Christian in essence - How to Increase Faith?

Xwarli

Feb 28, 2018
Ilchester
✟8,274.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Hello all,

Apologizes if this is in the wrong place, but I needed to speak with someone about my faith.

I'd like to say now that I consider myself a "Christian" for all intents and purposes - in that I am a follower of Christ. In my heart of hearts, I believe in Christ. I have always had a sneaky suspicion that there is a higher power, and after exploring pretty much every other religion except Christianity I finally got around to reading the bible and I'm a convert! However, I am not baptized, so not officially, although I plan to at some point.

Now I'm no saint. I admit that I am a sinner, and I feel great guilt for some of the things I have done. But recently I've struggled with my new-found faith.

For a while I was really into reading the bible. I'd do it for 1-2hrs every day. Reading and rereading books and passages - and I felt finally at peace. Then for some reason I stopped. Just didn't feel like it anymore. I stopped wearing my cross. I gave up my lent commitment and I stopped trying to reform my behaviour. Why? No reason - all that comes to mind is the parable of the sower.

Well today something strange happened. I decided to wear my cross. My mood lifted in general - I'd lost that feeling of completeness before - and I read a small amount of the bible (after, weirdly going to sit in a church lobby). Now a great guilt has fallen on me. I have forsaken God! I was raised a pagan, and I'm highly sceptical so it's my opinion that my "rational" brain is working overtime to suppress what my emotional brain knows is true!

So, I wanted to ask - is this waning and waxing of faith normal? And how do I strengthen my faith? I already believe and have faith - but it is obvious is isn't enough!

Many thanks!

• Optimistic
Reactions: Halbhh

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
is this waning and waxing of faith normal?
Each of us is different. So, you will get different answers from us :) And what you mean by "waning and waxing of faith" can be different than what someone else would mean, even if someone says the same thing about their faith.

My first concern is if our faith is "faith working through love" (in Galatians 5:6). Faith is not only belief. So, possibly . . . you need to trust God about this, and you maybe need to get stronger in faith which is not only belief.

God knows; God cares about you; included in faith is we trust how God cares for us >

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

Faith gets us more and more personal with God in His love > Romans 5:5.

And possibly He wants you to talk personally with some Christians whom you know and these are good examples for you.

But please do share with us, however this is good for you :) And welcome to Christian Forums :)

Bill

• Friendly
Reactions: Xwarli
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ephesians 1:12 talks about "we who first trusted in Christ". We trust Jesus to take care of us and to have us grow in the faith He desires for us to have. We keep discovering all this means.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

Xwarli

Feb 28, 2018
Ilchester
✟8,274.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
And possibly He wants you to talk personally with some Christians whom you know and these are good examples for you.
This is true. I've been to Church a few times and I've not gone the past two weeks and have felt very guilty about it - So I think I'll make an effort to go again this Sunday. The vicar is very friendly!

Faith is the trust in God's promises to us. Your attention span may have wavered but nothing you list sounds like your trust in Christ to save you has wavered.
I didn't think of it like that. I'm someone who is very restless and believes if I'm not doing something then it means I don't believe. I don't really know how to express my faith other than by reading the bible - almost like I'm trying to prove to myself or God that yes, I do believe. So, when I don't, I feel guilty.

Perhaps I need to find a way to express faith? I believe that good actions express love. Unfortunately, I'm both short of money and time, so charity is difficult to do. Yet, when I do give I always feel like it isn't enough. I'm am however reminded of my favourite book - Ecclesiastes - that I should be happy with my lot and what I can do, but I'm struggling to compartmentalize it. I read and understand but putting it into practice is difficult.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

Apologizes if this is in the wrong place, but I needed to speak with someone about my faith.

I'd like to say now that I consider myself a "Christian" for all intents and purposes - in that I am a follower of Christ. In my heart of hearts, I believe in Christ. I have always had a sneaky suspicion that there is a higher power, and after exploring pretty much every other religion except Christianity I finally got around to reading the bible and I'm a convert! However, I am not baptized, so not officially, although I plan to at some point.

Now I'm no saint. I admit that I am a sinner, and I feel great guilt for some of the things I have done. But recently I've struggled with my new-found faith.

