HAPMinistries

Nov 15, 2010
Desloge, MO
✟866.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
...the why and the what as to individual Christians in relation to these issues, such as how to speak about God; negatively or positively by expression; as well as the importance various Christians place on Church tradition versus scripture, versus the use of human reasoning;...

This seems especially relevant to apologetics, but also to the issue of evangelism, since they can sometimes be said to go hand in hand.

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

This is the 'zero tolerance' that I see, that no matter how much one reasons God, it will never please God. Only by faith.

I do not say this to discourage study, I have greatly enjoyed reading your posts. I am one of the ones researching as I go on your posts, though I use Google instead of a dictionary, lol.

2Timothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

The greatest focus I feel that would relate from this passage is "unto God". You do not study to impress man, that is missing the mark.

You are asking for reasoning differences between two different types of theology, and I apologize for being Socratic in my answering your question with a question, but why do you want to know this? Is this issue pressing a way you relate to God, or is it something you have been pondering?

Because you clearly know the definition and meaning behind the theologies, so it is not simply an 'understanding' question.

...Let me put it like this.

I have been asked to give empirical evidence for God's existence many times.

I respond that for me to do this, I would have to use a 'thought'. Sadly, I can not find empirical evidence for 'thoughts' to exist, so I need their help in doing this before I can prove God's existence.

Yes, it is cheating, because thought is an Axiom. It is an illustration how one can demand evidence for something, while giving other things we commonly believe a complete pass without investigation.

In this, what I am trying to locate is, your investigation on the approach of man's theology towards scripture and God will find as many faults as man itself has.

Thomas Aquinas and the Quinque viae are very useful in giving reasons to believe in an eternal living form, but is totally powerless, according to Hebrews 11:6, in pleasing God. So in this understanding, What difference does it make if we approach God by defining what God is not, or if by analogy? We are dealing with a God who in Genesis 1:1 created time, space, and matter in one shot. I can not imagine anything existing 'outside' of time, space, and matter, but obviously God does. Seeking God in this universe is as rational as looking inside a sugar bowl to find the man who created the sugar bowl. In light of this, do we 'really' want to attempt to rationalize God?

I am not saying that a person should not be aware and not know about these things, of course a person should use the knowledge God has given us, but I am saying the motivation for using this knowledge is equally important.

Upvote 0

ToHoldNothing

May 26, 2010
✟2,108.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

This is the 'zero tolerance' that I see, that no matter how much one reasons God, it will never please God. Only by faith.

There is of course the notion of works as result from faith, but that's not the point in question here. Honestly, as much as one could search for God, one never finds God in any sense beyond limitation as it appears to me at least.

I do not say this to discourage study, I have greatly enjoyed reading your posts. I am one of the ones researching as I go on your posts, though I use Google instead of a dictionary, lol.

2Timothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

The greatest focus I feel that would relate from this passage is "unto God". You do not study to impress man, that is missing the mark.

Who says I study to impress humanity? I study for the seeking of truth and understanding. Imho, that doesn't necessarily require God, even if in the Western religious paradigm, it's a general given at the start, though there are many that tend towards a nontheistic position of some sort, either by denial through lack of falsifiable evidence or denial by lack of falsifiable definition in my case moreso.

You are asking for reasoning differences between two different types of theology, and I apologize for being Socratic in my answering your question with a question, but why do you want to know this? Is this issue pressing a way you relate to God, or is it something you have been pondering?
I want to know what Christians think, since in all fairness, I don't consider myself a Christian anymore, except by a sort of familial lineage that I have in part broken by my basic conversion to Buddhism in some form or fashion alongside Taoism and other "Eastern" faiths

Because you clearly know the definition and meaning behind the theologies, so it is not simply an 'understanding' question.
It is a matter of me discovering how Christians understand this distinction, since as I said, I don't consider myself as such. Religious studies can only get me so far in understanding, I admit that. The theological and ministerial notions are more of an insider's perspective that I inquire of now.

...Let me put it like this.

I have been asked to give empirical evidence for God's existence many times.

I respond that for me to do this, I would have to use a 'thought'. Sadly, I can not find empirical evidence for 'thoughts' to exist, so I need their help in doing this before I can prove God's existence.

