Christianity with traits of Buddhism, is it possible?

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I simply want the pain to stop. If I can train myself to not want anything in life then I won't hurt anymore. Hence the question.

Pain is a part of human life and no one gets away from it. I have pain all the time and so do many others it does not mean God is not there even St. Paul had pain and ask God many times to take it away but God said no to keep St. Paul humble. Offer your pain up to God as this as St. Paul says "I am glad I can suffer for you. I am pleased also that in my own body I can continue the suffering of Christ for his body, the church. " Col 1:24. A little commentary on the verse:

Let’s begin by saying that Christ lacks nothing in the grace and the mercy that he accomplished for us on the cross which is our salvation. He lacks Nothing! His suffering and death for our sake, for our salvation is a gift of mercy poured out for all mankind. No one “lacks” from this free gift of his. So, what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions? It is us! At least many of us. When we refuse to accept this gift, when we fail to trust him, when we fail to love him (or our neighbor) then we “lack” what he has given us in his “afflictions” on the cross. Jesus does not force us to accept this free gift of salvation; rather, we have a choice to accept it through obedience to him.

So then, how can we complete what is lacking? We can when we offer up our suffering, when we unite our sufferings with Christ’s. St. Paul says “I am now rejoicing in my sufferings for your sake”. Whose sake? For the church, the body of Christ. St. Paul also says we are all members of the body (of Christ)-For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For in the one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.(1 Corinthians 12:12-13). Christ through his suffering on the Cross redeemed all these, all the members of the body. As fellow members of this body (His body) we can unite our suffering with Christ’s. In this way we can participate in the salvation of others, the other members of the body of Christ.
Source

The only way to be free of emotions like pain is to be a Vulcan like Spock on Star Trek

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I can't really get past the pain and what's why I'm saying this, but are you all telling me that my only option is to just shut up, deal with the pain and loneliness and forget about not hurting? That's how I'm taking it, and after 10 years....it's too much, so what am I supposed to do? If anyone says give it to God....I've been praying for 10 years, I've made effort and nothing has worked. Keep in mind 10 years of trying multiple things, so if you suggest it I've most likely tried it; this is why I want to just lose all attachment and desire, so I don't hurt anymore.

No, I re-read my response and that certainly wasn't what I said. But, you appeared to ask a question and I did my best to try to help you. You are not and will never be alone in suffering pain. In some ways, I think we all try to detach from what causes us pain; but to set out to detach from everyone in an attempt to avoid pain isn't what Scripture teaches.

Someone suggested that buddhism is a way of life. But, that is also what Biblical Christianity is supposed to be. The two are not compatible.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,388.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you want to be detached from the world, why accept an aspect of Buddhism when there is a long tradition of Christian monasticism with a deep emphasis on fleeing the world and dedicating oneself entirely to God and prayer?

The problem with Buddhist detachment is that the end of that detachment is the annihilation of the self from the illusion which is this world. It has a Gnostic character which Christianity rejects when it says this world is real that people not illusory selves in need of disintegration. The world is good but what corrupts us is our misuse of it, both the objects and people therein.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think the only aspect of Buddhism that seems to overlap with Christianity is in those sects that emphasise compassion and loving-kindness. But there are many other areas where Christianity and Buddhism part company. I don't think the Buddhist philosophy is a solution, but you need help to deal with what is behind your pain.

Buddhism would not address those issues the way the Gospel can. I dabbled with Buddhism / Christianity when I felt rather hopeless earlier in my life. I understand the appeal but it wasn't a good mix for me.

I had terrible anxiety in my twenties, and at the time rational methods just were not working for me. I couldn't go the suicide route either. A psychologist or two made things worse. I have had to be on a couple of meds which I find have helped, as well as the means of Grace - scripture meditation and prayer.

If you are insistent looking into Buddhism, maybe check out some of the writings of Thomas Merton, he doesn't teach Buddhism, but he was a Trappist Monk in dialogue with Buddhists through much of his life.

I'd suggest alternatively for emotional healing that Clay and Mary McLean have good resources that you can listen to, and some are downloadable online, and Clay speaks from experiencing very difficult and painful circumstances in his life. They have many teaching sets which go a bit beyond the lecture style of some teachers, on their website.

www.mcleanministries.org/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Like the question says, is it possible to be a Christian and really want to have an aspect of Buddhism? Specifically, to train yourself to want to have zero attachment so that you do not feel pain anymore.

