Tricia

All hail the Brain Queen!
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟7,639.00
Faith
Deist
My story very briefly...

I am 15, and a Christian for 8 of those years until a month ago. I started having doubts mid-June this summer. Mainly, on the issue of the compatibility of the God of the OT(who oversaw much murder, rape, famine, mass destruction) and the God of the NT(all about love). I also have trouble with prayer, because I don't seem to get a response from God. I've tried over and over again, to no avail...

So anyways, I am reading Letters from a Skeptic by Greg Boyd and Oceanic by Greg Egans. I am trying to get stuff from both sides, because currently I am agnostic.  :sigh:

I suppose this was just a rant....

will_wait4Him

Feb 9, 2002
McKinney, Texas
Visit site
✟1,866.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well Tricia, prayers are answered, but they may not be answered in the way you expected or wanted. You shouldn't expect your prayers to be answer right away, sometimes It'll take a while for that prayer to be answered. You should always be patient. I one heard, patience will lead you to a life without want.

Upvote 0

JagSayon

Jun 16, 2002
✟823.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by Tricia
I also have trouble with prayer, because I don't seem to get a response from God. I've tried over and over again, to no avail... 

"God does not answer yes to every prayer I pray; sometimes He answers, "No My child, I have a better way." I got that from Our Daily Bread and has stuck with me for a long time. Maybe the paths that you think are correct may not seem right to Him and he has other plans for you.

JagSayon 

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
First of all, relax. All of us have times when we are agnostic. All Christians have times when they doubt that God even exists, let alone that He loves us.

As you read the OT, you will see that God never, ever sanctioned rape, not even once. Whoever told you that is dead wrong. And, since the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, some of the terrifying things that happened in the OT were meant to put the fear of God into people. And some of the terrifying stuff was brought on by human action and stupidity. Read the whole thing, and if you can find a reference to God being unjust or unfair, I will eat the whole book. Read it with a good commentary, because there are things, cultural things, that won't seem to make sense, but do when looked at in the light of the culture of the day.

As for unanswered prayer, look for the thread called, "Like talking to your best friend," in this forum. It's an effective guide to getting your prayers answered.

I'm going to pray for you now:
Heavenly Father, Daddy, Tricia has been one of your flock for a long time, and she is starting to wonder about other meadows and other shepherds, and the love and trustworthiness of her own Shepherd. Please show her that the God of the OT and the God of the NT are all one person, one being, ever existent and often misunderstood by today's culture. Show her who you really are, and help her to be able to face who you are without fearing what she will see. Amen.

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
lambslove's got it all summed up nicely. Read some books and listen to tapes, that will probably clear up some questions, and with faith and trust, you'll do fine.

The period of doubt is certainly agonising, but that is also a process to maturity. I'll be praying.

Upvote 0

wildernesse

Use less and live more.
Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟16,673.00
Continue to think, learn, and discover all that you are led to inquire into. Not only about your faith, but about yourself--your interests and abilities in all fields.

I hope you have a good day and weekend, Tricia.

--tibac

Edited because it took me a week to realize that led was spelled wrong! Ahhh!

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Tricia,
When I was your age, I abandoned God
with the false assumption that he had
abandoned me. I was going through
many horrible events, and all my prayers
seemed unanswered to me then.

Now that I'm a little bit older,
I recently discovered the trying
times I went through durning my
early 20's were to strengthen
and to prepare myself for what
was to come later. Don't assume
God is not at work in your life,
perhaps he is simply forging and
tempering your spirit for a purpose
that he will reveal to you later.

I will pray for him to give you strength
through this crisis in your life.

Keep the faith, and concentrate on
the blessings in your life.

Your brother in Christ,
Smilin

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HelenM

[affix label here]
Aug 29, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟382.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by lambslove
Ask all the hard questions. God can take it.

But Tricia wrote: 

I also have trouble with prayer, because I don't seem to get a response from God. I've tried over and over again, to no avail...

So I don't think she's afraid to ask. Isn't this more her problem: that God doesn't seem to be answering?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HelenM

[affix label here]
Aug 29, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟382.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by Loki
Good luck Tricia, and follow your heart to contentment, whether it be in the warm folds of a religion or in the brilliance of secular philosophy. Whatever is right for you is what you must do.

How can she know what's right for her?

Is Jesus Christ wrong for anyone?

This doesn't sound like very Christian advice imo :confused:

Upvote 0

Sharky

Rockin dude!
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
Heya Tricia! Sorry, didn't see this thread here before because i didn't know what agnostic means :).

Anyway i know how you feel. We have skeptics. I've met some and it really isn't something solid to stand on expecially when your a new believer. The power of prayer like lambslove said. It's a powerful thing. When you pray, your talking to the Big Guy! You're talking to God! He loves you heaps! He doesn't want to see you mess up your life by wasting time trying to figure out which side is right. God is there and He will show you He is very real. Might not be tomorrow, might not be next week or next month or next year (actually it's possible He might lift you up now :)).

Believers don't walk by sight. We walk by faith. In a sense, that's x ray vision to you :). So go ahead mate! Enjoy yourself. God is there. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.