Yes, it is cheating, because thought is an Axiom. It is an illustration how one can demand evidence for something, while giving other things we commonly believe a complete pass without investigation.

I wouldn't call it cheating, so much as shifting the blame. You think that a person has faith in axioms, when you are stretching the definition of faith as used in the theological sense of conviction of beliefs resultant from axiomatic beliefs and inferences of evidence. We trust in our axioms, we have faith in how we perceive the results thereof, at best.
In this, what I am trying to locate is, your investigation on the approach of man's theology towards scripture and God will find as many faults as man itself has.

Thomas Aquinas and the Quinque viae are very useful in giving reasons to believe in an eternal living form, but is totally powerless, according to Hebrews 11:6, in pleasing God. So in this understanding, What difference does it make if we approach God by defining what God is not, or if by analogy? We are dealing with a God who in Genesis 1:1 created time, space, and matter in one shot. I can not imagine anything existing 'outside' of time, space, and matter, but obviously God does. Seeking God in this universe is as rational as looking inside a sugar bowl to find the man who created the sugar bowl. In light of this, do we 'really' want to attempt to rationalize God?
The problem is that an eternal anything is beyond our actual experience, so we have to propose it in a speculative and imaginative manner. Similarly with the notion of things existing outside of time, space, matter, etc, we imagine and speculate. Even analogy hardly works with regards to the metaphysics and nature of such an entity, it's purely a matter of personal conviction that such an entity must exist by their understanding of necessity and such in causality.

Aquinas only sought God through a posteriori observations because he concluded that we couldn't demonstrate God as the cause in itself, but only by the effects God caused. In short, we have to infer in this demonstration instead of deduce by actual evidence that makes the connection of God as causation instead of what, to be blunt, is the error made not only in science, but in matters of philosophical scrutiny, of correlation as opposed to causation. You believe there must be something like the God you persist in believing in that connects to the notion of an eventual end to the infinite regression that is supposedly necessary to solve the problem of cosmogony. Therefore God is demonstrated to exist because you find a logical conundrum otherwise with the notion of the universe subsisting in and of itself in some sense

I am not saying that a person should not be aware and not know about these things, of course a person should use the knowledge God has given us, but I am saying the motivation for using this knowledge is equally important.

Like I said, I seek truth. If I was in it for the money, I'd probably be more motivated to write something and try to get it published so I could be famous and praised by my professors and friends and family. But I could care less if I write something and it sells well, that's good in some sense, indeed. But if I was estranged from the majority of my family for differences of our faiths and beliefs about "God", then I wouldn't care so much in that case either, because they would seem to me to not be genuinely behaving like family.

I seek not wealth nor fame nor praise from others except as it necessarily comes from some merit I have developed over practice. But to see those as ends in themselves, I can agree with christians, is a bad thing and only binds us further to dangerous affects of our "selves" (seeing as I'm a Buddhist, this self is empirical, not metaphysical)

Upvote 0

HAPMinistries

Nov 15, 2010
Desloge, MO
✟866.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Who says I study to impress humanity?

Did I say that you study to impress humanity?
My point is the motivation.

I study for the seeking of truth and understanding...there are many that tend towards a nontheistic position of some sort, either by denial through lack of falsifiable evidence or denial by lack of falsifiable definition in my case moreso.

The use of fallacies has overcome many. [falsifiable evidence - funny how one can believe all life comes from a rock, and never question it...] Christianity never tries to hide the need of faith. In fact, calling yourself a Christian without faith is like standing in the middle of the road and calling yourself a car. [falsifiable definition for a Protestant]

I want to know what Christians think, since in all fairness, I don't consider myself a Christian anymore, except by a sort of familial lineage that I have in part broken by my basic conversion to Buddhism in some form or fashion alongside Taoism and other "Eastern" faiths

Respect. Since you are educated about the subject, then you understand that 'Christian' is a wide sweeping term, and a Protestant would not be speaking for a Roman Catholic, etc.

It is a matter of me discovering how Christians understand this distinction, since as I said, I don't consider myself as such. Religious studies can only get me so far in understanding, I admit that. The theological and ministerial notions are more of an insider's perspective that I inquire of now.

