Skillet's #1 Fan
Aug 24, 2008
Trying to find my way in life!
✟15,536.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
There is a kid at my school who is a "Devout" Christian. He highlights verses in his Bible, goes to church every time it's open, tells people that they are wrong and points them out in the Bible.

Last year, I sat down with him and told him what I learned. In High School, and everywhere else, you can't stand on a table/desk and yell that everyone is going to Hell if they don't believe in God. If you expect to win people to Christ by doing that you are so wrong.. But I told him to start being friends with those who are unbelievers and let them see that you have something they don't through your actions, A.K.A. not cussing, not getting into rumors, etc. Sounds good right? Sounds like I did what I learned from my pastors, my parents, and from John Cooper (Lead singer of Skillet). They all said the same thing, BE FRIENDS WITH THEM! Show them your light in their dark world! Be salt and Light!

Today I get into my AP History class to hear my peers talking about this kid, saying "Oh yeah, he flicked me off in track and I got to (Insert cuss word) off at him without getting in trouble." They talked about how he is a hypocrite, being the one kid in the class highlighting his Bible and telling them their all going to Hell. I don't like hearing this.

This is bad reputation for the Christian community, just like when you hear on the news about radical Christians doing things we know are wrong, it makes ALL Christians look bad to non-believers, and makes them move farther and farther away from people like me. They think, oh.. If that kid flicked me off and he is a Christian, this kid is just like him and will be a hypocrite. I really hate feeling like this..

I have already talked with him, saying what he did was wrong, and what he's doing is doing more bad than good. But he doesn't listen and keeps on.. I pray everyday that he sees his wrongs and God shows him the correct way to go about his life, but I don't know how to show others that he is not a good example of a Christian.

Any suggestion would be amazing.
Comatose

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Comatose,

You are right. It sounds as though this poor kid is acting and thinking like a Pharisee. Don't worry about 'the rest of them'. Worry about our guy first. If he can see the truth and where he goes wrong, he will be the preacher that wins souls. If he refuses to listen to you, treat him with love and let others see what true Christianity is... love unconditional.

I would suggest to your friend that he consider these scriptures:

1. Paul talks of how he himself struggles with sin even though he is an Apostle:

Romans 7:14-25 (New Living Translation)

14. So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin. 15. I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate. 16. But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good. 17. So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.
18. And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. 19. I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. 20. But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.

21. I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. 22. I love God’s law with all my heart. 23. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. 24. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? 25. Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

Then suggest this:

The only people Jesus ever called out publicly and gave a good tongue-lashing to were the Pharisees... the religious leaders who looked down on sinners and acted/talked/walked like they were holy.

Luke 11: 37-53

But to the prostitutes, drunkards, thieves, homosexuals, adulterers, and every other manner of sinner, Jesus was a friend. He dined with them often. He slept at their homes. He was even called a drunkard and a glutton for it by the Pharisees.

Luke 7:34
The Son of Man, on the other hand, feasts and drinks, and you say, ‘He’s a glutton and a drunkard, and a friend of tax collectors and other sinners!’

If your friend hardens his heart, leave him be and let God do what God does best... at some point we all get a time out or spanking. In the meantime, love him and all the rest of them just as though Christ were loving them right through you.

Upvote 0

Unfit'for'swine

Mar 12, 2010
✟15,699.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is a kid at my school who is a "Devout" Christian. He highlights verses in his Bible, goes to church every time it's open, tells people that they are wrong and points them out in the Bible.

Last year, I sat down with him and told him what I learned. In High School, and everywhere else, you can't stand on a table/desk and yell that everyone is going to Hell if they don't believe in God. If you expect to win people to Christ by doing that you are so wrong.. But I told him to start being friends with those who are unbelievers and let them see that you have something they don't through your actions, A.K.A. not cussing, not getting into rumors, etc. Sounds good right? Sounds like I did what I learned from my pastors, my parents, and from John Cooper (Lead singer of Skillet). They all said the same thing, BE FRIENDS WITH THEM! Show them your light in their dark world! Be salt and Light!

Today I get into my AP History class to hear my peers talking about this kid, saying "Oh yeah, he flicked me off in track and I got to (Insert cuss word) off at him without getting in trouble." They talked about how he is a hypocrite, being the one kid in the class highlighting his Bible and telling them their all going to Hell. I don't like hearing this.

