America's moral collapse" -- Natura intends to build 50 houses around
a
non-denominational church where clothing for services will be
optional.

He has fought with his neighbours over property rights, fallen out
with other
nudists over his promotional material and sparked a vigorous internet
debate
over whether the true path to godliness really involves getting naked.

Yet Martin remains confident that Christians will flock to Natura to
experience the spiritual benefits of a lifestyle "free from body
shame". He
is spending more than $US2million ($2.68million) on a nudist
recreational
complex that will also feature a hotel, campsites and a children's
water
park.

"As evidenced by Adam and Eve, we believe that when God's children
are in the
right relationship to Him, they will be naked and unashamed,"
explains one of
Natura's brochures.

US Christians have long been intrigued by the biblical implications
of nudity
and Ilsley Boone, a Baptist pastor, was the founder in 1931 of the
American
Sunbathing Association, an early naturist group.

Martin and his supporters argue that nudism is unhealthy, especially
for
children, unless it occurs in a proper Christian context. He has
criticised
non-religious nudist camps for encouraging alcohol and
sensuality. "We are
going after a totally different group, a group that doesn't want a
sexual
atmosphere," he said. "There is absolutely no relationship between
nudity and
sex." Much of his group's philosophy appears in a book, Nakedness and
the
Bible, self-published on the internet by Paul Bowman, a Canadian
author. The
book cites several biblical references suggesting that God does not
disapprove of nudity and that Jesus may have been naked at several
key
moments of his life -- notably when he washed the feet of his
disciples.

Martin's supporters also claim that nude worship is much more in
keeping with
modest Christian values than are the ostentatious displays of wealth
on show
at the suburban "megachurches", where women attend services
in "designer
clothes and $90 haircuts", says one internet posting.

Although Martin's land has been used by naturists before -- the area
has the
largest concentration of nudist camps in the US -- he has alienated
local
residents with proposed property improvements that have spawned half
a dozen
lawsuits.

He has also upset the country's largest naturist association with his
"holier-than-thou" approach. Earlier this year Natura was expelled by
the
American Association for Nude Recreation, representing 270 member
organisations, on the grounds that his website was
publishing "sexually
exploitative material".

Martin also became embroiled in a bizarre dispute about an article
that
appeared on his website discussing male erections -- a perennial
concern for
novice nudists. Martin told the local press that the article was
meant to
help young men worried about an embarrassing reaction when first
confronting
naked women.

"If you can't speak about human nature, I don't know what you can
speak
about," he said. "Erections have got to be addressed. It's a major
concern of
teen males."

Martin's critics depict him as a religious fanatic whose criticisms
of rival
resorts are damaging the naturist industry. "We are not concerned
about him
taking our members," said Elf Anderson, who conducts nude marriage
ceremonies
at other resorts. "But we are concerned about the impression he gives
to the
public about us. We are all for wholesome family nudism -- but he's
just way
off the scale."

The Sunday Times

source
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,17606977,00.html

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's important to have a healthy attitude toward nudity. Trust me, I have known several nudists both Christian and non-christian and they all concur that there is nothing sexual about going to a nudist resort. Some go as a family. Others, just the adult couple. Nudity can be very liberating, especially in a safe environment.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Trillian

The glue that holds it all together.
Dec 1, 2005
The Boonies
✟299.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
tgg said:
...He has
criticised
non-religious nudist camps for encouraging alcohol and
sensuality. "We are
going after a totally different group, a group that doesn't want a
sexual
atmosphere," he said. "There is absolutely no relationship between
nudity and
sex."....

I'm not clear on what your wanting to talk about here, so I'm just going to bite into the above quote.

Non-Christian nudist camps do not encourage alchohol. The ones that have bars and restaurants sell it, as most bars and restaurants do. The ones that are basically camp grounds don't make it a rule that you can't bring it in. It isn't encouraged. That is mis-use of the word. Alchohol is everywhere and people who are nudists drink just like anyone else. Also, it is illegal to be publically intoxicated, even at evil atheistic restaurants, bars and nudist resorts.