There is the paradox of the God who can do anything but chooses to do certain things. How I rationalize God is anthropomorphic, so that would put me in the analogy camp I guess, though as you have said, they overlap. The reason I choose to rationalize God this way is because of the massive amount of anthropomorphic phrasing found in the bible, and frankly, if I can get an understanding of God in human terms, I will find it much easier to understand, relate, and engage God in both prayer/conversation, and study of understanding of God's will.

I wouldn't call it cheating, so much as shifting the blame. You think that a person has faith in axioms, when you are stretching the definition of faith as used in the theological sense of conviction of beliefs resultant from axiomatic beliefs and inferences of evidence. We trust in our axioms, we have faith in how we perceive the results thereof, at best.

Well, not blame. The goal is to show the broken rationalization. If you conclude that God does not exist because there is no empirical evidence, then likewise should you not conclude that 'Thoughts' do not exist since there is no empirical evidence. As well as dreams, emotions, imagination, etc. Naturalism is very self-defeating.

The "theological sense of conviction of beliefs resultant from axiomatic beliefs and inferences of evidence" has no bearing on me, my conclusions, my faith, my belief, etc. You trust into axioms blindly. There is no 'demanded evidence', only personal experience. Everything is based on faith, that is the hilarious catch 22 of reality. You know your eyes could be deceived, yet you walk through the hall with confidence because your eyes tell you there is no wall in front of you. Rene Descartes has shown all of this, and I am sure you are aware. Reality, in any form, be it fundamental Christianity, to Agnostic-Atheist, it really doesn't matter, because everything runs off of faith, whether we acknowledge it or not. What do we have confidence in? We exist.

The problem is that an eternal anything is beyond our actual experience, so we have to propose it in a speculative and imaginative manner. Similarly with the notion of things existing outside of time, space, matter, etc, we imagine and speculate. Even analogy hardly works with regards to the metaphysics and nature of such an entity, it's purely a matter of personal conviction that such an entity must exist by their understanding of necessity and such in causality.

As I said, searching this universe for God is like looking inside a sugar bowl to find the sugar bowl's maker. Not a bright idea. Still if we take this road, and say, does something eternal exist in this universe that is omnipresent, in all things, and nothing could exist or move without it's power, AND show that it has consciousness, one could reply energy/matter can not be created or destroyed, is in all things, and nothing could exist or move without it's power AND for consciousness, everything has frequency. That alone gives a hypothesis for God to operate in a fleshly/physical way throughout the universe, AND brings on a Bill Hicks joke: "'Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves' . . . 'Here's Tom with the weather."

I seek not wealth nor fame nor praise from others except as it necessarily comes from some merit I have developed over practice. But to see those as ends in themselves, I can agree with christians, is a bad thing and only binds us further to dangerous affects of our "selves" (seeing as I'm a Buddhist, this self is empirical, not metaphysical)

Respect with your beliefs, hope I gave you an insight. Again, if I confessed to be a Christian because of rationalization, then by my definition, I would not be a Christian. Only by faith. As I said, I enjoyed reading your posts, and have a good day/night.

Upvote 0

Key

The Opener of Locks
Apr 10, 2004
Visit site
✟19,007.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was simply making an observation of your role as someone who no doubt considers themselves an evangelist, a missionary, an apostle even of your "God's" message of salvation and truth as it was incarnated as a sinless human being. Do you deny that that is something of your role as a Christian, a member of a flock that you have some authority over, yet are overall ruled moreso by God's grace and sovereignty? Or if I am wrong, correct me where I have made mistaken presumptions or inferences, if you please.

To put this bluntly, I don't appreciate anyone telling me how to follow my own religion, especially if they openly claim they do not follow it, it is uncouth to say the least.