For a while I was really into reading the bible. I'd do it for 1-2hrs every day. Reading and rereading books and passages - and I felt finally at peace. Then for some reason I stopped. Just didn't feel like it anymore. I stopped wearing my cross. I gave up my lent commitment and I stopped trying to reform my behaviour. Why? No reason - all that comes to mind is the parable of the sower.

Well today something strange happened. I decided to wear my cross. My mood lifted in general - I'd lost that feeling of completeness before - and I read a small amount of the bible (after, weirdly going to sit in a church lobby). Now a great guilt has fallen on me. I have forsaken God! I was raised a pagan, and I'm highly sceptical so it's my opinion that my "rational" brain is working overtime to suppress what my emotional brain knows is true!

So, I wanted to ask - is this waning and waxing of faith normal? And how do I strengthen my faith? I already believe and have faith - but it is obvious is isn't enough!

Many thanks!

Hello Brother. I can offer several key things about faith, and of course one invaluble help you need to gain is indeed that if you believe in Christ Jesus risen, you can be baptized "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit", as Christ told us in Matthew 28:19. This is important to help you greatly through gifts from the spirit (aid from above!), and you should seek it out soon!

The most powerful aid to faith, as Paul told us is
"faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ."

That means actually reading/listening/hearing Christ's own Words as recorded in the 4 gospels accounts. His words read or heard in a truly listening way. This strengthens faith.

So, for all of us, even though having read the gospels before, and even those having read through fully more than once, it continues to be our need to listen to Him!

So, that when I read or listen, with a real desire to hear Him, and He says,

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

It really sinks it, all the way to my heart. He came and even gave Himself for us to great suffering, even when we were alienated from God!

Hallelujah!

I'm so glad you have found out about the Savior!

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello all,

Many thanks!

Hello Xwarli, welcome to CF!

To get right to your question: yes, I think it is somewhat usual for most of us to wax and wane in the intensity of our commitment that is part of our faith. And I think that some of what makes us feel out of sorts with our faith comes from our "rational" brain, as well as daily frustrations with whatever challenges come our way.

And how do we strengthen our faith? I don't think there is a secret formula, but from what we find in Scripture, praying, studying the Bible, and developing good relationships with other Christians are essential. It probably also helps for each of us to try to discern our personalities and individual psychological makeup. ;)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

Many thanks!

Hello Xwarli - welcome to CF.
Good to hear that you are a follower of The Lord Jesus and that in your heart of hearts you believe in Him. Would you say that you have received Him as spoken of in John 1:12 and Revelation 3:20?
If indeed you have been born again then Halleluia! God your Father will, over time, strengthen your faith as in John 1:12 and Philippians 2:13. How do babies become good adults? By good nourishment, good exercise, good examples, submission to good parents, as in Luke 2:51,52.
From what you've said I would say you need to pray to find and get involved face to face with other Christians who are sound and mature in their faith, as well as getting and ingraining the habit of Bible reading and doing the same for prayer.
Pray prayers of thanks giving over 1Peter 1:3-9 and you will be strengthened.
Waxing and waning is normal - not so much faith itself, more spiritual energy, spiritual intelligence and obedience. BUT - God is faithful! 1John 1:9.
Go well,
><>

• Agree
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't really know how to express my faith other than by reading the bible - almost like I'm trying to prove to myself or God that yes, I do believe. So, when I don't, I feel guilty.
See that is actually where you don't show faith. It's to say, "God I don't fully trust in your promise so I'm going to try to do these things to supplement Christ's grace in case it is not enough for me." It's hard to let go of that system but it's the opposite of faith.

Remember when Abraham was promised to be made into the father of many nations? Sara couldn't bare children so Abraham tried to fulfill God's promise through Hagar and it turned out badly. This is what we do when we don't trust in God's promise fully.

I think John 6:28-29 gives a good explanation for what our work in Christ is.

"28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”

29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

Continue to read but do it out of desire. When you feel less than saved and are tempted to read to prove it to yourself then don't read. Instead proclaim to God that you trust in His promise and walk forward in that faith. We think of works externally, like say Billy Graham, but his work was, at it's core, simply believing in Christ without mixing anything else in between.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xwarli

Feb 28, 2018
Ilchester
✟8,274.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Would you say that you have received Him as spoken of in John 1:12 and Revelation 3:20?
It's very difficult for me to judge. I have faith in Christ, and I have moments of joy when I think about God and Jesus - and I love them with the same sort of Love and dedication I have for my girlfriend. However, strangely, my love and acceptance of God is greater then my love for Jesus. I have always had the feeling that there is a higher power so it's easy for me to accept that there is a God and that he is worthy of praise. My love for Jesus however is more of an adoration, a longing and acceptance of his existence. Almost a wanting to meet. But that’s where I have faith. This I hope will grow with time as I push out old ways of thinking.

