hurts of others. A very strong protective instinct for others without fear what so ever.

what makes me uncomfortable is the Judgment that minimizes me as a child of God. I remember once I attended this large popular church with two active pastors. They asked me what I did for a living. I asked why they wanted to know. They wanted to see where I could contribute in the church-note they did not ask if I was saved or not. I told them I was a security guard. They literally looked at each other with a look of "nope nothing there" and turned their backs on me and walked away. I was heartbroken. it wasn't the first time this has happened.

This all affects my church search.

I know that God has something for me...what it is I don't know. I hope it is being a productive member of a church in fellowship with believers.

I should have told them I fished for a living and seen what the response would've been.

Yeah, I do love to fish by the way:)

I use to struggle with this too. I had a bad childhood and I wanted to keep certain things personal.

You know what? You should.

They may have good intentions or they could be nosy. Keep your answers vague. Like I work with computers or I work in daycare. If they ask more answer again as vague as you want to be. I work on hardware. School age children or toddlers. Give enough vague answers and make yourself feel comfortable. You are in control and choose what you say.

I might go over the top 10 questions and know what I would respond in advance.

Keep it fun and light. When you establish in depth friendships you may want to share more. If you want to then do it when deeper relationships have been established.

Jesus is your best friend. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to the family of God! (It sounds like you've been here for a while, but congratulations.)

You are in control and choose what you say.
I agree. Time is short, so it's likely that long conversations won't come up often anyway.

If you get active in church, the conversation revolves around inviting people to get involved.

Bring some conversation ideas with you. The weather, the news... so you can steer topics away from what you don't want to talk about. Pray for the people you often run into, and then you will be able to ask them about their real concerns. Almost everyone has a relative who's ill, a death in the family, a new family member, or a job crisis.

What works best for me -- as I face the crowd in the narthex, I pray "God, use me." Then I tend to get a sense of who I need to approach, and it always turns out to be a great conversation that they really needed to vent about.

We have a lot more control over what people think of us, than we imagine. Put your best feet forward.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
All of these social issues will come up where ever you go to church. Don't forget the saying.

"Where ever you go there you are."

Meaning we bring our our temperaments, scars and imaginations with us and see the preconceptions we have created in our own minds and project them onto our surroundings.

Personally I would say attend churches you believe that most accurately portray authentic Christianity and congregations that generally have a welcoming feel and then pitch in where you can help out.

Upvote 0

Abandoned Barns

Powered by Grace
May 12, 2014
South Carolina
✟15,367.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
what makes me uncomfortable is the Judgment that minimizes me as a child of God. I remember once I attended this large popular church with two active pastors. They asked me what I did for a living. I asked why they wanted to know. They wanted to see where I could contribute in the church-note they did not ask if I was saved or not. I told them I was a security guard. They literally looked at each other with a look of "nope nothing there" and turned their backs on me and walked away. I was heartbroken. it wasn't the first time this has happened
Really?

The preacher of a particularly well to do church in town was cleaning up his sermon notes from the pulpit one Sunday after the morning service when he noticed a farmer approaching him up the center isle of the church, wearing a particularly well used set of overalls still tucked into his soiled farm boots.

"May I help you?", asked the preacher.

"I'd like to become a member here", replied the farmer. Thinking for a moment and deciding that the farmer would not fit in well with the rest of the congregation, the preacher said:

"Well, I'd like you to go home and pray about it each day for a week, and if you still want to become a member of this church, come back and we'll talk about it". He bid the farmer good bye, fully expecting to never see him again.

A week later, the preacher was once again tidying his pulpit after Sunday service when, to his surprise, he saw the same farmer, in the same overalls and boots, aproaching him down the same center isle of the church.

"Well, did you do as I asked?" the preacher inquired.

"I did" said the farmer. "Each day this week, I asked God what he thought about my family and me joining this church".

"And what did he say to you?" replied the preacher, condescendingly.

The farmer answered "He said that if I could get in then that would be great for me, because he's been trying to get in for years but hasn't been able to"

the joke reminds me of a poem I had saved from years ago:

The Stranger by Fred Z.

