• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Christian Comprehensive Guide to Quitting a Habit

Onyx208

May 20, 2016
California
✟15,324.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have been perusing the threads on kicking cigarettes and thought we could all band together to make a comprehensive guide to quitting a (any) displeasing addictive habit. I laid down the cigarettes today and would love to have a resource all in one thread to pull up when I'm struggling. I'm sure this could benefit others as well! Let's try to keep it relevant to all types of addiction.
(I apologize if this is redundant..I didn't see anything quite like this.)

Prompts of what to include

*Prayers to memorize or recite (published or personally written)
*Scripture to inspire positivity in our individual walks in God's will
*Published or online Christian addiction-crushing resources IE books, devotionals, blogs, etc
*Support available in communities such as Celebrate Recovery
*Combating cravings with coping skills that please Christ
*Reflections/meditations to help achieve serenity in times of withdrawal
*Testimonies and words of encouragement from Christians who have overcome addiction or with experience with loves ones
*Worship songs that give hope

I'm compiling a few things to start this thread off with as we speak, so stay tuned in the thread! And in the mean time, please begin!

Thank you and God bless. :horseface:

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been perusing the threads on kicking cigarettes and thought we could all band together to make a comprehensive guide to quitting a (any) displeasing addictive habit. I laid down the cigarettes today and would love to have a resource all in one thread to pull up when I'm struggling. I'm sure this could benefit others as well! Let's try to keep it relevant to all types of addiction.

Prompts of what to include

*Prayers to memorize or recite (published or personally written)
*Scripture to inspire positivity in our individual walks in God's will
*Published or online Christian addiction-crushing resources IE books, devotionals, blogs, etc
*Support available in communities such as Celebrate Recovery
*Combating cravings with coping skills that please Christ
*Reflections/meditations to help achieve serenity in times of withdrawal
*Testimonies and words of encouragement from Christians who have overcome addiction or with experience with loves ones
*Worship songs that give hope

I'm compiling a few things to start this thread off with as we speak, so stay tuned in the thread! And in the mean time, please begin!

Thank you and God bless. :horseface:
So have you smoked for long?

I quit cold turkey, actually.

In any case, I think the inward and spiritual discipline of prayer and Bible study is far more important and deep-seated than the 'surface' issue of whether one smokes or not.

Upvote 0

Onyx208

May 20, 2016
California
✟15,324.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Only four years, but I took off running with the addiction. Two packs a day about a month after I'd had my first cigarette.

The song I'm linking inspired me to stop. It's not intended to be Christian (I think it's unhealthy if related to a person) but replace who he's singing about with Christ and it really gave me a wake up call. If I can get this far addicted to a substance, I can get my heart addicted to Christ!

Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have attempted quitting cigarettes on and off for years... nicotine is a pain to kick.
It feels like a creature that attaches itself to your brain, and is constantly wining about how it wants more. It makes it difficult to focus on simple tasks when he is screaming at you to feed him.
"Hey, hey, hey, hey, you want some nicotine?"
"Hang on, I am trying to finish this task, I-"
"HEY. NICOTINE. NOW."
"Come on, can't you be pa-"
"NICOTIIIIINE!"
at about this time, you start to get snappy and frustrated and just all around unpleasent.
Non smokers can often times find it very easy to be like, 'just quit' -.-
Quitting cold turkey is difficult... to put it lightly.
and trying to wean yourself off maybe even more so.
It is rare moments when it is enjoyable. Usually just after work, or first one in the morning. Other than that, pure habbit of stopping the itchy feeling of not having them.
Heck of a drug.

Upvote 0

Onyx208

May 20, 2016
California
✟15,324.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well put! I completely agree.

I've been dissecting Jeremiah 29:10-14 and it brings me hope because the Lord doesn't want me to suffer. Nicotine addiction is awful. It's not God's will for me. Like the passage, it was my disobeying God (by smoking) but he will bring me out of the exile I caused because I am seeking him with all my heart. God is good!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have attempted quitting cigarettes on and off for years... nicotine is a pain to kick.
It feels like a creature that attaches itself to your brain, and is constantly wining about how it wants more. It makes it difficult to focus on simple tasks when he is screaming at you to feed him.
"HEY. NICOTINE. NOW."
"NICOTIIIIINE!"
at about this time, you start to get snappy and frustrated and just all around unpleasent.
It is rare moments when it is enjoyable. Usually just after work, or first one in the morning. Other than that, pure habbit of stopping the itchy feeling of not having them.
Heck of a drug.
I hope you succeed in your efforts to quit.

