Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was in the store last night and heard a sound track playing Will It Go Round In Circles by Billy Preston. Never realized how cool this old song was, but it was essentially about just being yourself, no matter whether you would be accepted or not. The song was written back in the early 70s when LPs (long playing records) were still being sold. The meaning of Will It Go Round In Circles? was, “Will people buy this album if I just write it the way I want to, and stay true to myself?”

Here’s the question, Christian: Are you being yourself, or are you too worried about what other people might think? Are you following your own calling, or just doing whatever everyone else tells you to, even if it means doing something no one’s ever tried before? Are you admitting to mistakes or failures, or refusing to own up to the fact that the “bad guy” in you sometimes wins? Are you sharing what you truly believe with others, or too afraid your views might get rejected to speak up?

Are you real? Posting a thread like this is a case in point for me. I just do whatever I feel led to regardless.

Grace, peace and blessings in Christ Jesus our Lord, and thanks for any replies that might be posted in advance. For those willing to reflect, it reveals how genuine we are both with others and with ourselves.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does that equate to the 'build it and they will come' theme *_*

I suppose. :) I thought to add a footnote that it pays to conform ourselves to Christ's image, since it may not always "fly" if we stay our same old ugly selves, LoL.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was in the store last night and heard a sound track playing Will It Go Round In Circles by Billy Preston. Never realized how cool this old song was, but it was essentially about just being yourself, no matter whether you would be accepted or not. The song was written back in the early 70s when LPs (long playing records) were still being sold. The meaning of Will It Go Round In Circles? was, “Will people buy this album if I just write it the way I want to, and stay true to myself?”

Here’s the question, Christian: Are you being yourself, or are you too worried about what other people might think? Are you following your own calling, or just doing whatever everyone else tells you to, even if it means doing something no one’s ever tried before? Are you admitting to mistakes or failures, or refusing to own up to the fact that the “bad guy” in you sometimes wins? Are you sharing what you truly believe with others, or too afraid your views might get rejected to speak up?

Are you real? Posting a thread like this is a case in point for me. I just do whatever I feel led to regardless.

Grace, peace and blessings in Christ Jesus our Lord, and thanks for any replies that might be posed in advance. For those willing to reflect, it reveals how genuine we are both with others and with ourselves.

While I can't say that I always pull punches, I do try my best to exhibit some level of emotional intelligence when dealing with other people. My overall goal as a Christian isn't to ride roughshod over others but rather to do my best to challenge and/or encourage us all to grow in Christ. However, I'll readily admit that I can only see the world as I think God/Jesus/the Holy Spirit is leading me to see it as I too learn about and deal with the people I encounter. There could be instances where I myself have my own unfortunate, myopic view of things ... even as I attempt to "keep it real!"

Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My overall goal as a Christian isn't to ride roughshod over others but rather to do my best to challenge and/or encourage us all to grow in Christ.

Myself as well. I can be a tough debater sometimes, and make people uncomfortable. But it's only because I'm wanting to make them think. I see nothing wrong with doing so when it's done in the right Spirit. :)
There could be instances where I myself have my own unfortunate, myopic view of things ... even as I attempt to "keep it real!"

Yes, and this is why I tend to engage people by asking questions. It exhibits a genuine desire to want to know why they think like they do. Occasionally you can learn things from just about anybody, and the transparency and humility of admitting that's possibility is I think fairly becoming of Christians.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for reminding me of this old tune. Need to add it to my playlist. To answer your question, yes to both. Sometimes I'm able to be myself and sometimes I'm not even honest with me, let alone anyone else.

Yeah. Been listening to it some more this morning. Positive, self-affirming stuff does good things to my moods.

The world has a way of trying to keep us from getting in touch with the real us; the person He created us to be. I think the real challenge is to not allow them to succeed.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here’s the question, Christian: Are you being yourself, or are you too worried about what other people might think?]

forgiving others as well as getting older has freed me

so different from the "quiet, wouldn't speak up, worried about what others think" person used to be

sometimes don't even recognize myself
but also different since becoming a parent
(still an introvert, though)

so yes, am becoming my true self

• Winner
Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
forgiving others as well as getting older has freed me

so different from the "quiet, wouldn't speak up, worried about what others think" person used to be

sometimes don't even recognize myself
but also different since becoming a parent
(still an introvert, though)

so yes, am becoming my true self

Wonderful post!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With Big Hair Comes Big Responsibility...

"That's The Way God Planned It" by Billy Preston

Glory to God! You know, when I posted this I had no earthly idea Preston was a Christian! And a strong one by those lyrics. I thought he was just a secular artist, and I was reapplying his words. Wow! Check that out....

Thanks for the post! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟200,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Glory to God! You know, when I posted this I had no earthly idea Preston was a Christian! And a strong one by those lyrics. I thought he was just a secular artist, and I was reapplying his words. Wow! Check that out....

Thanks for the post! :oldthumbsup:
You're welcome. Billy was a talented singer, song writer, and performer. While he is remembered by many for his popular hit songs, his roots were in gospel music and hopefully he endured as a Christian 'till the end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soul-searching

Jan 27, 2018
Denmark
✟55,820.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Grace, peace and blessings in Christ Jesus our Lord, and thanks for any replies that might be posed in advance. For those willing to reflect, it reveals how genuine we are both with others and with ourselves.

Everything in life is about compromises because we are not only us. In school, in our personal life, at the job, we co-exist with others, that is why we must sometimes learn to keep our truth to ourselves, and i do not see anything wrong with that. In fact i think a person who can lay down his ego, is more real than anything. I think being real can involve thinking of others too, it needs to! Most of us think we know who we are ,but in most cases we don´t. if we want to know who we are, it´s better to ask someone close to us rather than ourselves;)

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everything in life is about compromises because we are not only us. In school, in our personal life, at the job, we co-exist with others, that is why we must sometimes learn to keep our truth to ourselves, and i do not see anything wrong with that. In fact i think a person who can lay down his ego, is more real than anything. I think being real can involve thinking of others too, it needs to! Most of us think we know who we are ,but in most cases we don´t. if we want to know who we are, it´s better to ask someone close to us rather than ourselves;)

Love your response! In some cases (like with myself), we can be somewhat hard for others to read sometimes, which alters it a bit. But it still never hurts to ask others how we are coming off - especially a spouse or close friend, who distinguishes the real us from the person others may think they are seeing. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums