Christian Feminism - looking for reading recommendations etc.

TzipiDee

Accidental Maverick
Jul 11, 2008
Cornwall
Visit site
✟8,208.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I am guessing this is probably the best forum to place this post in.
Having had a quick search of previous posts, I have only seen posts on this topic which are negative towards the concept of Christian feminism.
I'm not looking for a debate, and I'm not interested in people saying why they think Christian feminism is wrong, please.
(Feel free to start your own thread if you want to do that.)
Rather, I would be interested to connect with any Christian feminists who might be here, for further discussion (perhaps privately, if that becomes necessary).
Posting as a curious not-quite feminist who would like to understand Christian feminism better.
Any pro Christian feminism books recommendations would be welcome, especially any from a more evangelical slant (if that's not too much of an oxymoron).
Thanks.

Reactions: Blue Wren

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if I'm sure what 'Christian feminism' even is. But for what it is worth our home group just finished a book called Fashioned to Reign by Kris Valloton. It was a very liberating book for all the women who read it. It deals in a whole new way with those relatively 'few' verses in the new testament which have been used to subdue the women of the church into more subservient and dis-empowering roles than they were ever intended to have, by the apostle Paul.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I am guessing this is probably the best forum to place this post in.
Having had a quick search of previous posts, I have only seen posts on this topic which are negative towards the concept of Christian feminism.
I'm not looking for a debate, and I'm not interested in people saying why they think Christian feminism is wrong, please.
(Feel free to start your own thread if you want to do that.)
Rather, I would be interested to connect with any Christian feminists who might be here, for further discussion (perhaps privately, if that becomes necessary).
Posting as a curious not-quite feminist who would like to understand Christian feminism better.
Any pro Christian feminism books recommendations would be welcome, especially any from a more evangelical slant (if that's not too much of an oxymoron).
Thanks.

Ask in "whosoever will, may come" (the liberal forum). Or for that matter in General Theology, since feminism is not inherently non-Nicene.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am a Christian and a feminist, so I'd be happy to chat with you about feminism. I'm female, if that matters (it's not in my public Christian Forums profile).

I'll try to think of some good reading to recommend. One good starting point is the short book "Are Women Human?", by Dorothy Sayers.

Upvote 0

TzipiDee

Accidental Maverick
Jul 11, 2008
Cornwall
Visit site
✟8,208.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I am a Christian and a feminist, so I'd be happy to chat with you about feminism. I'm female, if that matters (it's not in my public Christian Forums profile).

I'll try to think of some good reading to recommend. One good starting point is the short book "Are Women Human?", by Dorothy Sayers.
Thank-you! That's really helpful. Is there any title in particular I should check out? I co-incidentally started reading 'The Mind of The Maker' but I'm not sure that would cover feminism particularly.
Edit: d'oh! Just re-read your post to see you did recommend a specific title!

Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

TzipiDee

Accidental Maverick
Jul 11, 2008
Cornwall
Visit site
✟8,208.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Ask in "whosoever will, may come" (the liberal forum). Or for that matter in General Theology, since feminism is not inherently non-Nicene.
Thank-you! That's helpful! I am still getting the hang of the forums! :grinning:

Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It has been my experience that those that use the word "feminist" are most commonly attempting to place themselves 'above' others yet claim that all they seek is equality. This is my personal observation.

No different than 'Gays' claiming that all they want is 'equality' when in fact, what they truly seek is to obtain 'special rights' that would place them 'above others'.

Or Islam in America. They claim that all they want is to be a 'part' of America when in fact, at every given opportunity they make it perfectly clear that what they 'truly' desire is to 'alter America' to suit themselves.

I would offer that women desiring to 'fight for their rights' is contrary to the 'order' God instituted from the beginning. Eve would be a perfect example of the 'first feminist'. Choosing a path of 'self' rather than accepting her 'place' in the big picture.

One question: Were we 'created' according to a certain design? Or were we created to choose our 'own design'?

Blessings,

MEC

Reactions: Sands7
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to add another book recommendation. My disclaimer is that I have not read the whole book, only excerpts, so it's possible the author says something dumb on one of the pages I haven't read. :blush: But I know the author: He was a professor in the Bible & Religion Department at Wheaton College when I was a student there. Wheaton is a conservative Evangelical Christian school, and its faculty sign a statement of faith that affirms Biblical inerrancy, among other doctrines, so the author is writing from an Evangelical point of view.

The book is "Beyond Sex Roles: What the Bible Says about a Woman's Place in Church and Family", by Gilbert Bilezikian. Dr. Bilezikian argues from Scripture that God's ideal for people is egalitarian community, and that a gender-based hierarchy is part of the brokenness of the fall.

For the record, I don't think Dr. Bilezikian uses the word "feminist" for his position, out of concerns like the ones expressed by Imagican above. But his egalitarian vision is similar to what I mean when I use the word "feminism", so I think you might find his book useful.

Upvote 0