Love Your Enemies
Oct 12, 2003
California
✟26,053.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I am interested in attending bible school but don't know which one because they cost too much. My parents don't make enough to take out a big loan and I really want to go to be a youth minister. Do you have any suggestions in where I can go or what I should do? :help: I really feel called to go and learn the word of God and preach the good news but I have a minor setback right now. I hope you can help me. Thanks ;) and by the way..I am a non-denominational christian but my church is based around the baptist, assemblies of God, and pentecostal teachings.

TheScottsMen

Veteran
Jul 8, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
✟8,995.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maranatha College (http://www.maranathacollege.net) tuition is $150 per credit, so your looking at $450 per class. We offer grants and other forms of help. Also, we currently offering 2 classes for the price of one. We also offer online courses (http://online.maranathacollege.net) as mentioned in other post and by this time next year you will be able to get your A.Th Online or in class, B.Th the same a year later. We also offer a large online library that is only available to students (http://www.maranathalibrary.com). Our accredition is currently under ICA & ORU and we will be regional accredited under North Western next year.
http://www.maranathacollege.ne

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A umber of possibilties:

* If God is calling you, the money will be there. Most people afford college with a patch-work-quilt approach - some moeny from loans, some from the govenrment, some from parents, some from jobs, some from scholarships, work-study. Apply and see.

* Consider doing 2 years of education at your local community college and then transferring to the college you really wish to attend. That may be hard to do to a Bible College, but many Christian liberal arts colleges offer programs in youth ministry and your credits from the CC would count toward your degree there - especially if you plan it our carefully.

* The truth is that very few people make a career out of youth ministry. Only very large churches can afford to hire somenone full-time. Many church programs run on part-time workrers and volunteers. You however, will have a tough time living on a part-time salary. Harsh reality: many churches will not hire a woman for YM becasue that involves you teaching males, or, those who do not have that problem, still like to have a man with a group of kids and will only hire women if there are two leaders.

Many young Christians are attracted to youth ministry becasue it has been very helpful in their lives. I think youth ministry is great! But I think it is a very unwise college major. Do a double major. Take YM as a minor, but PLEASE do not major in only YM. It will not prepare you to do anything else and the vast majority of YM majors will ened up doing other things. It is simply not good stewardship to prepare yourself for only one thing that very few people do for more than a few years!!! Majoring in, say, accounting and YM will not leave you unprepared for YM in the slightest!

Reactions: Love&Pain
Upvote 0

Love&Pain

Love Your Enemies
Oct 12, 2003
California
✟26,053.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I wasn't planning on majoring in 'just' youth ministries, I already know what I want to do. I want to start my own christian magazine for teens and I want to evangelize and reach young people around the world. Right now, I am taking journalism but I was asking for when I plan on going for a second degree. Thanks for the advice bliz and if the men are godly they will listen to me teach the good news regardless of my gender. I don't have to worry about being hired because like you said, if the Lord is calling me to do his work then things will work out for me because God will open doors of opportunities for me. I have faith and I trust God that things will work out for me and everyday I walk in the light of the Lord.

Upvote 0

rainbowprism

Elevate My Soul
May 4, 2004
Ohio
✟1,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
VLI, or Vineyard Leadership Institute is a two year immersion program into Biblical theology and hands-on-ministry training. It is possible to do VLI at a distance or at the HQ in Columbus. It is a seven quarter program and tution is $363 per quarter plus about $40 for books. www.vli.org Check out the video clips in the "A Taste Of VLI" section!

Upvote 0

TheScottsMen

Veteran
Jul 8, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
✟8,995.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SobreSpetsnaz said:
:sigh: I'd also like to go to a bible/christian college but im not that good at school.
So what? When I was in highschool I was lucky to get a 2.0 - I'm finishing my degree at Maranatha College and have never dropped below 3.91 ! I never cared for highschool much (public school) and the product is shown in my grades.

Upvote 0

Godlovesusall

Apr 12, 2004
St. John
✟7,916.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I cannot reccommend any schools that are cheaper than others, because I am unaware of them. But ideas to help you get some money are government student loans, do they have them in the states? I am not sure, but here in Canada we have provincial student loans which offers a certain amount of money per week, and there is a Canada Student Loan program, if your parents don't make enough they can give you a full loan covering tuition, residence, and books and you can start paying it back once you are done College and start working. If the U.S. doesn't offer something like that, you could do some fund raising, like a car wash or a bottle drive, bake sales, stuff like that, and you could always work for a couple of years and pay it all off yourself. I wish you the best of luck. I know College is really expensive, but if it is Gods will, you will go to College. There are ways out there that you can go. Also, I forgot to mention, do you have big companies in your area? Some companies will sponser low income students to go to school at half the cost or some will go full price, I would look around. Well, gotta go for now, good luck! God bless!!

D.

Reactions: Love&Pain
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
BTW, your idea of a Christian magazine for teens is an awesome idea.
I am going into ministry and I am hoping to be a youth pastor.. I love Christian books, especially ones for teens and I would love to run a Christian library or bookstore someday!

Upvote 0