God Bless

Upvote 0

ToHoldNothing

May 26, 2010
✟2,108.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Did I say that you study to impress humanity?
My point is the motivation.
How can you trust me to tell the truth I wonder, or even that I'm sincere? Just thinking from your perspective

The use of fallacies has overcome many. [falsifiable evidence - funny how one can believe all life comes from a rock, and never question it...] Christianity never tries to hide the need of faith. In fact, calling yourself a Christian without faith is like standing in the middle of the road and calling yourself a car. [falsifiable definition for a Protestant]

Abiogenesis doesn't say we came from a rock as far as I recall, and it's honestly the last thing on my mind as to where life came from, considering it came regardless

Respect. Since you are educated about the subject, then you understand that 'Christian' is a wide sweeping term, and a Protestant would not be speaking for a Roman Catholic, etc.

THey could speak in a limited sense, even somewhat fairly with the right considerations, considering many of the differences are particularly political or at least a matter of particular authority to the believer.

There is the paradox of the God who can do anything but chooses to do certain things. How I rationalize God is anthropomorphic, so that would put me in the analogy camp I guess, though as you have said, they overlap. The reason I choose to rationalize God this way is because of the massive amount of anthropomorphic phrasing found in the bible, and frankly, if I can get an understanding of God in human terms, I will find it much easier to understand, relate, and engage God in both prayer/conversation, and study of understanding of God's will.

Anthropomorphic rationalization is part analogy and part anthropocentrism in general. You're confusing correlation with causation. Using anthropomorphic phrasing is the most familiar way humans express "God", in the sense of reflecting humans as allegedly made in God's image, which just gets into more problems far as I'm concerned.

Well, not blame. The goal is to show the broken rationalization. If you conclude that God does not exist because there is no empirical evidence, then likewise should you not conclude that 'Thoughts' do not exist since there is no empirical evidence. As well as dreams, emotions, imagination, etc. Naturalism is very self-defeating.

Empirical evidence is not always boiled down to an observation that is reduced down to something we can see with the naked eye. Otherwise we wouldn't believe in cell theory or germ theory or the like. And similarly with thoughts, dreams, emotions and imagination, we can at least make a significant connection to the thesis that brain neurons firing is what constitutes thoughts, emotions, dreams, etc. Just because we're in the beginning stages doesn't suggest there is any broken rationalization. Not to mention neither of us is necessarily an authority on the developments over the years on the mind body problem in any significance through philosophy. I took a class a few years ago and I still have the texts, but that's about it, besides the papers I wrote for the class.

The "theological sense of conviction of beliefs resultant from axiomatic beliefs and inferences of evidence" has no bearing on me, my conclusions, my faith, my belief, etc. You trust into axioms blindly. There is no 'demanded evidence', only personal experience. Everything is based on faith, that is the hilarious catch 22 of reality. You know your eyes could be deceived, yet you walk through the hall with confidence because your eyes tell you there is no wall in front of you. Rene Descartes has shown all of this, and I am sure you are aware. Reality, in any form, be it fundamental Christianity, to Agnostic-Atheist, it really doesn't matter, because everything runs off of faith, whether we acknowledge it or not. What do we have confidence in? We exist.

Not necessarily a faith so much as trust in the axioms. But theistic faith and atheistic faith are quite distinct and not merely nuanced forms of each other. Theistic faith seems to regard it as a virtue, atheistic faith regards it as a reluctant necessity in terms of our basic investigations. There is of course the distinction of faith and trust as well as conviction and belief, all of which run into difficulties depending on standards of what constitutes evidence in each individual's perspective.

Not to mention our sensory input, while imperfect, can be compared to others and at least not found wanting. And need I remind you of the subatomic physicist that would point out that technically even a wall is not exactly perfectly solid, since an atom is such a miniscule amount of space, there is technically an amazing amount of empty space between the billions of atoms that constitute a wall. Which is where the science of phasing would come in, no doubt.

As I said, searching this universe for God is like looking inside a sugar bowl to find the sugar bowl's maker. Not a bright idea. Still if we take this road, and say, does something eternal exist in this universe that is omnipresent, in all things, and nothing could exist or move without it's power, AND show that it has consciousness, one could reply energy/matter can not be created or destroyed, is in all things, and nothing could exist or move without it's power AND for consciousness, everything has frequency. That alone gives a hypothesis for God to operate in a fleshly/physical way throughout the universe, AND brings on a Bill Hicks joke: "'Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves' . . . 'Here's Tom with the weather."
If God is essentially matter and energy, you're more likely to posit pantheism as the solution. Transcendent deities honestly make less sense than what is commonly called sexed up atheism (pantheism), at least with pantheism, they honestly admit it's more a personal awe at the universe and not gratitude to an imagined creator. Einstein put it well enough in his sayings we've found in the last 5 years or so.

