South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Food for thought for professing Christians.

8Likewise also these dreamers defile the flesh, reject authority, and speak evil of dignitaries. 9Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” 10 But these speak evil of whatever they do not know; and whatever they know naturally, like brute beasts, in these things they corrupt themselves. 11 Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit, and perished in the rebellion of Korah.

For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

Peace be with all those in the body of Christ

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
trump has been defeated in a fair election; he is no longer President in 17 days. "For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves." Romans 13:1 The election is over. It is bizarre for you to cite Scripture about peoples' behavior that reflects more of the hypocrisy of the trump supporters than anyone else.

If you want a better reference, try reading about how Satan offered Jesus all the kingdoms of the world...

"Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor; and he said to him, “All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me.” " Matthew 4:8

Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course I'm seeing and hearing just as as much bashing of Biden by some Christians.

I think we're all susceptible to it. After I realized my part, and the spirit involved, I closed the door through which it was gaining entrance (a social media site in my case where I was bombarded daily).

Reactions: MarkSB
Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

One should make a distinction between "hating and bashing" and an honest assessment of a person's rhetoric, behavior, and character! It would seem to me that excusing everything, ignoring his speech and actions, and turning a blind eye has the effect of Christian loyalty being called into question as the utmost hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jude isn't the easiest text to work with. Are you casting Trump in the role of Michael, or Moses, or Cain, or Balaam, or Korah?

I see that you're posting from the UK, so you have a non-American's view of the situation. What is your view of our 2016 and 2020 elections?

In reference to your subject line: I agree that when we're debating politics or criticizing government leaders, it shouldn't cross over into hating or bashing. Whatever I think of President Trump's political views and tactics, he is a person created in the image of God and loved by God.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to miss all those "must obey leaders because God put them there!!" Scriptures when they disappear from a lot of evangelicals Bibles on Jan 20th, once Joe Biden becomes President. Just like they all disappeared for the 8 years President Obama was in office.
tulc(guesses they only apply if there's a large "R" after someone's name?) :scratch:

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

8Likewise also these dreamers defile the flesh, reject authority, and speak evil of dignitaries. 9Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” 10 But these speak evil of whatever they do not know; and whatever they know naturally, like brute beasts, in these things they corrupt themselves. 11 Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit, and perished in the rebellion of Korah.

For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

Peace be with all those in the body of Christ

Trying to defend Trump by throwing around warnings about "speaking evil of dignitaries" is a form of loving the world. Your post is hypocritical and manipulative. You're gaslighting people who (rightfully) have a ton of problem's with Trump's conduct because you've elevated your politics above your religious convictions.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,326.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It's also worth pointing out that the President is not an authority in the sense that this passage means. It was written in a time of kings, where the kings held ultimate power. In the US it is the people who hold the power and the elected officials exercise it on the behalf of the people. It's not perfect since there is no way for the people to remove somebody once they are in federal office, but it's still the basics of how we do things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It is obviously not God's will that Trump be president after the 20th, the Trunp judgment is quickly coming to an end. It seems his will is to judge us with Biden instead. As for the church, it is time for some introspection and it is worth us asking why believers voted for either of these vile men.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
We have to distinguish between---kicking a horse when he is down, and justifiable, accurate condemnation for the acts of an unrepentant sinner who claims to have no need of forgiveness from Jesus for he does nothing wrong! As a public figure who has often stated, and indeed, boasted of his sins, there should be public condemnation for those acts. At the same time, remember that though God did send enemies upon Israel to teach them a lesson, He condemned those who took advantage of their positions and humiliated the people without cause. We should not take joy in the humiliation of those God condemns. They require pity, and prayers that they learn the true love of God and learn to display it through their character.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is true. He's a public and unrepentant sinner, but God cares for him, and wants him to repent and change his ways.

Pray for him.

And now we'll have someone replace him who is the same, but covers it up with a cover of smooth talk and flowery words that will make people feel better about being lied to. As long as it makes the people feel good, it's ok.

• Agree
Reactions: marc b
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Trying to defend Trump by throwing around warnings about "speaking evil of dignitaries" is a form of loving the world. Your post is hypocritical and manipulative. You're gaslighting people who (rightfully) have a ton of problem's with Trump's conduct because you've elevated your politics above your religious convictions.

Some are ok with bad behavior as long as it results in them getting what they want: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...about-mitt-romneys-taxes-hes-still-not-sorry/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's also worth pointing out that the President is not an authority in the sense that this passage means. It was written in a time of kings, where the kings held ultimate power. In the US it is the people who hold the power and the elected officials exercise it on the behalf of the people. It's not perfect since there is no way for the people to remove somebody once they are in federal office, but it's still the basics of how we do things.

People can be impeached and removed from Federal office. As you mat remember, trump was impeached by the House but the Senate wouldn't convict him.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And now we'll have someone replace him who is the same, but covers it up with a cover of smooth talk and flowery words that will make people feel better about being lied to. As long as it makes the people feel good, it's ok.

There is a huge difference between trump and Biden. In 17 days we will be rid of one and, thank God, we'll have the other -- a decent family man with years of political experience at the highest level instead of a failed businessman.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There is a huge difference between trump and Biden. In 17 days we will be rid of one and, thank God, we'll have the other -- a decent family man with years of political experience at the highest level instead of a failed businessman.
Biden is a tax and spend liberal who hasn't met an abortion he hasn't celebrated. He also has a long history of corruption and I fear we're looking at 4 years of investigations involving Biden and his kids international dealing. Trump is his own form of disaster for the country but let's not pretend Biden is some nice family guy who will be a blessing for the country.

• Agree
Reactions: marc b
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Biden is a tax and spend liberal who hasn't met an abortion he hasn't celebrated. He also has a long history of corruption and I fear we're looking at 4 years of investigations involving Biden and his kids international dealing. Trump is his own form of disaster for the country but let's not pretend Biden is some nice family guy who will be a blessing for the country.

Believe what you want; it doesn't matter. In 17 days he'll be the President and trump will be gone.

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,326.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
People can be impeached and removed from Federal office. As you mat remember, trump was impeached by the House but the Senate wouldn't convict him.
I was very specific about what I said. The people have no way to do it. And that also ignores the fact that only the House and the Senate can remove members of their respective houses.

Upvote 0