Well, how do you not become attached to not being attached? The desire not to have any attachment is itself an attachment, is it not?

In any case, pain and suffering are part and parcel of the Christian life. Jesus made this point very directly and explicitly to his disciples. Jesus did not encourage them to find ways around suffering but to find in him a joy in the midst of suffering that Buddhism knows nothing of.

Basically I'm tired of being in emotional pain all the time. I'm quite certain no one wants to hear the story again, but simply put I'm sick of hurting and I want it to stop!!!

I'm afraid I don't know your story so I can't respond intelligently to your desire to want the hurting to stop. Sometimes, hurting is necessary; it can have an enormous benefit if it crowds us to God and teaches us to depend upon Him as we were made to.

I know Christ is real and alive; I believe....but I can't accept that Christ/God/Holy Spirit wants me in a pain for the rest of my life, but it's 10 years on with no hope in sight.

I have lived with pain for a fair while now, too. In the last four years or so in particular, pain has drastically altered my life. It has left me very weak - far weaker than I've ever been. I was a gym rat for a long time, you see, and a martial arts instructor for almost three decades. Now, I can barely lift ten pounds without putting myself in debilitating pain. It's been...challenging. If I didn't know that in all things God intends to make me more like Christ, that even in my pain God can achieve eternal purposes, I would have fallen deep into despair. But my pain is not without its uses. If I allow it, my pain can be used by God to draw me close to Him and to be conformed by Him to the image of His Son. This is true for you, too.

So the question is can I train myself to have zero attachment and still be a Christian?

What about an attachment to Christ? What about an attachment to being a holy, just, loving, faithful man? What about an attachment to the Gospel and saving the lost? How can you rid yourself of these attachments and be a child of God?

Because suicide isn't an option, for obvious reasons, but I'm really just at my wits on living with torment that no one cares, no one wants me, and I'm alone all the time.

God cares. God wants you. He's with you all the time.

Before anyone gripes at me, yes I've tried going to church for fellowship and all I get is fake people and no real connection.

I've had to quit expecting anything from those at church and begin to be the person I would like to encounter at church. I have had to learn to love those fake, distant people that God loved enough to die for. Is it possible you could learn to do the same?

Yes, I know Christ said He would be with us even to the end of the age....but He....there is no conversation there, no back and forth....and, well...yeah I'm just done.

I hear from God every time I open His word and read it. He is not silent except when I neglect His word and fail to give Him uncluttered time and space to speak by His Spirit through His word to me. Maybe God has been speaking but in a way to which you're tuned out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like the question says, is it possible to be a Christian and really want to have an aspect of Buddhism? Specifically, to train yourself to want to have zero attachment so that you do not feel pain anymore.

Basically I'm tired of being in emotional pain all the time. I'm quite certain no one wants to hear the story again, but simply put I'm sick of hurting and I want it to stop!!!

I know Christ is real and alive; I believe....but I can't accept that Christ/God/Holy Spirit wants me in a pain for the rest of my life, but it's 10 years on with no hope in sight. So the question is can I train myself to have zero attachment and still be a Christian? Because suicide isn't an option, for obvious reasons, but I'm really just at my wits on living with torment that no one cares, no one wants me, and I'm alone all the time. Before anyone gripes at me, yes I've tried going to church for fellowship and all I get is fake people and no real connection. Yes, I know Christ said He would be with us even to the end of the age....but He....there is no conversation there, no back and forth....and, well...yeah I'm just done. So, thoughts? Can I actually do this or will it end up failing and I'll just have to be in pain until I die?

Matthew 6:24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

John 16:33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

Upvote 0

Senkaku

Shatter the Illusion
Aug 18, 2016
Somewhere
✟66,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
@NW82 hmm...I would think it would be closer to philosophical Daoism than bhuddism. We as Christians follow whats called secular asceticism, seen in the passages that refer to our relationship with the world like not being of this world, being aliens and strangers, loving the world mean you dont have the love of the father, being a friend of the world makes you an enemy of God, etc. But what makes us secular ascetics is the fact that we are not told to completely shut out the world, but to be a light, to disciple them, show them the love of God, to minister, etc. Of course, you also see in scripture Paul becoming all things to all men, using sometimes those things that are sort of seen as "bad" for the sake of the gospel, like when he pointed out a statue to the unknown God and used that to preach from. Even with the meat sacrificed to idols issue he counts the idols as fake and has no issue eating the meat. So, it's not an absolute type of separation, but rather a separation that happens on the inside. it is not external things that ruin our salvation but rather what our intentions are with those external things.

