Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello!

I've recently had a growing interest in crafts similar to an apothecary but aimed more so towards being one at home rather than a licensed one... but the issue with the "world" surrounding this specific [type] is that... looking up ' books of herbalism ', about 90-99% of the books you find on herbalism is dealt with paganism, witchcraft, and like 'spirituality'.

When coming across an article that talked about if Christianity and Herbalism can mix (and if you're interested in reading or are curious, the article link can be found here), it talked about or questioned if herbalism can be reedemed. And while, for new believers, this particular type of medicine can be a bit of a stumbling block when coming from certain books.. is there any Christian-[safe(?)] books on herbalism and like studies? And if there is, what are they? 'Cos while this is a touchy thing to get into, it's still an interest of mine to practice natural[-istic] medicine without finding myself delving into demonic-like influences...

Reactions: BisonBubbles

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There is a plethora of good texts that aren't new age. Here are some to get you started:
Herbal Antibiotics by Stephen Buhner
Herbal Antivirals by Stephen Buhner
A Modern Herbal by Margaret Grieve
The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aromatherapy by Julia Lawless
The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Worwood
Culpeper's Complete Herbal by Culpeper
The Practice of Aromatherapy: A Classic Compendium of Plant Medicines and Their Healing properties by Jean Valnet

These are the ones I rely on the most.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a plethora of good texts that aren't new age. Here are some to get you started:
The Practice of Aromatherapy: A Classic Compendium of Plant Medicines and Their Healing properties by Jean Valnet

There's an interesting herbal garden in Brussels, Belgium, at the Erasmus House.

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

HannahElizaW

God Says It, THAT Settles It!
Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate

Thank you!! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

I've recently had a growing interest in crafts similar to an apothecary but aimed more so towards being one at home rather than a licensed one... but the issue with the "world" surrounding this specific [type] is that... looking up ' books of herbalism ', about 90-99% of the books you find on herbalism is dealt with paganism, witchcraft, and like 'spirituality'.

When coming across an article that talked about if Christianity and Herbalism can mix (and if you're interested in reading or are curious, the article link can be found here), it talked about or questioned if herbalism can be reedemed. And while, for new believers, this particular type of medicine can be a bit of a stumbling block when coming from certain books.. is there any Christian-[safe(?)] books on herbalism and like studies? And if there is, what are they? 'Cos while this is a touchy thing to get into, it's still an interest of mine to practice natural[-istic] medicine without finding myself delving into demonic-like influences...

One book I've found helpful and doesn't get into the spiritual world is;

10 Essential Herbs by Lalitha Thomas

Really good explanation of how to use them, what dosages are needed and most are common to ones kitchen.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Really good explanation of how to use them, what dosages are needed and most are common to ones kitchen.
Sounds an interesting book.

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Sounds an interesting book.

Indeed! Some of what she uses are foods that double as herbs/healing food and spices like honey, ginger, onion, garlic, cayenne pepper. There is a lot of powerful healing in a homes spice rack.

I'd rather use 1 herb with 20 uses than 20 herbs with 1 use for each.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Indeed! Some of what she uses are foods that double as herbs/healing food and spices like honey, ginger, onion, garlic, cayenne pepper. There is a lot of powerful healing in a homes spice rack.

I'd rather use 1 herb with 20 uses than 20 herbs with 1 use for each.
I'm sure that from a nutritional perspective there's a lot of truth and benefit from it.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

PS: I went to a museum in Brussels with an old herbal garden from centuries back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
is there any Christian-[safe(?)] books on herbalism and like studies? And if there is, what are they?

You are wise to be cautious, but there are some books that are purely factual, like this: Encyclopedia Of Herbal Medicine

If you go back further, medieval monks and nuns practised herbal medicine in monasteries and convents, and there are books from that time too.

Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are a lot of videos on YouTube that go into edible weeds . I don’t have a problem with the new age books as I tend to ignore that stuff . I’m more interested in the medicinal, nutritional or fragrance uses of the plants I’m interested in . Botanical Biology fascinates me still even 35 years after I got my degree.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Guess I'm my own herbalist! Manmade Medicines are allergic to me and I need to go to the root (double entendre) of the healing herb. (My body rejects anything synthetic.) I am with Beyond Organic and also use Youngevity and some of Andrew Lessman's products---all high quality... and then when push comes to shove I find the natural herbs for myself (nothing fancy.)

Maybe the term "herbalism" is a search problem and one needs to dig deeper into the searches because the world is a vampire feeding it's own first?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are a lot of videos on YouTube that go into edible weeds . I don’t have a problem with the new age books as I tend to ignore that stuff . I’m more interested in the medicinal, nutritional or fragrance uses of the plants I’m interested in . Botanical Biology fascinates me still even 35 years after I got my degree.
Yes, it's a fascinating study; and must be especially to you, with your particularly study background.

I visited a herbal garden in Belgium which dated from centuries back.

Upvote 0