Respect with your beliefs, hope I gave you an insight. Again, if I confessed to be a Christian because of rationalization, then by my definition, I would not be a Christian. Only by faith. As I said, I enjoyed reading your posts, and have a good day/night.

I think you're confusing a Christian who concludes that there is some rational argument for God's existence and believing in God and concluding that the rational arguments don't constitute evidence to believe on God, to use Luther's distinction. Faith obviously is what is going to convince a Christian to believe through divine revelation that God's promises will be fulfilled, and all that. I've read enough theology that much of the notions are drilled into my head where they won't leave, so don't take me for someone unfamiliar with the notion. I just simply find no meaning in them.

It makes me feel more fulfilled to pet my cat (fat as she is) and learn things from her behaving as an animal with natural impulses, albeit domesticated, and yet also showing humans who overthink things ethical insights that we'd otherwise not see.

You might find it sad that I find my empathy first from animals and then extend that to humans, but then you might find it problematic for me to regard myself as an animal, even if secondarily to my personhood. Which is why my empathy for humans as animals should be no surprise as derived from caring for a stray who has become progressively more attached to me and shown me unconditional love in the best way a semi feral animal can, however uncomfortable it can be sometimes.

Upvote 0

ToHoldNothing

May 26, 2010
✟2,108.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
To put this bluntly, I don't appreciate anyone telling me how to follow my own religion, especially if they openly claim they do not follow it, it is uncouth to say the least.

God Bless

2 things.
1) Chill out and try to take this a little less seriously as if I'm a potential Communist spy or infiltrator into this supposedly safe haven of sorts. Your mods have given me two warnings, one of which I believe has worn off, but I have another one that won't wear off for another three months, so don't think I don't see how things somewhat work, albeit it varies by each forum, so it's a work in progress. But at least try to be a little more congenial, especially to someone who hasn't genuinely posted their own thread here, if I remember right

2)I was making an observation and tentative inquiries, if you had read clearly enough with the question marks at the end of my statements. If I was mistaken, you could have told me so without be so brusque and obnoxious about it, since you are in the majority and the person in question I am directing my questions towards. By all means correct me, but this kind of hostility is not helping matters. I urge you to at least read my inquiry a second time if you find yourself so frustrated with it the first time in the future. Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HAPMinistries

Nov 15, 2010
Desloge, MO
✟866.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
How can you trust me to tell the truth I wonder, or even that I'm sincere? Just thinking from your perspective

Why would you think it is my job to trust you?

Abiogenesis doesn't say we came from a rock as far as I recall, and it's honestly the last thing on my mind as to where life came from, considering it came regardless

Yup
Abiogenesis believes all life came from a rock.
How many times have we ever seen life come from non-living matter - 0 times.

How many times have we observed life come from life? - countless...

As I said, naturalism is self defeating.

THey could speak in a limited sense,

About as much as a Buddhist could speak for Christianity...

Anthropomorphic rationalization is part analogy and part anthropocentrism in general. ...which just gets into more problems far as I'm concerned.

In dealing with God, any approach will be limited to what we are, so there will always be problems. You asked, I answered.

Empirical evidence is not always boiled down to an observation that is reduced down to something we can see with the naked eye. Otherwise we wouldn't believe in cell theory or germ theory or the like. And similarly with thoughts, dreams, emotions and imagination, we can at least make a significant connection to the thesis that brain neurons firing is what constitutes thoughts, emotions, dreams, etc.

Did I say it is always a observation we can see with the naked eye?
Thank you for providing empirical evidence for a brain neurons firing, but I asked for empirical evidence for 'thought'.

What color is a thought?
How much does a thought weigh?
What form does a thought take?

Here is an example. If I asked for empirical evidence for your your arm to exist, if you said brain neurons firing that causes the arm to move would not be providing evidence for the arm. By simply showing the arm, you would accomplish this.

