Christians: How do you reconcile the problem of evil?

Kim7229

Oct 27, 2018
Redwood City
✟17,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I see that this is going on right now, and it's very tragic.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a98253640d75

I used to be a Christian. I attended church regularly, believed God existed and prayed regularly. But I never gave it much thought when tragedy struck that God wasn't doing anything.

Now that I'm a non-believer, I wonder how Christians go about reconciling the problem of evil?
If God loves everyone and can do anything, then he must not know about catastrophes
If God loves everyone and knows everything, then he must be incapable of doing anything about catastrophes
If God can do anything and knows everything, then he must not love the victims and their families enough to want to do anything.

How do you reconcile it?

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a98253640d75

I used to be a Christian. I attended church regularly, believed God existed and prayed regularly. But I never gave it much thought when tragedy struck that God wasn't doing anything.

Now that I'm a non-believer, I wonder how Christians go about reconciling the problem of evil?
If God loves everyone and can do anything, then he must not know about catastrophes
If God loves everyone and knows everything, then he must be incapable of doing anything about catastrophes
If God can do anything and knows everything, then he must not love the victims and their families enough to want to do anything.

How do you reconcile it?
My answer would not satisfy you...(and really does not completely satisfy me, but having encountered God, and trusting Him, I am left to accept it in faith)...

God knows better than I do what is loving, and He is sovereign. If He chooses not to intervene, then it is for our benefit, no matter how it might seem to me at this time...and who am I anyway to question the Creator of all?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How do you reconcile it?
The world and all that happens is just as God planned. We cannot reason up to why it is this way. But for those who spend time in his word, he reveals much about why these things happen.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Entire books have been written about this. If you're interested, read one.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How do you reconcile it?
We read this is the story of Noah. The whole time he was building his Ark he was warning people of the flood. But no one would listen to him. Today we have the exact same story. Matt 24:37 "As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." Only today the world is not being cleansed with water, the world is being cleansed with fire. JW and LDS go door to door in an attempt to warn people and yet they will not listen and repent and turn away from their sin. As individuals, as a city, as a state as nations have to decide for God. Even now as a nation American has to decide if we want to serve God or not. People are given a choice: Life or Death, Blessing or Curse, Sickness or Health, Poverty or Prosperity. We can choose liberty and freedom or bondage and captivity. We can choose gladness and joy or sorrow and misery. That is the choice we make, God requires us to make. You can not blame God for the mess that man and the devil makes out of things. I know you want to accuse God. But that is just the way of the infidel that refuses to take responsablity for the choices and decisions that they make.

Matthew 11:19 "We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge and you did not mourn.’ For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon!’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at this glutton and drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and of sinners!’ But wisdom is vindicated by her actions.”

The cities will be easy to rebuild. The infrastructure is still there, the roads, water supply, sewers & the foundations for the houses. All the vegetation will come back very quick because the roots are still there. Only now God will give the town to people who honor Him and give Him Praise and Glory. They have 3D printers that can frame in a house for around $5,000. As long as you have a foundation to build on. We need to return to the day of $3,000 cars and $12,000 houses.

Job 1:21 "The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Samaritan Woman

Sep 2, 2013
Midwest
✟66,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

How do you reconcile it?

Why did I have an abusive and perverse sociopath for a father who drove my mother to abuse alcohol? Why did my OCD begin to manifest as a child while in my adolescence I developed bipolar disorder? Why am I highly prone to catatonia and psychosis which makes my conditions that much more terrifying? I have been through enough tormenting trauma to write a book - and I used to wonder why God had allowed all this garbage happen to me. Frankly, I don't have the answer to that question but what I do know is that once I recognized I am still a sinner nonetheless and that Jesus was the only one who could justify me before a holy God, I was liberated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
None of these things were intended for us, nor are they given to us forever. How do you reconcile it without God? That life would appear so precious to you, while pitiless indifference is all that could truly exist? You see a problem of Evil, because you recognize the good. The good exists, because He exists, the bad exists because you have an adversary on this earth. In darkness we have always strived for the light, and in light we have always forsaken it. It is for your sake that your heavenly father sent His son to bring the hope of life to you and deliver you from the darkness.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why did I have an abusive and perverse sociopath for a father who drove my mother to abuse alcohol? Why did my OCD begin to manifest as a child while in my adolescence I developed bipolar disorder? Why am I highly prone to catatonia and psychosis which makes my conditions that much more terrifying? I have been through enough tormenting trauma to write a book - and I used to wonder why God had allowed all this garbage happen to me. Frankly, I don't have the answer to that question but what I do know is that once I recognized I am still a sinner nonetheless and that Jesus was the only one who could justify me before a holy God, I was liberated.
You can not blame God for that. He gives us a sound mind. "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (1Timothy1:7) Every Sunday we pray: "Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven". Everyone in Heaven has a sound mind, we can have the mind of Christ. That is the journey we are on and the direction we are headed in. I ask myself all the time: Why does God allow this and why does God allow that? Slowly He shows me. We do not learn all at once. He writes the book of our life before we are even born. Every chapter and very verse is written. He has a plan for our life. It would be nice if we could get some help from our parents but that does not always seem to be the case. Perhaps you should ask them why they did not follow the Bible and God's plan?

