Christianity and Consumerism

Are Christianity and Western consumerism compatible?

• Western society IS Chriustianity in practice.

• Christianity has nothing to do with socio-economic issues.

• Western society is as anti-Christian as they come.

• The Chruch which is silent on social sin is no Chruch at all.

• God's people should model a true alternative society.

Results are only viewable after voting.

TruelightUK

Tilter at religious windmills
MizDoulos is right, and I apologize for rising to the bait on this one!

While there is more that could be said on the idea of 'incarnational' living and 'cultural relevance' on the missions field, perhaps it would be best to away from the specific American-European-Russian debate, and return to the core of my original question:  how closely should the Church be linked to one particular culture, in particular the dominant Western consumer-oriented culture in whihc most of us live?  How can we best communicate the values of the Bible in our Chruch life and, oin partticualr, our missionary efforts?  What kind of lifestyle should we be modelling and encouraging in others, as a response to the message of Christ?

Anthony

Upvote 0

Kiwi

Feb 21, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey truelight, I just read your profile, I am a sociology major as well, although only in my first year (combined with social anthropology). I am doing my end of year research project for one of my papers on indigenous christianity, that is new groups that have risen up in the last 10 years amongst indigenous people to try and take the 'westernity' out of their christianity but still adhearing to the Bible. Anthropology is sooo biased against missionaries and christianity, but this is going against one of the major tenants of anthropology which is to be objective (well that's what I'm going to argue anyway). Have you looked into such groups as 'Island Breeze'? they are doing this kind of work. This project is due in a month and I've yet to start it!! I'm also plan to use some stuff from 'Eternity in their hearts' by Don Richardson, also a great book for this topic, although not on consumerism. For myself, God has used my studies to open my eyes to so many things about consumerism. Like why do we always want a Porshe, BMW, when a Nissan does exactly the same job (getting us from A to B). Why do we want Levi jeans when cheap ones are the same? Same with Nike shoes etc. Because of the label, the recognition when people see the label and know, 'that person must have money'. Growing up I always used to rush through grace before a meal but now I am really thankful that I have food for that meal, because so many others don't. I have traveled to many countries all over the world and the happiest people I met where in a small village in a poor Caribbean country. Their love for Jesus was awesome and I didn't hear them praying for God to give them more possessions, they prayed for other villagers to get saved, for us!. I heard a quote from a Chinese pastor that when asked what they prayed for said 'We pray for you (westerners) to be able to resist the temptation of materialism. We can see our enemy and we know what it is (the repression of christians) but you cannot see your enemy' (this is not an exact quote, is a summery).

Upvote 0

TruelightUK

Tilter at religious windmills
That pastor has a point - not an uncommon prayer among Third World Christians, I suspect! Most of us are far too complacent in our own comfort zones.

And you're right, a lot of the covetousness does seem to come form worryb over what people will think of us. You can see it clearly swith kids - "Everybody's got one!", "I can't wear that - what will everyone think!" - but if we're honest most of us adults are much the same - "What will the neighbours think if we don't change the car this year?", "Got to dress to impress!", "Next door took their kids to Disneyworld - can't let them think we can't afford to do the same!" - even if this competitiveness lands us up to our ears in debt! And Christians are are not that different - competing for the best car in the church parking lot, the best suit in the choir. Not to mention inter-church rivalry for the biggest and best sound system (or the 'most anointed preacher'?!?)!

I met a guy at these boards who seemed to be a thoroughly sincere Christian, but got totally offended when I suggested maybe we could afford an extra few cents a litre on petrol to help write off the debts of poorer nations. "I can't afford that! I'm working hard to pay of my own debts - let them do the same. I need every penny to keep up the payments on my second house, my new boat and my credit card bills!"

Many people think I'm weird because I still live in a cheap 'first time buyer' home' on a council estate (instead of stretching myself to get the biggest mortguage I can), still wear clothes I bought 10 or even 15 years ago, and still only have a small portable black & white tv. But, really, if those things are meeting my needs, why would I want anything bigger, better and newer?! Isn't the money better spent on supporting some humanitarian aid programme? Given the Bible's words on having this worlds goods and not sharing them with those who have none, for me, the question is not 'How much can I afford to give?', but 'How much can I afford to keep to myself?'!

The question is, why do we convince ourselves we need these things? Why do we need to struggle to be 'top of the heap'? Who are we trying to prove ourselves to? Where exactly does our security lie? The fervour with which we defend our God-given right to a comfortable lifestyle says a lot about our true priorities in life!  If Jesus stood in front of us and said, as he did to the rich young ruler, "Sell everything you've got and give it to the poor"', how many of us would also go away dismayed?

Anthony

Upvote 0