Not open for further replies.

Kotton

Feb 8, 2002
Kansas
Visit site
✟20,964.00
Faith
Catholic
After reading and rereading this thread for the last two days, I wonder what you mean by;

Being a 'part' of the church Christ founded is different.

Unless 'part' refers to anyone who professes Christianity. I agree with Zoomom, it's an oxymoron, and I believe she meant by 'part' as a member of.

Kotton ;)

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that you would be hard pressed to find a practicing Catholic who would be willing to state that they don't believe the Catholic Church is NOT the "One true church established by Christ."

The reason is all Catholics (cradle and converts) are educated in the history of the church. We are taught exactly how Christ established the Church with Peter as its first leader or pope.

Now...if you want to ask a "hot button" question about Catholicism, ask how many Catholics feel they need to follow all the teachings of the Catholic Church, in regards to birthcontrol, attending weekly mass, attending confession, invetro fertalization, abortion, divorce, alternative lifestyles, etc. You might get a different response, although not from the Catholics who frequent this particular message board.

I can safely say we're all pretty much Orthodox Catholics here :cool: , so you won't really get much in the way of "Cafeteria" Catholic answers.:smokin:

Sorry!

Upvote 0
F

Fiduciary

Kotton- I suppose it depends on how you look at the view in reference to being a 'part'. For example: Jane, who is not Catholic and believes the body of believers is the church Christ built, would see herself and everyone else who believes to be a part of that church. Whereas John, who is Catholic and believes his is the church Christ built, would see himself and his fellow church members as a part of that church. It would probably be safe to say Jane would not be a part of that in John's view. Just depends on how you look at it I suppose.

Onesheep- What difference would it make? Must you agree with all the church does or claims to be a part of it? If for some arcane reason you found out the Catholic church was not the one church (pretend), you would then denounce the faith?

My apologies to anyone whom thought I was joking. I was curious to know if anyone knew someone who may have the view of the original question posted. I know people that do and thought it was interesting.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm...

The clearest possible way that I can say this is...I (as a Catholic) believe that the CC is the earthly institution that Christ established with the intention of guarding the faith and keeping it pure, but I do not believe that the entire Body of Christ is contained within the Roman Catholic Church.

Does that help?

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Catholic Church is the church that Christ established in the beginning - 2000 years ago. Those people who are no longer Catholic (but are Protestants) are still a part of the mysticaly body of Christ, but are considered our "separated bretheren."

Christ never meant for us to separate into all of these individual churches. But, again the reason there is this question is due to the fact that 500 years ago the Reformation threw the Church into chaos and everyone decided they had the right answer for what Christ established as his church.

It is our prayer as Catholics that our separated bretheren return home to the church - and we are in large numbers. I am a convert and I have never felt more at home in a church than I do now that I am Catholic. But someone who is not Catholic is still part of the body of Christ.

Upvote 0

Kotton

Feb 8, 2002
Kansas
Visit site
✟20,964.00
Faith
Catholic
Fiduciary:
It would probably be safe to say Jane would not be a part of that in John's view.

If John is following Church teaching, he will say Jane is 'part', although not a member of the Catholic Church. See the following quotes.

Zoo Mom:
I (as a Catholic) believe that the CC is the earthly institution that Christ established with the intention of guarding the faith and keeping it pure, but I do not believe that the entire Body of Christ is contained within the Roman Catholic Church.

KC Catholic:
The Catholic Church is the church that Christ established in the beginning - 2000 years ago. Those people who are no longer Catholic (but are Protestants) are still a part of the mysticaly body of Christ, but are considered our "separated bretheren."

Here we have two converts to the Catholic Church telling us what they believe and it is in union with the Church teaching from Vatican II Council and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. They have stated very properly what every knowledgable Catholic understands.

I was curious to know if anyone knew someone who may have the view of the original question posted. I know people that do and thought it was interesting.

I would call them nominal Catholics, poorly informed, and wonder why they want to be called Catholic.

Kotton :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
F

Fiduciary

I would call them nominal Catholics, poorly informed, and wonder why they want to be called Catho
[B/]

One of them is a priest, believe it or not. Also I did not say that Jane was not a part at all in John's view. In the example, she wasn't. Even though the Catholics on this board and everyone they know except Protestants, that doesn't mean that all feel that way. Both hands are not open.

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of them is a priest, believe it or not.

This does not suprise me. Priests are human, too, and there are some fantastic priests who are faithful to Rome and want to do the right thing. But, sometimes we take things a step too far. Before I became Catholic, I noticed that some Catholics appear to have "elitist" attitudes, and some do. I was guilty of that after I converted and I hurt a lot of peoples feelings - and I was wrong.

It's not right and its not how we are supposed to behave. We are separated bretheren and we need to continue to pray for the reunion of our family. Additionally, we have to pray for those in our own ranks who need our encouragement and example of how we are to treat our fellow Christians.

Peace be with you.

Upvote 0
KC Catholic:

It's not right and its not how we are supposed to behave. We are separated bretheren and we need to continue to pray for the reunion of our family. Additionally, we have to pray for those in our own ranks who need our encouragement and example of how we are to treat our fellow Christians.

. . . if more Catholics truly believed this. . . the church would be better for it.

RC

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
. . . if more Catholics truly believed this. . . the church would be better for it.

Actually, if both Protestant and Catholics truly believed this, we'd be a united family and many message boards would be out of business.

You'd be surprised how many Catholics DO in fact believe my earlier statement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.