Galatians: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟486,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Can you think of a good reason for pain?

A good example would be working out to get your body in top shape. It takes a good deal of pain to achieve significant results.

You are not the person you see when you look in the mirror. You are the spirit in residence in that earthly body.

Your experience here in this world is not for your earthly body it is for your spirit.

You are here to prepare for eternity. This life is a tiny moment in all eternity.

Any pain you endure in this life is to get your spirit in top shape for eternity.

It's up to you to accept or reject this training.

God has given you a choice.

From my perspective, every bit of emotional pain I endure or witness is there for a reason. I have a choice as to how I will respond to each incident. That response is what will develop my eternal spirit.

If there are no such experiences I will have no opportunity to grow.

The devil is the perpetrator of evil. God does not promise you will not encounter evil - He does promise to be with you when you do if you want Him to be.

I like traveling through this life with God. It would be a horrible place without Him.

• Winner
Reactions: Uber Genius
Upvote 0

Kim7229

Oct 27, 2018
Redwood City
✟17,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My answer would not satisfy you...(and really does not completely satisfy me, but having encountered God, and trusting Him, I am left to accept it in faith)...
I'm curious about something. You're not the first person I've come across who has claimed to have encountered God. So I'd like to ask how you went about verifying that what you encountered was really a god?

God knows better than I do what is loving, and He is sovereign. If He chooses not to intervene, then it is for our benefit, no matter how it might seem to me at this time...and who am I anyway to question the Creator of all?
So you believe that love for humans and love for God are two different things. Interesting

Upvote 0

Kim7229

Oct 27, 2018
Redwood City
✟17,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The world and all that happens is just as God planned. We cannot reason up to why it is this way. But for those who spend time in his word, he reveals much about why these things happen.
Dave, how would you reconcile evil in this world if it is was God planned? Why would a loving God plan for evil?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kim7229

Oct 27, 2018
Redwood City
✟17,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
We read this is the story of Noah. The whole time he was building his Ark he was warning people of the flood. But no one would listen to him. Today we have the exact same story. Matt 24:37 "As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." Only today the world is not being cleansed with water, the world is being cleansed with fire. JW and LDS go door to door in an attempt to warn people and yet they will not listen and repent and turn away from their sin. As individuals, as a city, as a state as nations have to decide for God. Even now as a nation American has to decide if we want to serve God or not. People are given a choice: Life or Death, Blessing or Curse, Sickness or Health, Poverty or Prosperity. We can choose liberty and freedom or bondage and captivity. We can choose gladness and joy or sorrow and misery. That is the choice we make, God requires us to make. You can not blame God for the mess that man and the devil makes out of things. I know you want to accuse God. But that is just the way of the infidel that refuses to take responsablity for the choices and decisions that they make.

Matthew 11:19 "We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge and you did not mourn.’ For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon!’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at this glutton and drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and of sinners!’ But wisdom is vindicated by her actions.”

The cities will be easy to rebuild. The infrastructure is still there, the roads, water supply, sewers & the foundations for the houses. All the vegetation will come back very quick because the roots are still there. Only now God will give the town to people who honor Him and give Him Praise and Glory. They have 3D printers that can frame in a house for around $5,000. As long as you have a foundation to build on. We need to return to the day of $3,000 cars and $12,000 houses.

Job 1:21 "The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.”
Who set up the rules which you describe above - which God adhered to?

Upvote 0

Kim7229

Oct 27, 2018
Redwood City
✟17,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for sharing. What do you suppose is the reason God doesn't prevent things like the Holocaust, the Boxing Day Tsunami & Earthquake, babies getting cancer, etc.?

Upvote 0

Kim7229

Oct 27, 2018
Redwood City
✟17,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
None of these things were intended for us, nor are they given to us forever. How do you reconcile it without God? That life would appear so precious to you, while pitiless indifference is all that could truly exist? You see a problem of Evil, because you recognize the good. The good exists, because He exists, the bad exists because you have an adversary on this earth. In darkness we have always strived for the light, and in light we have always forsaken it. It is for your sake that your heavenly father sent His son to bring the hope of life to you and deliver you from the darkness.
Thanks for the response, but this doesn't really answer my question. Perhaps I should ask what do you suppose is the reason God doesn't prevent things like the Holocaust, the Boxing Day Tsunami & Earthquake, babies getting cancer, etc.?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

How do you reconcile it?

It's very easy for me to reconcile it. If a person murders another person, I suppose that is evil. But if a person murders two people, does that make it twice as evil?

But suppose that rather than murdering a person, he only harms him. Is that half as evil? If he harms two people, that being twice as evil, is it as evil as killing a single person?

But then on the one end of the scale he insults a person, that is evil. On the other end of the scale he muders him. That certainly is much more evil than insulting him.

So we have to conclude that evil is on a scale of sorts. Without a lesser evil to compare it to we can't judge the greater evil. And we haven't even looked at "good" yet, which would be on the scale but way over the other side.

Without good to compare it to, we would never know evil. If you heard of something happening, without anything to compare it to, it would be neutral. So the same God that allows all this evil to occur is the same God that gives us the good to compare it to. Without the good we would not recognize evil.

Now suppose I said to you that you have never seen nor heard of evil, only good.

Upvote 0