From what you've said I would say you need to pray to find and get involved face to face with other Christians who are sound and mature in their faith, as well as getting and ingraining the habit of Bible reading and doing the same for prayer.

Definitely getting involved. I feel closer just talking on here, so face to face meetings with others would definitely be useful! I am filled with a bizarre anguish when I have gone to church though, so I have a little fear. It's almost like I want to weep and mourn, but in a good way - like an upwelling of emotion. It's a feeling of happiness and closeness and most importantly forgiveness that comforts but also asks me to face my past.

See that is actually where you don't show faith. It's to say, "God I don't fully trust in your promise so I'm going to try to do these things to supplement Christ's grace in case it is not enough for me." It's hard to let go of that system but it's the opposite of faith.

Continue to read but do it out of desire. When you feel less than saved and are tempted to read to prove it to yourself then don't read. Instead proclaim to God that you trust in His promise and walk forward in that faith. We think of works externally, like say Billy Graham, but his work was, at it's core, simply believing in Christ without mixing anything else in between.

This is very true and quite a refreshing thought. I actually felt a little more less inclined to read today, but I read a little (and will do more later) for the enjoyment of it. Actually learnt more as I read slowly and not rushing through it to finish as much as I can.

But yes, I must let go of the old system of thinking that is ingrained within me, but I have faith that it will happen slowly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's very difficult for me to judge. I have faith in Christ, and I have moments of joy when I think about God and Jesus -
Hi Xwarli - If you have asked you don't need to 'judge' that his Spirit lives in you. Believe and live, Romans 8:14-16.

my love and acceptance of God is greater then my love for Jesus
Jesus is God :), John 1:1, Colossians 1:15-17

My love for Jesus however is more of an adoration, a longing and acceptance of his existence. Almost a wanting to meet.
Revelation 3:20

1 John 4:1-3
God bless and guide you
Trust and obey, trust and obey, to be happy in Jesus, there's no other way.
><>

Upvote 0

Xwarli

Feb 28, 2018
Ilchester
✟8,274.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Jesus is God :), John 1:1, Colossians 1:15-17
I trust in this. It's only recently that I had a Eureaka moment about the Holy Trinity so it is again the slow removal of preconceptions! I will get there I hope though!

Thank you for your reply, however - some good verses to consider!

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello all,

Many thanks!
There are seasons in our relationship with God. Sometimes we feel very strong in our faith and sometimes it is more of a struggle.

God is calling you back in relationship with Him. He misses you! :clap:

Ecclesiastes 3 KJV
3 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

9 What profit hath he that worketh in that wherein he laboureth?

10 I have seen the travail, which God hath given to the sons of men to be exercised in it.

11 He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

We strengthen our faith by walking in faith that God is the orchestrator of our lives. God has the plan and His ways are not our ways. So just because it doesn't seem to us that their is a plan or reason, we need to have faith that since we are doing the will of God that we are in His will for our lives.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My own trust journey was as a result of listening to a podcasts on a site called reasonable faith.org. I listened to both the Defenders podcast and the reasonable faith podcast.

The section on God's attributes was helpful. The attributes of his goodness was especially helpful as my distrust of God had to do with decades of circumstances I thought to be inconsistent with a personal loving God.

Meditating on all the good things God had done in my life since I was a child was helpful.

Finally praying for those who had wronged me greatly increased both my trust as well as my love of God and others.

Finally faith is not a way of knowing something. We don't have the ability to force ourselves to believe an elephant is in the room with us. Neither do we just "force ourselves to believe something for which there is no evidence. This is a strawman of Faith created by the New Atheists. God provides a wealth of evidence. He did it for a reason. Don't ignore it, study it.

Immature Christians make a mockery of the scriptures when they brag about how they just chose to believe without evidence. Examine the evidence, but don't raise the bar of skepticism so high, remember Thomas rejected the disciples witness testimony, Jesus chides him for his rejecting the evidence and holding the standard too high.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums