Preston, Lancashire, UK
✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey out of interest I wondered if anyone knew the names of any high profile soccer players who are known to be 'born-again' Christians.

With the lifestyle players lead these days it does seem hard to imagine a Christian footballer, but Jesus came for all and as a result there will be Christians in all proffessions.

Imagine if David Beckham became a 'born-again' Christian !! That would be a great evangelical tool and would be garenteed to bring at least a few people to Christ!

Bonhoffer

Hoping......
Dec 17, 2003
Preston, Lancashire, UK
✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
PeterPaul said:
David, a born again? That would never happen to a self centered person like him. I look forward to beating him next year (Madrid sucks!)

I hope you were joking, because it would be blasphemy to say that anyone was beyind being saved !

Remember "Love your enemies"!

Upvote 0

Tangnefedd

A Liberal Christian
Feb 10, 2004
✟18,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many premier league footballers are overpaid prima donnas, who think behaving badly will have their fans cheering even louder, and unfortunately they do! We would be much better off if the football clubs employed local lads who worked during the week and played their matches at the weekend. I cannot understand why clubs buy players from other countries or even from other parts of the UK. In my opinion the clubs should have players who live and work in the area like it used to be many years ago. OK the idea is a bit radical, but it makes me sick to see the clubs making millions out of the loyal supporters without giving them much back. The highly over priced replica kits, which are changed frequently and bought usually by folk who can least afford them, are a rip off. You need a second mortgage to afford a season ticket for some of the big clubs. These clubs are about big business and football just happens to be what they are selling, the sporting element has long been consigned to history. Sorry for the slightly off topic rant, but I feel quite strongly about this!

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There are a few north of the border:

Marvin Andrews - Livinston FC
Brian Irvine - Ross County
Richard Huxford - once of Dunfermline, now at Burnley I believe
Juan Sara - Dundee (well, he recently had his contract terminated as they went into administration. There were at least two others who were at Dundee)

Ok so not exactly high-profile but saved all the same. I know that Marvin Andrews and Brian Irvine do a lot of speaking engagements on their faith.

cheers,
Andy

Upvote 0

British One

Feb 10, 2004
Southport, UK
Visit site
✟15,551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Bonhoffer said:
Imagine if David Beckham became a 'born-again' Christian !! That would be a great evangelical tool and would be garenteed to bring at least a few people to Christ!
If he was converted I think there would have to be a massive impact on his lifestyle if his conversion was to make people sit up and take notice.

Jason Robinson (England rugby union international) is a star of the modern game and a committed christian. He is a fine role model.

cheers,
Andy

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Tangnefedd said:
Many premier league footballers are overpaid prima donnas, who think behaving badly will have their fans cheering even louder, and unfortunately they do! We would be much better off if the football clubs employed local lads who worked during the week and played their matches at the weekend. I cannot understand why clubs buy players from other countries or even from other parts of the UK. In my opinion the clubs should have players who live and work in the area like it used to be many years ago. OK the idea is a bit radical, but it makes me sick to see the clubs making millions out of the loyal supporters without giving them much back. The highly over priced replica kits, which are changed frequently and bought usually by folk who can least afford them, are a rip off. You need a second mortgage to afford a season ticket for some of the big clubs. These clubs are about big business and football just happens to be what they are selling, the sporting element has long been consigned to history. Sorry for the slightly off topic rant, but I feel quite strongly about this!
Not only is it off topic but it displays a lack of uderstanding of how football has evolved in the last twenty years.

Do you want to know why footballers get paid so much? Fans demand success -> clubs must buy the best players -> best players become prized commodities -> clubs must bid the highest and offer the best wages to get the best players. Simple really, supply and demand.

And as for making millions out of the fans, complete rot! Most of the top flight clubs get their money from TV deals. Why do you think there was such a fuss when ITV digital went under? No-one makes fans pay £30 to watch their overpaid prima donnas or £50 for a replica shirt every six months. As for the hackneyed 'kids pestering parents for the latest shirts', ever tried saying "No, you can't have one."

At the root of the modern business of football are the fans, no fans no football. They have made it what it is, no-one else.

Andy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Tangnefedd said:
I think the media has made football what it is not the fans, but, what do I know, I don't even like the game, LOL!!!
The only way in which the media have shaped football is that the TV companies have pumped in millions of pounds into the game because it is a highly marketable commodity. Marketable to whom you may ask. The fans.

Andy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.