Non-Christian camps do not encourage sensuality or put a relationship between nudity and sex. In fact, they specifically discourage it. It is against the rules to hit on anyone, or even touch a person who did not accompany you to the camp. When touching the one who brought you, you are not allowed to touch them in a sensual manner. In fact, you can not even wear jewelry to a camp that has the specific purpose of being sensual. I don't know what jewelry that would be, but it's a rule.

Other than making the camp dry all he's really doing by opening a Christians-only nudist camp, is making it so that non-Christians can't give him money to use his facility. In TX there are several nudist camps, and there are very, very few non-Christians who live in TX, so it is safe to assume that the vast majority of people at those camps are in fact Christian. There are even camps in counties that are dry, and, yes, dry counties still exist around here. So, essentially a non-Christian camp that is open in a dry county is the exact same thing that he's opening.

What I see in this article is more proof that if you use the word 'Christian' when naming a business you can discriminate against people on the grounds of religion without anyone stepping in and calling it what it is.

Tril

Upvote 0

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
KatAutumn said:
I think it's important to have a healthy attitude toward nudity. Nudity can be very liberating, especially in a safe environment.

Not with my body at my age. Even the most liberal of clothes optional types would beg me to go to clothes mandatory places! Even if behind closed doors!! :blush:

Upvote 0

Trillian

Dec 1, 2005
The Boonies
✟299.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
justanobserver said:
Not with my body at my age. Even the most liberal of clothes optional types would beg me to go to clothes mandatory places! Even if behind closed doors!! :blush:

Nudist resorts, because they aren't focused on sex, are filled with people of all shapes and sizes... although, there are far less of the 'young & perfects' than you would think. In fact, on the website of my favorite resort there are pictures of their guests (taken w/ permission) and no one in the pics are under 40, most are over weight, and some are so old that you wonder if they are even going to make it home. It's about the freedom of living life in your natural state, not what you look like in your birthday suit.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The guy seems kind of eccentric, but so what? It's his business.

Recreational nudism raises red flags of the usual religious right wowsers but most regular Christians are not interested personally but don't necessarily see the decline and fall of the Roman Empire in it, either.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
justanobserver said:

The one time we went to one of these places in Central Texas it was full of flabby sexagenarian pasty-complected Republican retired military and their spouses who got hooked on the concept while serving in Germany.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Angel4Truth

Legend
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
✟65,490.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Trillian said:
In TX there are several nudist camps, and there are very, very few non-Christians who live in TX, so it is safe to assume that the vast majority of people at those camps are in fact Christian.
Unless you know the vast majority of the entire state of texas population , this is quite an assumption and leap .

Care to back it up?

Upvote 0

Skydancing

Dec 11, 2005
✟15,944.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The trouble with nudists is that most of the ones who enjoy being 'sky clad' should never been seen in less than all enveloping garments! :D If being in the altogether is what you like to do then that is not a problem, just don't ask me to join you, the sight would be too much bare to bear!:D

I found a web site on Christian 'Swingers' the other day, really I did, American of course! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trillian

Dec 1, 2005
The Boonies
✟299.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Angel4Truth said:
Unless you know the vast majority of the entire state of texas population , this is quite an assumption and leap .

Care to back it up?

It is a statement based on personal experience. I live in TX, I know a lot of people, I stand in line at the polls come election day and I have never once met a single person who did not identify themselves as Christian, other than the 30 or so who attend The Church of Freethought in Ft. Worth. People vote based on the Bible here. Our elected officials are the ones who spoke the most about Jesus during their election. I can't join a homeschool group because there are only 2 anywhere in the state (that I could find) that aren't Christian. One is ridiculously far away and Pagan, and the other is non-Christian in name only, meaning anyone is welcome so long as they don't want to feel welcome. Also, I've visited a few of the resorts and even there, never met a non-Christian.

So, it isn't exactly an assumption and a leap. I never took a poll, but around here people wear their religion on their sleeve, especially if it's Christianity. There are very, very few non-Christians in this state. That is based on extensive personal experience... but, hey, maybe I'm just not hanging out in the right area's.