With that in mind, showing brain neurons firing does not show a thought, so please, give empirical evidence for a thought.

[I told you the answer, I am amazed you still fell into it.]

Not necessarily a faith so much as trust in the axioms.

That is like saying, "Not necessarily a simile so much as a metaphor..."

You are trying to draw a distinction that is not there.

If God is essentially matter and energy, you're more likely to posit pantheism as the solution.

I certainly appreciate your ability to get 'pantheism' out of a Bill Hicks joke...

Faith obviously is what is going to convince a Christian to believe through divine revelation that God's promises will be fulfilled, and all that. I've read enough theology that much of the notions are drilled into my head where they won't leave, so don't take me for someone unfamiliar with the notion. I just simply find no meaning in them.

That is your choice, and I choose to believe.
It is really that simple, you choose to believe or you choose not to.

I find the rationalizations of naturalism to be most absurd. The fact that Abiogenesis is called a 'theory' and not a 'hypothesis' as it should be, shows the glaring bias and double standard of naturalism.

In evolution, equivocation is the call of the day. With a cry of Christianity applying a 'God of the Gaps', naturalists then apply a 'Time of the Gaps', which is equally fallacious.

And finally, naturalists never offer a counter point of view, often run down the opposing point of view, and then never claim a view of their own.

Protestant Christianity comes out of the gate understanding that to accept it, it is to accept it by faith in Jesus Christ. You know where you stand.

It appears there is some sort of personal grudge in why you are posting like this, and I am not a mind reader, I do not know what you are going through, but I pray you find what you are seeking.

Upvote 0

ToHoldNothing

May 26, 2010
✟2,108.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why would you think it is my job to trust you?
Why would you even talk to me in some sense of finding out things about me unless you trusted me?

Yup
Abiogenesis believes all life came from a rock.
How many times have we ever seen life come from non-living matter - 0 times.

How many times have we observed life come from life? - countless...

As I said, naturalism is self defeating.

I honestly think you're misunderstanding abiogenesis as it exists in the contending hypotheses. I don't believe there is a single physicist or chemist or biologist who genuinely believes all live came from a rock, especially not a rock as we know it. Carbon elements, perhaps, but we're composed of carbon as well, so it's a failed equivocation.

About as much as a Buddhist could speak for Christianity...

Buddhis paradigm is radically different in many respects, even with some shared ethical impulses and teachings. But a Roman Catholic differs from a Protestant primarily in the authority of scripture versus the authority of tradition and the magisterium, as well as how those authorities determine proper doctrine. It's not as if they don't agree on soteriology in the most explicit sense, they just disagree on more minutiae than anything.

In dealing with God, any approach will be limited to what we are, so there will always be problems. You asked, I answered.

Problems that can be solved in part by simply admitting the speculative nature of one's approach to God and not any conclusive understanding.

Did I say it is always a observation we can see with the naked eye?
Thank you for providing empirical evidence for a brain neurons firing, but I asked for empirical evidence for 'thought'.

Thought is resultant from those brain neurons firing. Like I said, it's still in a beginning stage, it's not as if we can analyze the neuron firings on that detailed level, but we may eventually be able to reduce at least part of our understanding of thought to particular series of neurons firing.

What color is a thought?
How much does a thought weigh?
What form does a thought take?

Empiricism doesn't always concern itself with such explicit physical notions, since the first step is finding a physical cause for it as opposed to discerning the physical properties. Not to mention you seem to be confusing the epiphenomenon of thought we experience as we think it with the phenomenon of thought as it occurs within the brain whether we are conscious of it or not.

Here is an example. If I asked for empirical evidence for your your arm to exist, if you said brain neurons firing that causes the arm to move would not be providing evidence for the arm. By simply showing the arm, you would accomplish this.

With that in mind, showing brain neurons firing does not show a thought, so please, give empirical evidence for a thought.

