✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Honestly, I'm not sure where to post this so I hope this is the right place :D

So...what's everyone think about a Christian wearing a kippah and using a prayer shawl?
I won't pretend I didn't have to look up what a kippah is. Now I've seen it I know, I just didn't know the name. Prayer shawl is self explanatory.

Before I answer I'd just ask why they are wearing them. Is there a reason some Christians would wear them?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
J019.jpg
You should get a prayer rope.

Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
No reason to wear a kippa, but in my parish, we have a "prayer shawl ministry". They're not related to Jewish tallits, though, and are mostly given to those who have suffered losses or are going through a major life change (college, marriage, etc.)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So...what's everyone think about a Christian wearing a kippah and using a prayer shawl?
It depends on the reason they wear them.

Most of them (in regular christian churches) are just being "Jewish wannabes;" and that is NOT a good reason. I wonder how many of them also lay tefillin. I would hazard a guess: very few to none.

However, In a messianic synagogue, or a traditional synagogue, kippas are entirely appropriate; and a talit may be also, depending on the local custom of that congregation.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Simplistik

Scholar in Training
Nov 4, 2018
Baltimore
✟10,643.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Simplistik

Scholar in Training
Nov 4, 2018
Baltimore
✟10,643.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I won't pretend I didn't have to look up what a kippah is. Now I've seen it I know, I just didn't know the name. Prayer shawl is self explanatory.

Before I answer I'd just ask why they are wearing them. Is there a reason some Christians would wear them?

well i was asking in general but the reason behind the question is this: a Messianic Temple sent me a prayer shawl and a kippah (what most people call a yarmulke) and I was wondering about if I should wear them.

That being said, I personally can't find any issue with me using the prayer shawl while I pray. Granted, there are Jewish customs and prayers associate with one so I guess the question becomes--should I perform the Jewish incantations and rituals before I use it?

As far as the kippah, I wore it to the gas station the other day and the guy working there asked if I was Muslim and got really confused when I said no and said that it was a Jewish headcovering. That's neither here nor there though, I do find that it helped me stay mindful of God and my actions when I was wearing it.

Upvote 0

Simplistik

Scholar in Training
Nov 4, 2018
Baltimore
✟10,643.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No reason to wear a kippa, but in my parish, we have a "prayer shawl ministry". They're not related to Jewish tallits, though, and are mostly given to those who have suffered losses or are going through a major life change (college, marriage, etc.)

Catholic churches in my area have the same prayer shawl ministry. I'm referring specifically to the Jewish tallit though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wear a yarmulke once a year at a Seder. Prayer shawl? Yeah once in awhile. We also have a mezuzah on our door. As long as these things aren’t used to mock, I don’t see the problem. Traditions, y’know.

Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

I prefer to call them yarmulkes. I believe everyone should wear them. They keep the head warm, it's a great fashion statement, they make women look prettier, and men look more Jewish (chicks dig that) - if nothing else.

yarmulke-clip-beret-3.png

What's not to like? Even the pope wears one.
index.jpg

Oh - but the bible says men shouldn't pray with their heads uncovered. So when praying, you'll have to take it off, irrespective of the cold, or one's lack of hair.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As for the kippah (head covering) and the tallit (prayer shawl) it is not Biblical for Christians to wear

1 Corinthians 11:4, 1 Corinthians 11:7

"A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man."

So I guess it's whether you want to follow Christ or not.

Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
As for the kippah (head covering) and the tallit (prayer shawl) it is not Biblical for Christians to wear

1 Corinthians 11:4, 1 Corinthians 11:7

"A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man."

So I guess it's whether you want to follow Christ or not.
In context, this is whilst praying or prophesying. Not as a fashion statement, or to keep one's balding head warm in the snow.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In context, this is whilst praying or prophesying. Not as a fashion statement, or to keep one's balding head warm in the snow.

Why on earth would a Christian wear a symbol of a Jewish orthodox tradition as a "fashion statement"?

It's not very Christian in mind set..

Upvote 0