Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I read a couple of the Left Behind books. I have no idea why, it was an exercise in self torture.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. Conveniently, I guess. I've never read through a single one, though I started the first one. Besides my intense disagreement with the eschatology, LaHaye and/or Jenkins (whichever actually does the writing) writes like a junior high schooler.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There was one book that was so awful I can't even remember the author or the title. It was about a Nephalim running amok in some monastery and the Roman centurion who oversaw Jesus' crucifixion was there (for some reason) to kill it, and it tried to be a serious thriller-type story, but...

If I hadn't been on a plane I would literally have thrown it across the room. It was that bad. I got about 1/3 of the way in before I decided I preferred the boredom of the 1 1/2-hour flight to reading any further.

I know what books you're talking about, but I can't remember the name or author, either lol. I guess they're just that bad.

My mom gave me this series of books by Wendy Alec (one of the founders of GODTV) called "Chronicles Brothers" or something...apparently it's a really popular series. But after looking at the plot summary, I was already wincing. I tried to read a little, and just couldn't. It was like every corny RPG game all mashed together. I'm sorry but I just cannot stand books that take God, Jesus, Satan, demons, angels, what-have-you...and turn them into little more than cartoon characters. It's pathetic and revolting to me. These books were basically about the "brotherhood" of the angels (Michael, Gabriel, Lucifer, etc)...just...so...BAD.

Just as painful is more "historical fiction" where they try to make a 21st-century America-type story in a Biblical setting...ugh...no...almost as bad as all those "frontier" books and Amish books...I'm in pain just thinking about it.

Upvote 0

ProAntiRevolution

Mar 27, 2010
✟2,264.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Oh yeah, I forgot about those. Conveniently, I guess. I've never read through a single one, though I started the first one. Besides my intense disagreement with the eschatology, LaHaye and/or Jenkins (whichever actually does the writing) writes like a junior high schooler.

Those books made The Turner Diaries seem like an exercise in masterful story telling and exacting prose.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just as painful is more "historical fiction" where they try to make a 21st-century America-type story in a Biblical setting...ugh...no...almost as bad as all those "frontier" books and Amish books...I'm in pain just thinking about it.

Haha, my mom LOVES those. And she won't abide my criticizing them at all.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I read a couple of the Left Behind books. I have no idea why, it was an exercise in self torture.

They're great humor. I ate them up when they first came out, but now that I'm trying to finish them, I find them more funny than anything.

I just thought of this because I was reading some fictional books about a prayer group and it just came to mind. I was looking for other ideas, though I suspect not many here are into the Christian fiction equivalent to chick flicks! ^_^

Upvote 0

stephanieamber

i am gonna love like you've never seen.
Jan 6, 2009
#upperleftusa
Visit site
✟14,418.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Single
I also LOVE Madeleine L'engle, even though she's usually classified with the "Young Adult" stuff, I still read her books, and they're incredible. She puts some really fascinating spins on faith and science.

i came in here to plug my girl madeleine. my favorite author. phenomenal. when I am wandering aimlessly about in my life, she points me to Jesus. i especially love when it happens in a "not christian" book. but then again, what makes something "christian" and something "not christian"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Did you like "Camilla", folks?

I think I read that. Was it about the boy courting the girl whose parents had recently divorced? I didn't like it as much as her other books. But I liked the cover.

9780440911715.jpg

Upvote 0