✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Oh goodie, no-one ever starts a thread about this -_-

Look, just because something exists in "the world" doesn't make it bad, and the label of "in 'the world'" is very easy to throw at things if you hope it sticks.

As a Big Meanie Atheist and fully paid-up member of "the world", I find it necessary to breathe at times.

Better stop breathing now. I think people "of the world" do that.

The standard advice is, don't play anything you think would be compromising your standards. I would hope people in general don't do anything that compromises their standards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tirgithin

May 4, 2013
✟7,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What Gadarene wrote.

SlenderMan, context is everything. Read the verses preceding the verse and following the verse. Which scripture are you talking about?

If you mean Matthew 6:24, it speaks about not having money as your master. Not letting wealth rule you.

If you are talking about 1 John 2:15, it basically talks about being over attached to the world in a unhealthy way, that you can't let go. That you end up loving what will pass more than what is important and eternal, God. It warns not to be too caught up in desires and lusts for the material, that it is all temporary and that it can become between you and God.

Also, a lot of things have the potential to be bad for you. Moderation is key and knowing your limits. Another important one is being able to seperate fiction from reality and seeing it as entertainment. Not as alternate way of living, so you don't have to face the world, etc.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As a former extreme gamer....as in I tried to play everything, then played it 14 hours a day (im disabled) I can tell you once I pretty much stopped I noticed how everyone makes excuses to play game they shouldn't. Just as I did. Heck I even made excuses to get illegal copies of games. >.<

I'm not saying don't play games. But we all to often find a excuse to play questionable games. COD is a game Jesus would not play because of its violence and language. Mass Effect is along the same lines. Skyrim is also the same. But none the less people can play what they want. My view had become "Would Jesus play this game?".

The view of he ate with sinners does not apply to this. Those sinners were actually humans, he had a purpose being that. Where as a video game you don't play to try and get it saved. You play it for personal reasons. In my case gaming became an idol.

Of course my other thing is wait until your older and look back and say "Wow, I spent so much time playing games when I could have been doing things that matter like trying to save my friends, helping at church, studying for college....etc. Games are temporal. THey happiness is brief then we go buy another one for more happiness.

Looking back as I said I can't believe how much time I wasted. I can see why others chose not to really hang out with me because they would say I needed a life. Its true.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I don't think video game is bad , so it's not a sin when we love it .

I think it depends on the video game. I think you're good if you say you enjoyed a game, but when you throw in "love" for games like GTA, Manhunt, Postal, that could be a problem.

Upvote 0

sunnynevada77

May 23, 2013
✟7,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Golf isn't that bad happyboy :)

As far as videogames go, ask yourself what values you get from it. Does it provide harm in your life in any way? Does it have a negative effect on your personality? If there is no negativity transferring from the screen into you, I don't see a problem. If there is a problem, the solution can be found from within.

Should probably ask yourself these questions regardless of religion anyways. Same goes for any type of media or activity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The-Doctor

Man with a scarf
Nov 12, 2002
England
✟28,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh goodie, no-one ever starts a thread about this -_-

Look, just because something exists in "the world" doesn't make it bad, and the label of "in 'the world'" is very easy to throw at things if you hope it sticks.

As a Big Meanie Atheist and fully paid-up member of "the world", I find it necessary to breathe at times.

Better stop breathing now. I think people "of the world" do that.

The standard advice is, don't play anything you think would be compromising your standards. I would hope people in general don't do anything that compromises their standards.

Personally sometimes I play completely contrary to how I might behave in reality...just to see how it feels...sometimes it's a scary experience.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Personally sometimes I play completely contrary to how I might behave in reality...just to see how it feels...sometimes it's a scary experience.

I used to do that.

Now I find I actually can't do that. So I don't. I'd only do it if there's a completely different gaming experience if you played the evil path.

Upvote 0