Christianity and Asexuality (Not Celibacy)

BigV

Dec 27, 2007
USA, IL
✟41,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Through Christianity, it isn't necessarily emphasized that everyone must engage in sex, especially if you wish to become celibate for better devotion to God, Jesus and Paul both noting as much.

Christianity is very much anti sex. Paul says this in 1 Corinthians 7:1
In Pauline view, sex is permissible but it's better to not marry (and have sex)

1 Corinthians 7: 8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

1 Corinthians 7: 32 I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs—how he can please the Lord. 33 But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— 34 and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband. 35 I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord.

1 Corinthians 7: 38 So then, he who marries the virgin does right, but he who does not marry her does better.

So, according to Paul, marriage is for the weak Christians. They are not sinning, he says, when they get married, but they are choosing a sub optimal status.

Now, contrast this message with the Old Testament, where God was telling Israelites to keep the virgins for themselves and that they could keep the wives of freed slaves. And where the men of God could procreate with as many women as they could and not a peep from the prophets.

Upvote 0

Starcomet

Unitarian Sacramental Christian
May 9, 2011
Baltimore City
✟42,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Democrat
I am asexual in real life and have no desire for marriage or any desire for sex (it largely disgusts me most of the time). I see it as a blessing in a way as it allows me to focus more fully on knowledge and trying to understand God.

Upvote 0