He walked in through the back door and sat in the very last pew.His presence went unnoticed, with the exception of a few. I noticed him walk in, but he never said a word.There were lots of people talking, but his voice I never heard.This man was middle aged, his hair was long and brown.People stared disgustingly; the turned quietly back around.His jeans were torn and faded, their color worn away.I felt sorry for this man, that life had treated him this way.I thought he'd probably ask for money, those people are all the same.If he only knew who Jesus was, his life would surely change.And when the service ended, and conversations began,you could see them point their finger, as they whispered about the man.He saw them point their fingers, he looked so out of place.And as he stood there watching, a tear ran down his face.I don't know how he heard us, it wasn't meant for him to hear;but when he left the church, his eyes were filled with tears.And just like no one noticed, this man entering the church;it seemed that no one noticed, that this man was really hurt.I ran outside to catch him, I said, "Stranger, please hold on".He said, "Yes, I am a stranger to you my son."I said, "I'm sorry for our behavior." and went to shake his hand;when I noticed a scar that was on it, he said, "Now do you know who I am?"I asked Him, "Who are you?" He answered, "You already know."These scars were made for you almost two thousand years ago."I fell to His feet in shame, I couldn't believe what I had done.The one that we made fun of, was the Father's precious Son."Every person you treat like that, it might as well be me;Know they are my children, and I am in them you see."In you I am disappointed, and for the others, it's the same,if you only knew who Jesus was; your life would surely change!Jesus Cares, God loves you, and so do we !

The first time I walked into my church I was wearing torn overalls and a flannel shirt.

When we first moved to SC, we owned our land, but we didn't have a house. We had the promise of a house (mobile home) that was to come within a few days of us getting here, but were met with broken promises, new problems and the beginning of this recession when we arrived. We couldn't find work, and were told that we may actually lose the house that we thought was secured before moving here. We lived in a tent. We cooked and warmed ourselves with an open campfire. We bathed in a 55 gal drum. Our then 7 year old would get on the school bus stinking like smoke from the fire and get picked on by the other kids. We had our truck, the tent, one working outlet, a well with one working spigot, a handful of laying hens, a radio, a bible and each other. We had a small savings, which was rapidly dwindling and we were scarred. Often, while we were in town, looking for work, we would dig through the dumpster at the market to find greens and vegetables to feed the animals. It's embarrassing, but we would often cut off the non-rotten parts for ourselves. We lived this way for several months. It was late autumn and the weather was getting colder. The colder it got, the more scared we became. I wouldn't say we were homeless, but it's as close as I ever hope to know what it's like. By His grace my wife found work first at the local Piggly Wiggly. Because she had a job, we were able to finally get the house, but we were still deep in a hole. Our savings gone, credit cards maxed and only my wife's part-time job to support us, as soon as we got the house we were in danger of losing it.

Anyway, the reason I'm sharing all of this is that it was during this period of struggling that we began to attend our current church home. I know what it's like to not have anything to wear to church but farm clothes. I know what it's like to feel like you have absolutely nothing to contribute. I know what it's like to sit with your family, among all those fancy suits and dresses and just feel pure shame because of having nothing nice for your family to wear. I often hear arguments about how not sprucing up for church may cause your brothers to stumble, but I wonder sometimes if the guy in the thousand dollar suit stops to consider how he's making the guy who can't afford a tie feel. This is how I felt on my own, without the ruddiness and insensitivity of others, I can imagine how it would be if we had been outwardly rejected.

I can remember the first time I walked through those doors with my family. Feeling very much like you're describing now. So certain that it was a mistake. So certain that we would be judged or not fit in. So certain that I was about to embarrass myself and my family. That I would embarrass God. I was terrified.

The folks at our church...never batted an eye. Never once said a word about our dress. Never once made any judgement of us. Never once reacted to seeing the fraying of our clothes or that we still smelled like smoke. They brought us bags of clothes and said they would only be thrown out anyway. Had poundings (old-fashioned term where the women in church would get together and each donate a "pound" of this or a "pound" of that) and filled our truck with food. Had love offerings during the service and raised money to give us, without question, without condition or expectation. They bought Christmas presents for our boys and left them anonymously. When I still couldn't find a job and decided to take the only work I could find driving a truck OTR and was gone for weeks at a time, the men (including the Preacher) came over to help my pregnant wife with the land. The woman visited daily to help cook and clean. One of the deacons found me a job with the state, with benefits and I was able to come back home off the road. Never once did any of these people make us feel like we were indebted to them. That we owed anything to them or to the church. No one ever gave me a tie or even once implied that I should wear one on Sundays.

Needless to say, we're very fond of our church.

I sometimes wonder if it's not more than coincidence that these two verses are so close to each other in Luke:

Luke 20:45 - 21:4 (ESV) said:
Beware of the Scribes

45 And in the hearing of all the people he said to his disciples, 46"Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and love greetings in the marketplaces and the best seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at feasts, 47 who devour widows’ houses and for a pretense make long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.

The Widow’s Offering

1 Jesus looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box, 2and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. 3And he said, "Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them. 4For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."