[I told you the answer, I am amazed you still fell into it.]
You didn't tell me the answer, you just gave non sequitur questions to distract from your misunderstanding of empiricism to begin with and the naturalistic perspective that undergirds it in this context. Just because we don't understand thought in any significant manner as to the exact neurons firing doesn't mean that we won't in the future. You seem to think that because we don't know something now in terms of a physical and natural explanation that we never will, which is contradicted by the very existence of cell theory and germ theory among other scientific models that explain what was originally thought to be immaterial in some sense, but in actuality was a physical phenomenon, just simply beyond that era's capacity for investigation.

That is like saying, "Not necessarily a simile so much as a metaphor..."

You are trying to draw a distinction that is not there.

You can't deny the distinction, even if it's more subtle and nuanced. But honestly, me trusting in my senses being reliable is not the same as you having faith that God's covenant has real results if you believe in it. We both trust our senses, we don't have faith in them, since faith is a bit more concerned with ultimacy and the absolute of some sort. Trust is incidental to what necessity compels us to do.

I certainly appreciate your ability to get 'pantheism' out of a Bill Hicks joke...

That pretty much is what pantheism tends towards in a nutshell, an impersonal force that is what the universe is in essence. Immanence in contrast to transcendence.

That is your choice, and I choose to believe.
It is really that simple, you choose to believe or you choose not to.
I choose to beleive in some things, just as you choose not to believe in other things. The standard works both ways. For every belief we choose we also assert our disbelief in other things. Just as an atheist expresses disbelief in theism, a theist expresses disbelief in atheism if we're gonna be especially analytical.

I find the rationalizations of naturalism to be most absurd. The fact that Abiogenesis is called a 'theory' and not a 'hypothesis' as it should be, shows the glaring bias and double standard of naturalism.

You're confusing the scientific understanding of the term theory with the common parlance that conflates theory with the scientific understanding of hypothesis. A theory in science is a model of explanation that we can test in experimental context and circumstances and observe in varied senses. A hypothesis still requires experimentation and observation to confirm the validity of the theory under controlled circumstances.

In evolution, equivocation is the call of the day. With a cry of Christianity applying a 'God of the Gaps', naturalists then apply a 'Time of the Gaps', which is equally fallacious.

It's not a time of the gaps when we can present evidence that demonstrates the amount of time we're talking about. You think that just because one posits the notion that with enough time things happen naturally that it is a fallacy, but honestly, we can hardly conceive either the amount of time that has passed since this universe came into being or the sheer amount of possibility that exists even in tiny almost elemental particles in that immense space of time.

And finally, naturalists never offer a counter point of view, often run down the opposing point of view, and then never claim a view of their own.

So you think evolution isn't a counter point of view to both intelligent design and creationism? Then what is it, if not the contrast to the claim that there is some consciousness behind the adaptation, mutation, genetic drift and speciation of the various creatures on earth?

Protestant Christianity comes out of the gate understanding that to accept it, it is to accept it by faith in Jesus Christ. You know where you stand.
Except in that sense, it's nothing scientific or even demonstrative, it's purely subjective and has no objectivity to it except what you assert within your tradition.

It appears there is some sort of personal grudge in why you are posting like this, and I am not a mind reader, I do not know what you are going through, but I pray you find what you are seeking.

If I find what I seek, it will not be solely because of my efforts but also because of my willingness to accept the possibility I may be mistaken or did not know certain considerations in philosophy that affect my perspective.

Upvote 0

HAPMinistries

Nov 15, 2010
Desloge, MO
✟866.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Why would you even talk to me in some sense of finding out things about me unless you trusted me?

Why would anyone consider trust on a Forum question?
You ask a question, people answer, why are you suddenly so condemning of your own character?

I don't believe there is a single physicist or chemist or biologist who genuinely believes all live came from a rock, especially not a rock as we know it.

Sadly, that is what Abiogenesis teaches, that all life came from a rock. That is the 'Naturalism Genesis'.

Thought is resultant from those brain neurons firing.

LOL, again, no evidence for thought's existence, lol.

You didn't tell me the answer, you just gave non sequitur questions to distract from your misunderstanding of empiricism to begin with and the naturalistic perspective that undergirds it in this context. Just because we don't understand thought in any significant manner as to the exact neurons firing doesn't mean that we won't in the future.

I asked for empirical evidence for 'thought'. I TOLD you it was an Axiom, that there is no empirical evidence for it's existence. You still chose to debate that, which is quite funny. Now you want me to answer questions about something you can not provide empirical evidence for?