Tril

• Agree
Upvote 0

Trillian

Dec 1, 2005
The Boonies
✟299.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Angel4Truth said:

Care to back it up?

According to this google search the actual percentage of Christians in Texas range from 74-79%. Maybe that isn't enough to say that there are very, very few non-Christians in TX, but if you are the other 21-26% it sure feels like there are very, very few. ;)

Reactions: Beastt
Upvote 0

Angel4Truth

Legend
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
✟65,490.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Trillian said:
It is a statement based on personal experience. I live in TX, I know a lot of people, I stand in line at the polls come election day and I have never once met a single person who did not identify themselves as Christian, other than the 30 or so who attend The Church of Freethought in Ft. Worth. People vote based on the Bible here. Our elected officials are the ones who spoke the most about Jesus during their election. I can't join a homeschool group because there are only 2 anywhere in the state (that I could find) that aren't Christian. One is ridiculously far away and Pagan, and the other is non-Christian in name only, meaning anyone is welcome so long as they don't want to feel welcome. Also, I've visited a few of the resorts and even there, never met a non-Christian.

So, it isn't exactly an assumption and a leap. I never took a poll, but around here people wear their religion on their sleeve, especially if it's Christianity. There are very, very few non-Christians in this state. That is based on extensive personal experience... but, hey, maybe I'm just not hanging out in the right area's.

Tril

I also live in Texas , I know tons of non believers here . Im amazed that you ask every person you are in line with to vote if they are believers and everyone else youve ever come into contact with if they are christians and not one was a non believer except you and those 2 others you named . Yes , its an assumption and quite a leap .

Upvote 0

Trillian

Dec 1, 2005
The Boonies
✟299.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Angel4Truth said:
I also live in Texas , I know tons of non believers here . Im amazed that you ask every person you are in line with to vote if they are believers and everyone else youve ever come into contact with if they are christians and not one was a non believer except you and those 2 others you named . Yes , its an assumption and quite a leap .

Actually, I talk about religions quite a bit with a lot of people... not only those I know, but also those I don't. It's not a hard topic to get on here. Especially during the previous election cycles when we were voting for Bush or Kerry and then later when we were voting for/against gay marraige. On top of which, once I start talking to people, they tend to invite me to church or ask what church I attend. Something, by the way, that never happened in FL or HI but happens consistantly here. Like I said, people wear it on their sleeves.

I find religion and peoples views on things fascinating. It's sort of like how my husband can meet someone and within a few minutes be discussing computers or power plants. It's what he is interested in, it's what he talks about. I am much the same way, only my interest (that I can freely discuss with people) is relgion. I don't know why you find being sociable so hard to understand.

And, I am pretty sure I named 30 others. Although, I did forget the only Jew who lives in my town. :) She can't join a homeschool group either.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Trillian

Dec 1, 2005
The Boonies
✟299.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Skydancing said:
Religion is not a topic one would discuss in the UK in a casual social gathering, not unless one wanted to cause embarrassment!

Most Christians here are not at all embarrassed by their faith. I am certainly not embarrassed by my lack thereof. Anyway, Christianity is sort of front and center in the US right now...

Anyone care to get back to the OP?? LOL

Upvote 0

tgg

Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
Brisbane
Visit site
✟20,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Skydancing said:
The trouble with nudists is that most of the ones who enjoy being 'sky clad' should never been seen in less than all enveloping garments! :D If being in the altogether is what you like to do then that is not a problem, just don't ask me to join you, the sight would be too much bare to bear!:D

Joking aside, why do you think that those with less than perfect physiques should not be seen naked?

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2004
✟54,471.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
tgg said:
Garden of Eden without fig-leaves hits raw nerve

Bill Martin's religious-based nudist camp has upset many quarters,
writes Tony
Allen-Mills in New York

19 Dec 05

IN the beginning was the word of God and God never said anything
about
brassieres or boxer shorts. Thus was born Natura, America's first
Christian
nudist camp..................etc........

I'm not for nudist camps personally.

Upvote 0