Philosophical Daosim (not the religious kind) has the 3 treasures which are love, humility and moderation. It's emphasis is on the fact that there is a "Way" that is above all ways, it doesn't say what it is, just that it exists and when you find it, you find real life. It is about the natural way of life that you can not argue because it simply is and no one can fight against it. They don't label the way which is why they call it the "way", it can not be label because it just is what it is. So thats why I believe it's closer to Christianity than Buddhism because Buddhism does have certain laws and restrictions and things like that, which puts it in opposition to Christianity, where as Daoism doesn't impose itself per se or have any strict adherences, unless you are speaking of religious Daoism which is really different. Daoism is first a philosophy before it is a religion though, so I don't reference religious daoism as a valid source.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I know Christ is real and alive; I believe....but I can't accept that Christ/God/Holy Spirit wants me in a pain for the rest of my life, but it's 10 years on with no hope in sight. So the question is can I train myself to have zero attachment and still be a Christian? Because suicide isn't an option, for obvious reasons, but I'm really just at my wits on living with torment that no one cares, no one wants me, and I'm alone all the time. Before anyone gripes at me, yes I've tried going to church for fellowship and all I get is fake people and no real connection. Yes, I know Christ said He would be with us even to the end of the age....but He....there is no conversation there, no back and forth....and, well...yeah I'm just done. So, thoughts? Can I actually do this or will it end up failing and I'll just have to be in pain until I die?
Good-sounding ideas are everywhere you look. False belief systems are always founded and built on twisted versions of the truth. We can sometimes see snippets of God's truth in them, but that doesn't mean it's OK to investigate them. The human subconscious is very easily changed in subtle ways. It only takes one incidence of being exposed to something that seems OK but is actually false to be desensitized to the fact it is bad and opens the door for more serious spiritual harm. Far better is to just focus on Jesus and the Word so broadly and deeply that you will instantly recognize when you hear something false.

Jesus really is the answer to everything, but if you want to experience that in this life, you need to focus on him in your life. If you desire great things from him, then draw very close to him. Notice how extreme this verse really is:

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ (Mark 12:30, 1984 NIV)

Furthermore, there is a pattern of explanation of Truth in Scripture that basically boils down to this: If you receive healing, peace, or understanding and it is not from God in his own time, then it will be fake and temporary, can be easily shattered, and leads to greater loss than you had in the first place. In fact, we need God himself to protect us and help us experience the Truth, and that only comes from God, regardless of how things appear.

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” (Matthew 7:24-27, 1984 NIV)

Seek God to resolve any problems. Don't neglect the tools he has already provided, but put your hope in him. Tools sometimes work the way we want and sometimes they don't. Obey him so you can receive from him. If we do not do what he has already told us is good for us, should we really expect him to answer for other things?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Still everything I'm getting here is that, no it won't work. Fair enough. What I'm also getting is "shut up and deal with it because you're supposed to be miserable". Every time someone quotes Paul having a "thorn" or that Christ overcame....that's fine, but I'm not Paul and Christ overcoming is great for salvation, but doesn't change that I live with hopelessness. The only promise we have is in eternal life, not this life, so what's the point of this life but to suffer? Why stay?

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is the General Theology forum and we have focused on your reference to Buddhism, but it seems your interest more about how to find pain relief. I suggest you write a new post in Christian Advice or one of the forums in the Recovery category. In this forum you'll mostly get people telling you about God, which hasn't been very well addressed regarding your pain (although it is in many other threads on this web site), but you can get responses more directed to that with a new post here specific to that.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every time someone quotes Paul having a "thorn" or that Christ overcame....that's fine, but I'm not Paul and Christ overcoming is great for salvation, but doesn't change that I live with hopelessness. The only promise we have is in eternal life, not this life, so what's the point of this life but to suffer? Why stay?
If you think you live with hopelessness, you dismiss God's word.

Romans 5:3 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.​

If you think the purpose of Jesus was to take away pain and suffering, you need to read God's word more.

Acts 5:41 The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name.​

You ask the point of life if it involves suffering. I venture to say you will continue to suffer until you learn the point of suffering. You wish for it to go away without learning from it.

When I was young and suffered, the greatest lesson I had to learn was that God does not promise to take away suffering, only that he uses suffering for his plan. And, his plan is beyond my understanding, so my greatest change was to trust in God. This does not remove the pain. It does lift the weight of pain. Buddhism is an escape from the pain, not a dealing with the pain. It will not work. It is counter to the message of the cross.

Remember the hope that God promises ALL that happens to us is for the good of those that love him.

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.​

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"shut up and deal with it because you're supposed to be miserable".
You are not supposed to be miserable, but you are supposed to deal with misery.

My neighbor suffers years later after a childhood of being abused. I have had many discussions with him. He has thanked me for the help. He also has prayed for years for the pain to go away. He said he asked for help in dealing with it, but God has not answered his prayers. When I pointed out that he had friends that are helping him, that I tried to help him, that this was the answer to his prayers, he need a change in view to see how God works. I suggest you find more Christians to fellowship with. Where two or more are gathered, there Jesus is. This is the blessing of Christian fellowship. You seem to be dissatisfied with this. Work on it.

As to Buddhism and trying to escape pain, my neighbor tried alcohol. Now he has to deal with that addiction. Escape does not work. He abused the charity, love and generosity of those that were trying to help him. He now knows that he must man up and deal with his problems.

I also had another friend that had a troubled child that got involved with drugs. He did not know how to deal with it. He abandoned his family and friends and took his life.

I can not stress enough that Christian fellowship is the best support for the sufferings in this world. If you don't judge them, they will be less likely to judge you.

Yes, we do have to deal with it. Dealing with it, trusting all in God will make you stronger to deal with suffering, but there is no guarantee that it will go away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟887,269.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

From one who was into New Age and Buddhism before coming to Christ, I can tell you that the two ideas don't really work together. If you like you can read my short essay (Link below in my signature). What you need is to really get to know Jesus, to really give your whole heart to him, your whole life to him, and I'm sure you will get the peace you are looking for.

The risk of practicing non-attachement is that you get separated from Christ, since you can't even be attached to Christ. To know Christ in the heart is the real treasure. The closer you come to Christ, the less the grip of the world will be on you, that is how to be holy "detached" from the world.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (John 14:27)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AnnaDeborah

Aug 5, 2018
private
✟30,123.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As Christians, we are called to be part of one body (see 1 Corinthians 12) so we should not be totally detached from others. But the same passage also says that when one part suffers, the whole body suffers.

I can understand wanting to be detached, especially as it sounds as if no one in your local 'body' of believers is suffering with you, but it's not the answer. I don't know your exact situation, so it's difficult to know what would help but one thing that helped me is to concentrate on pleasing Jesus and serving others. The more I did that and the less I worried about my own needs, the less I noticed my own needs.

I pray that your situation improves, whatever it is, and that you are given grace and strength.

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Still everything I'm getting here is that, no it won't work. Fair enough. What I'm also getting is "shut up and deal with it because you're supposed to be miserable". Every time someone quotes Paul having a "thorn" or that Christ overcame....that's fine, but I'm not Paul and Christ overcoming is great for salvation, but doesn't change that I live with hopelessness. The only promise we have is in eternal life, not this life, so what's the point of this life but to suffer? Why stay?
You must've missed what I wrote about it, because it's not any of these things at all. Eternal Life - the blessed Life - is to start here, now, in this life.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

What makes you think Buddhist's do not feel pain? From what I understand that isn't even the aim of Buddhism, as there is always physical pain distinct from grasping and aversion.

Upvote 0

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
What makes you think Buddhist's do not feel pain? From what I understand that isn't even the aim of Buddhism, as there is always physical pain distinct from grasping and aversion.
I'm not talking about physical pain, if you had read the post you would have seen that. What I mean is this: Detachment, also expressed as non-attachment, is a state in which a person overcomes his or her attachment to desire for things, people or concepts of the world.

Upvote 0