Alaska
✟15,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone, my first post here so I hope this is the correct place for this. I wanted to ask for opinions on an issue in my church. The church I attend has a lot of children that attend, which is great. The issue is them talking and misbehaving during the service. I go to church on a military base so it's a bit different than my old church that I attended in the past. This never happened at my old church. But here, it seems to be almost normal if that makes sense. It's gotten to the point now that I really don't want to attend because all I can hear is the noise during the service. I know the Chaplain sees it too because it obviously makes him lose his train of thought when he's preaching. There is a children's church service that the kids are dismissed to but some stay in the main chapel. Last week there was kids playing with hot wheels in the church pews. The parents didn't seem bothered at all. Anyone ever dealt with this? I know kids are kids and I understand that but at some point I feel something should be done. I haven't spoke to the Chaplain directly because I didn't know if it was my place. Thoughts?

Reactions: Drick

Drick

Aug 22, 2017
Alabama
✟18,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is a problem I've encountered, and it actually primarily seems to happen in Baptist and Non-Denominational churches. I don't know if it's a cultural thing or what, but it's bizarre that I've never been in a Presbyterian or Pentecostal, or any other type of church that has problems with their children.

The problem, usually, is unfortunately simple: The parents don't care enough to get their kids to shut up, and the administration is too cowardly to confront anyone about it. There's no much you can do about it unless you're up for finding a different church, other than getting used to it. Good luck!

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While we're on the subject of church distractions I would like to say that we should dress accordingly and refrain from wearing revealing clothing especially at church. I've had a problem a few times where some of the women at church are wearing things that are probably not the best attire for church. I remember once I was standing inside the doorway of the sanctuary and greeting people as they came in and a woman came in wearing a lacy skirt and as she walked thru the door the light behind her revealed everything and I just looked away like oh my goodness I did not want to see that. A lot of women also wear skin tight spandex which in my opinion is not appropriate. Now I wouldn't say that these were a distraction because I wasn't compelled to keep looking it's just kind of awkward not wanting to see stuff like that. Especially at church. Now I'm not just picking on the women this should go for men as well. So please no spandex or lacy skirts at church guys. Lol

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God is about to send you a message in a still small voice, but the devil will be there as well, trying to drown out the message with his loud voice and noise and thunder. You will have to be able to hear God through all of it. To help you out....God put you in this church with loud Kids. Practice hearing the sermon through the noisy children....when you have succeeded.....prepare for the voice of God. Don't forget to Thank the children for helping you out in such important matters.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone, my first post here so I hope this is the correct place for this. I wanted to ask for opinions on an issue in my church. The church I attend has a lot of children that attend, which is great. The issue is them talking and misbehaving during the service. I go to church on a military base so it's a bit different than my old church that I attended in the past. This never happened at my old church. But here, it seems to be almost normal if that makes sense. It's gotten to the point now that I really don't want to attend because all I can hear is the noise during the service. I know the Chaplain sees it too because it obviously makes him lose his train of thought when he's preaching. There is a children's church service that the kids are dismissed to but some stay in the main chapel. Last week there was kids playing with hot wheels in the church pews. The parents didn't seem bothered at all. Anyone ever dealt with this? I know kids are kids and I understand that but at some point I feel something should be done. I haven't spoke to the Chaplain directly because I didn't know if it was my place. Thoughts?
1. Is there any military rule that prohibits parents from correcting or disciplining their children?
2. Do parents fear calling attention to themselves on a military base?
3. I'm assuming the Chaplain can address the issue from the pulpit and in private meetings. Does he do that? Why not? Will that get him in trouble?

YEARS ago my wife and I, with our children, visited my sister and her husband on a military base. I had completed my six years and reserve obligation. A lifeguard at the on-base installation disciplined one of our sons. He was forced to swim laps, do push-ups, etc., for what the lifeguard considered misbehavior. We were, of course, civilians. I went with my brother-in-law to the pool, over the objections of my sister, who said that it would get her husband into "deep trouble." My brother-in-law was hesitant about approaching the lifeguard. I wasn't. I spoke firmly to him, without revealing my brother-in-law's identity. We took my son and two other children back to the place where we were staying, off the base, of course. We didn't hear anymore about it, except from my sister.

Upvote 0

Braz

Sep 24, 2017
Alaska
✟15,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
1. Is there any military rule that prohibits parents from correcting or disciplining their children?
2. Do parents fear calling attention to themselves on a military base?
3. I'm assuming the Chaplain can address the issue from the pulpit and in private meetings. Does he do that? Why not? Will that get him in trouble?

YEARS ago my wife and I, with our children, visited my sister and her husband on a military base. I had completed my six years and reserve obligation. A lifeguard at the on-base installation disciplined one of our sons. He was forced to swim laps, do push-ups, etc., for what the lifeguard considered misbehavior. We were, of course, civilians. I went with my brother-in-law to the pool, over the objections of my sister, who said that it would get her husband into "deep trouble." My brother-in-law was hesitant about approaching the lifeguard. I wasn't. I spoke firmly to him, without revealing my brother-in-law's identity. We took my son and two other children back to the place where we were staying, off the base, of course. We didn't hear anymore about it, except from my sister.
Like one posted above, I think they are lazy parents. The current Chaplain is new, about a month here so far. He is pretty stern about people still chatting when he's ready to get started. It's a really situation to be honest. I've gone to this chapel for a couple years now but lately it's gotten worse. I'm hoping as he gets settled hell correct these issues. I don't really see anyone getting into trouble from the military aspect. There are some high ranking officers that have the loud children so maybe that could be the problem. I've tried to just sit closer each Sunday so I can't see all the distractions.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the Baptist church I grew up in, this was not a problem at all. I mean, there was the occasional crying baby/toddler, but they were carried out of the service until they calmed down. They have both children's church and a nursery.

Maybe the pastor needs to tell the congregation that or organize something like a nursery and have more importance on children's church because really, they need to be taught at their level too. Hope and pray for the best and what God leads you to do. :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

Braz

Sep 24, 2017
Alaska
✟15,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In the Baptist church I grew up in, this was not a problem at all. I mean, there was the occasional crying baby/toddler, but they were carried out of the service until they calmed down. They have both children's church and a nursery.

Maybe the pastor needs to tell the congregation that or organize something like a nursery and have more importance on children's church because really, they need to be taught at their level too. Hope and pray for the best and what God leads you to do. :yellowheart:
That's exactly how my previous church was. So when I see this here it was a shock. I thought any min The parents would take the loud child out and some do. But you're right, have to keep praying and try to listen through it.

• Prayers
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0