Listen, maybe it’s me, but I think I’d rather go to church to worship, raise my hands and smell whiskey and BO on the guy next to me than fancy cologne and a freshly pressed suit, because you know what – that’s a church where God is on the job! That this guy is even there, stinking like sin means that God has got His work clothes on. Sleeves rolled up working on that man’s heart. I think I’d rather sit next to a homosexual or a drug addict or a prostitute then to sit next to an empty pew. Being a Christian can be dirty work, but I think that God prefers dirty pews to empty pews.

It’s as if sometimes we think that the building we choose to meet at each Sunday is constructed of some sort of holy bricks and being held together by sacred mortar. They’re not. In fact the building just a marker. A meeting place. Coordinates for those who would come together to worship Him to find each other. Aren’t we ourselves the church? That is that, it is the whole body; the Doctor in the fancy suit, the farmer in his overalls, the homosexual and the guy with whiskey on his breath, all together that we are raising up to him. We’re all stinky like sin before God and there isn’t any hiding it either. Not with mouthwash or fancy suits or shinny new shoes or having the biggest bible or singing the loudest in church or donating the most money to the church. We all stink and He loves us anyway. How cool is that? How awesome is the God that we serve? That He can see past our clothes and hairdos and manicures and peer directly into our hearts. That the gift of our love is what has value to him and not the wrapping paper that does. Why would we want it to be any other way? Because maybe the guy with the hangover sitting next to me can't smell or see or speculate about the sin in my own heart, but Christ can. Just as plain as I can smell what he had to drink last night. Just as plain as I can see what he wore to church this morning, Jesus can see what I’m wearing on my heart.

Rafiel, don't ever let anyone make you feel as if you're wrong for wanting to worship God or to be in fellowship with his other children. That you are somehow less deserving to do so then they are. Because you know what Brother; You're not. I'm not. They're not. None of us are. That's the point! None of us deserve to be there, it's only through His grace and love for us alone, that we are able to do so. So listen here Bo, because this is important; if you EVER walk into a church and find that the people there are not absolutely overjoyed that you are there with them, then you turn your happy, God loving hind side around and you walk you to the next church. Those people will have done you a favor by letting you know upfront that it was not the kind of church you're interested in, and in the end, it will be them, not you, who were at fault.

Edited to say: I'm sorry for that coming off so angry. Especially in the New Christians Forum. I really hope I didn't scare anybody. That literally infuriates me that a servant of God, consciously or unconsciously, would choose to do that to you! Because it's certainly not how Christ envisioned the church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I know God has blessed me with his gifts. A heart for the elderly. Singing. An intelligent mind. A compassionate giving heart. An ear for listening to the hurts of others. A very strong protective instinct for others without fear what so ever.

Hi Rafiel, first off and most importantly, WELCOME TO THE FAMILY .. :wave:

It sounds like you have a lot to offer any congregation .. :thumbsup: However, if first impressions are a problem for you, I would recommend looking for a smaller sized congregation, in the 100-250 member range. There is much work to be done in such a church (as they have many of the internal needs and the desires for outreach that a larger congregation does), but many fewer hands to do the work. All you need to do is ask the pastor if there is anything you can do to help and I'm sure you'll be welcomed with open arms .. :clap:

The thing is, ministry to and for others is important, but you are a babe in Christ and right now, you need to spend time growing up in Him, first and foremost.

The most important thing for you would be to spend a lot of time in God's word everyday, in prayer, in fellowship (I would join a small group Bible study for sure if I was you), and you need to take the time to tell others about the wonderful, extraordinary thing that just happened to you whenever possible .. :)

It would also help if you could find yourself a spiritual mentor, but just being around and under the guidance of older, wiser Christians who have been in the faith for a longer time than you is very important. You will have many questions and they can help. Chances are also very good that you will have to face attacks from the enemy because, quite frankly, he wants you back .. :eek: Not to worry though, Christ will not let you go, but Satan's attacks are often difficult to deal mentally and spiritually and Christians who are more mature can help you realize what they are and then help you deal with them.

God bless!! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David
p.s. - do not seek a leadership role right now as there is a danger in that (see 1 Timothy 3:1-6 .. especially v6).

Oh, and one last thing, there is a free, online series for new Christians such as yourself (actually you can buy the series for $20, but you don't need to, just scroll down and click the "Listen" buttons and get it for free). It's called "Spiritual Boot Camp" by Dr. John MacArthur and it will help give you a GREAT foundation for growing up in four important areas of the faith. Click here to check it out: SPIRITUAL BOOT CAMP

Upvote 0