That pretty much is what pantheism tends towards in a nutshell, an impersonal force that is what the universe is in essence. Immanence in contrast to transcendence.

Again, I said it was horrible logic, yet I still gave a loopy hypothesis to form into a Bill Hicks joke, just to be friendly, and hopefully make you smile, and you are still on that?

It's not a time of the gaps when we...

LOL, give it up.

I answered your question about Epistemology and all you have done is be negative, attack my beliefs, and when I have shown the counter, you have denied without presenting evidence. I see why others are so short with you.

Good day.

Upvote 0

ToHoldNothing

May 26, 2010
✟2,108.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sadly, that is what Abiogenesis teaches, that all life came from a rock. That is the 'Naturalism Genesis'.

And you confuse genesis in the sense of cosmogony with the rise of biological organisms, which is what abiogenesis considers. Big Bang considers where the universe came from. Not to mention you seem to think I'll just take your word, when you should know by now I'm too much of a skeptic to just take some critic of evolution, abiogenesis, big bang theory and naturalism in general as authoritative about the very things you critique.

LOL, again, no evidence for thought's existence, lol.
This is going nowhere because you have no willingness to consider that your standards are both too stringent and also too myopic for what we're considering, which is the brain, a very complex and still mysterious organ of the body.

I asked for empirical evidence for 'thought'. I TOLD you it was an Axiom, that there is no empirical evidence for it's existence. You still chose to debate that, which is quite funny. Now you want me to answer questions about something you can not provide empirical evidence for?

And again, I criticize your trite definition and standard of what constitutes empirical evidence, since you think that just because we experience and think when we're observing empirical evidence, that evidence somehow doesn't count anymore when we're investigating thought, which is bollocks.

LOL, give it up.

I answered your question about Epistemology and all you have done is be negative, attack my beliefs, and when I have shown the counter, you have denied without presenting evidence. I see why others are so short with you.

You hardly answered except to claim that any reasoning about God is superfluous, which wasn't what the point of the use of reason in a Christian context. Using reason to defend one's beliefs only works for a believer and not in the sense of converting a non believer. Even Pascal admitted this, even with the use of his wager still today, as mistaken as the use is in terms of a genuine demonstration of why you should believe as a Christian does instead of believing through game theory.

Aquinas said simply that one can prove God's existence in a nominal sense with reasoned arguments, but he definitely did not say that it was sufficient to have reasoned arguments for God's existence, nor did he say his 5 ways were the best way to convince someone to believe in God in the Christian sense. He emphasized thesuperiority of divine revelation over human reasoning in terms of both its authority and its certitude, even though John Locke disagrees in principle, because of the difficulty of how we determine certitude in various matters, scientific or faith based.

So your answers to my question just seem to affirm a no true Scotsman fallacy in relation to the Christians that you think don't genuinely represent Christianity. That's all well and good by understanding your perspective, but you're hardly being fair in just dismissing them instead of trying to find some common agreement you might have even with John Locke or Kierkegaard.

These two are on virtually opposite ends of the spectrum, one saying that true beliefs are also reasonable beliefs and can be argued as such, albeit they still require faith by the grace of God and all and the other saying that we don't need reasoned beliefs for our acceptance of the principles of the Christian faith and instead must simply make an existential leap and believe regardless of the absurdity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Key

The Opener of Locks
Apr 10, 2004
Visit site
✟19,007.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not to mention you seem to think I'll just take your word, when you should know by now I'm too much of a skeptic to just take some critic of evolution, abiogenesis, big bang theory and naturalism in general as authoritative about the very things you critique.

Do you look at naturalist approaches with the same critical eye as you look at religious answers?

God Bless

Upvote 0

ToHoldNothing

May 26, 2010
✟2,108.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
To the extent that they can both give meaningful answers, but admittedly not everyone will necessarily find meaning in a religious answer; e.g. I don't find meaning in what I understand to be the creationist or intelligent design position, because I feel fulfilled enough and worthy enough of respect without adding an extra premise that I am created by some intelligent designer or creator

Upvote 0