This is bad reputation for the Christian community, just like when you hear on the news about radical Christians doing things we know are wrong, it makes ALL Christians look bad to non-believers, and makes them move farther and farther away from people like me. They think, oh.. If that kid flicked me off and he is a Christian, this kid is just like him and will be a hypocrite. I really hate feeling like this..

I have already talked with him, saying what he did was wrong, and what he's doing is doing more bad than good. But he doesn't listen and keeps on.. I pray everyday that he sees his wrongs and God shows him the correct way to go about his life, but I don't know how to show others that he is not a good example of a Christian.

Any suggestion would be amazing.
Comatose

at least he has the guts to stand up for what he believes in, maybe if there were more men like him then abortion wouldn't be available and maybe the Bible would still be in the Schools. If your soft, then people will tear you down to nothing and leave you embarrassed that you ever mentioned the name of God.

At least he is on fire for God, and being Christian doesn't make you perfect, it means you have divine help.

I would be friends with someone who has the guts to stand up for Jesus, despite the disapproval from fellow Christians and non-Christians. If I were you I would pray that he succeeds in touching the hearts of his peers.

Upvote 0

Comatose

Skillet's #1 Fan
Aug 24, 2008
Trying to find my way in life!
✟15,536.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
@Unfit'for'swine: But he is pushing people away from him because he acts one way, but makes people mad because he is so pushy, yet does things Christians shouldn't do. I know we are never going to be perfect till we go to Heaven. But still, he shouldn't be doing these childish things like flipping people off and cussing people out. Get what I'm saying, I'm happy he's out in school for Christ, but he shouldn't be doing the whole stand on a table and say they're going to Hell, then act like a child.

Upvote 0

Unfit'for'swine

Mar 12, 2010
✟15,699.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
@Unfit'for'swine: But he is pushing people away from him because he acts one way, but makes people mad because he is so pushy, yet does things Christians shouldn't do. I know we are never going to be perfect till we go to Heaven. But still, he shouldn't be doing these childish things like flipping people off and cussing people out. Get what I'm saying, I'm happy he's out in school for Christ, but he shouldn't be doing the whole stand on a table and say they're going to Hell, then act like a child.

His behaviour doesn't sound "Christian" - but then again, we're all sinners and all equally deserving of hell, so I think God should have the say on him.

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2010
✟15,144.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Single
hey
i think youre doing all you can and praying for him i think is the best thing to do if he isnt listening to you.
if people are aware you're Christian, i guess the only thing you can really do is acting the way you beleive God wants you to. i'm not sure what it's like at your school, but at mine, people generally take notice of those who don't swear and are nice, don't drink or go to parties and so on. if people see you acting that way, and not condeming people (have you ever mentioned to this guy about how Jesus didn't come here to condemn?) then people might see a different view of what Christians are like
i've never actually faced this kind of situation, but i hope this helps a little anyway!

Upvote 0

GarrickBrewer

Prayer Warrior
Sep 12, 2010
Winchendon Massachusetts
✟15,465.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I can honestly say that I support him one hundred percent. Jesus told us that since he was persecuted and the disciples followed him they would also be prosecuted. Being made a mockery of is something that we have to deal with as christians, It is satans way of trying to lead us of that path f righteousness. I personaly support this kid, because as far as i can tell he is just voicing his opinion, and not hurting anyone. This kid is on fire for christ as we all should be.

Upvote 0

christian78

Veteran
Jan 6, 2006
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟16,952.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
He has one thing on the more 'subtle' Christian. He tells it how it is.

____ is wrong, It says so ____ and if you take pleasure in doing so willfully, you're sinning. If you're sinning, you're not with God but against him. They'll take that how they may.

I have to agree with unfit, if we actually told those who want to know what this whole thing is about before they get baptized and take on the title: Christian, we wouldn't have these "Pro-Abortion Christians" or "Christians for Same-Sex Marriage". (Keyword, those who want to. What he's doing there if done on a larger scale would be disastrous to the ministry.) When they convert, find truth in it then realize "What!? You don't condone that" and declare the inobservance or general disbelief in entire books of the Bible, Christianity: demographically speaking is that much more corrupted is it not?

Reading back that post, it seems my take is kinda "Better ignorant and unrepentant than a christian only by declaration".

As for this guy though: You need to read him John 8:7. Matter of fact, by your description, I wouldn't be surprised if he could recite it to you by memory. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums