Christian Education in Adventist Schools, why it is important?

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟424,731.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you know of any public schools where the students bond with their teachers as well? I do. Many devoted teachers teach in those public schools.

Some of the members in church are adminsitrators or teachers in the public schools as they pay very well.
And if it werent for the kids smoking and using drugs, feeling each other up in the halls and back rooms, and joining gangs and starting fights so they can rumble and hurt each other, I wouldnt worry too much and say sure, go to public schools and find the good teachers to bond with. But I think that is not what are on most kids minds in public schools, at least not down here in South Florida or Miami.......

I was in the middle of a 'gang fight' when kids in a local gang attacked our church kids playing dodge ball and volley ball in the church parking lot...and there were weapons and guns involved...not just a little harmless teasing or name calling.....

Upvote 0

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a few points to make as I am on the school board and have seen first hand some of these issues.

Adventist, depending on the family values, want their children to have good moral characters, and a school that teaches that is important to them. But you also have to have teachers with high standards and motivated to teach in spiritual matters and morals. It amazes me how these teachers become such a big part of these childrens lives and they become their mentors, their heros, their extended family... I have actually seen young children come up and hug their teachers during church or at pinics, completely away from any school functions. The love and bond they share with the kids is beyound anything I can describe.....

You might think that sending kids to a Adventist school is not such a big thing, but the alternative can be devastating.

In the public school right beside us some time back, the kids tried to set up a cache of bombs and weapons to kill their teachers and others that they didnt like....

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2004/mar/03/ndn_authorities__lely_students_drew_on_columbine_f/

So if you want to say that their is no difference, I tell you there is a 100% difference, and I see it every time I come into contact with the kids and their teachers....

Honestly, there are outcasts at Christian (And SDA) schools also. The fact that they are smaller means that this is much less likely to happen though... maybe the interaction is a bit better too. Additionally, SDA schools generally don't allow in problem kids... public schools don't have that luxury.

I didn't go to an SDA school after 3rd grade, but my brothers went to a couple, and sex and drugs were as common there as some public schools.

I agree that there are public schools which no kid should be going to. Especially in the city. But this is getting beyond the idea of Christian education, and getting to the idea of responsible education period.

JM

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟424,731.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, there are outcasts at Christian (And SDA) schools also. The fact that they are smaller means that this is much less likely to happen though... maybe the interaction is a bit better too. Additionally, SDA schools generally don't allow in problem kids... public schools don't have that luxury.

I didn't go to an SDA school after 3rd grade, but my brothers went to a couple, and sex and drugs were as common there as some public schools.

I agree that there are public schools which no kid should be going to. Especially in the city. But this is getting beyond the idea of Christian education, and getting to the idea of responsible education period.

JM

I guess you missed the post above:
"...And if it werent for the kids smoking and using drugs, feeling each other up in the halls and back rooms, and joining gangs and starting fights so they can rumble and hurt each other, I wouldnt worry too much and say sure, go to public schools and find the good teachers to bond with. But I think that is not what are on most kids minds in public schools, at least not down here in South Florida or Miami.......

I was in the middle of a 'gang fight' when kids in a local gang attacked our church kids playing dodge ball and volley ball in the church parking lot...and there were weapons and guns involved...not just a little harmless teasing or name calling....."

If you see kids walking with weapons and as gangs in a Adventist school let me know....

Upvote 0

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I did see, and edited it. And I know many adventist schools where drugs and sex go on...

I agree, gangs seem to be less of a problem, but they shouldn't be a problem in public schools either. That is a failure of the public schools (in that area), not a reason why SDA education is needed (in general).

Definitely, in that area, don't send your kids to the public schools. I agree.

But I have heard of public schools which seemed to have less issues then some SDA schools. And there are many public schools which have little/no issues with gangs/etc.

JM

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟424,731.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did see, and edited it. And I know many adventist schools where drugs and sex go on...

I agree, gangs seem to be less of a problem, but they shouldn't be a problem in public schools either. That is a failure of the public schools (in that area), not a reason why SDA education is needed (in general).

Definitely, in that area, don't send your kids to the public schools. I agree.

But I have heard of public schools which seemed to have less issues then some SDA schools. And there are many public schools which have little/no issues with gangs/etc.

JM

Well, I have gotten shot at with children in the car, threathened with death proctecting church kids at a pool, been in the middle of a island with everyone with me puffing on 'ganja', and stood between a gang trying to kill one of my pathfinders, so I think I have a little bit of 'street savy' when it comes to kids and the choices and dangers they face...

The environment, influences and friends they place themselves in, can have a big affect......

Upvote 0

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I Agree.

But not all public schools are a bad environment. Some are, and no kid should be going there for an education.

JM
(honestly, I think they need to do something about educating kids who don't want to be there, don't want to learn, and just want to screw up theres and others lives, and I know the reason why the kids are like that is because others have failed them, but still, we shouldn't allow them to bring down others..)

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟424,731.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I Agree.

But not all public schools are a bad environment. Some are, and no kid should be going there for an education.

JM
(honestly, I think they need to do something about educating kids who don't want to be there, don't want to learn, and just want to screw up theres and others lives, and I know the reason why the kids are like that is because others have failed them, but still, we shouldn't allow them to bring down others..)

A lot also depends on the parents and school board, as they set the enviroment and agenda...

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟424,731.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
School started yesterday and we are bursting at the seams, we are putting them in every corner and desk we can find. We have been blessed with over 25% more kids than we had expected and they are thrilled to be able to get in as I dont know how we can find room for even one more. We took the teachers out for a dinner on sunday and gave them gifts as they are special to do the task of teaching these young minds. Anyone that thinks that there isnt a difference in having a child go to a christian school is not living in the real world. It does make a difference and to have teachers that love them and hug them and worry over them is incredible. Oh well got to go, having a Meet the Teacher night for the parents, so gotta hustle.....

Upvote 0