Actually I've said before someplace that prayer and Bible study are probably the most effective means to quit! :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"HEY. NICOTINE. NOW."
"NICOTIIIIINE!"
Heck of a drug.
PS: You must have started young, but anyway it might be possible that you'll eventually grow out of it, as live develops in other directions, maybe.

Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
PS: You must have started young, but anyway it might be possible that you'll eventually grow out of it, as live develops in other directions, maybe.

Too young. Much too young.
It is a constant, daily battle for sure.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Too young. Much too young.
It is a constant, daily battle for sure.
Did you try vaping instead?

Sometimes when a young teen starts, it's because of peer pressure, or because of some traumatic event that has caused stress, or because mom already smokes, etc. So I guess it's understandable if it happens.

Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Did you try vaping instead?

Sometimes when a young teen starts, it's because of peer pressure, or because of some traumatic event that has caused stress, or because mom already smokes, etc. So I guess it's understandable if it happens.

Vaping seems like a great option, I have known a few people who quit because of it. I need to gather the time and funds to invest in it myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This covers as couple of addictions and at the end, what I feel is some unique and pretty good advise for getting off the ciggs, so bear with me.

I was an avid Cigarette and pot smoker for 40 yrs plus and not saying the pot is really an addiction, because it's just not to me, not a physical one anyway, I just enjoyed it. But that's not an excuse as I don't feel it's an excusable habit in Gods eyes. Yeah, I made up excuses why it was probably ok early on but never really believed them, and finally forced myself to realize that it just wasn't going to cut it, and to do it if I must, but don't ever tell myself it's ok. That way there is at least a good chance of quitting, as opposed to if I made it ok/acceptable in Gods eyes, there would never really be a reason to quit because I wasn't doing anything wrong in my mind.

A few years ago I kept getting spooked by the spirit, conscience, or whatever it was, and to the point I was always on edge when I partook and that feeling of anxiety overrode the enjoyment. When I went to quite after trying only once or twice for a year or less in that 40 yr period, it did actually have mild withdrawal symptoms, nothing like tobacco, and I guess after just using it for so long. Anyway, I was still easily able to quit and for the first time ever with no desire to touch it since, and haven't. All a pretty boring and run of the mill story..no big deal. The main thing with quitting pot for me was deciding one really wants to, that's al. But now for the part I found very interesting and how my pot smoking indirectly helped me quit Cigarettes with very little effort.

I'm making a short story long here, I realize that, but what the hay...probably a good idea to include the details in this case. So I find myself still smoking ciggs, and in the past I'd tried everything to quit, at least a few times, but wasn't successful, not even close and to the point I thought "this is terrible, how will I ever be able to pull this off?"....just that bad but nothing unusual about that either.

I did vape for a time and that made it easy to get off the ciggs completely but to me, although I felt a lot better and it's actually likely not harmful and I highly recommend it, it's not stopping the addiction. Still, I could and would take vaping over ciggs any day if I thought I was going to stay on nicotine, especially after finally getting a decent mod. FWIW, my opinion on vaping is it stops the nicotine cravings, and enough so to get off the ciggs with no effort, but it's not quite as satisfying as that cigarette... to me, a good thing. The way I saw it, is since it wasn't as satisfying I could see myself slowly getting bored with it and eventually getting off it, problem solved. At least that's how I think it could go..I never proved that out.

Anyway..I was making my own ciggs at the time with the premade paper tubes/machine and pipe tobacco in order to take advantage of the tax loophole, and avoid the horrible expense when they suddenly taxed ciggs out of range for me. I ran out of tubes one day and decided to just use the little pot pipe I still had around, with it's small bowl. I went on like that for several months, smoking all I wanted, but this stopped me from feeling obligated or actually forcing a whole cigarette down each session, something unbeknownst to me, I never really needed or wanted. There's a lot of tobacco in the conventional cigg. This was before I had actually decided to try quitting again. I began to think I might actually be cutting down, even though I am getting all the tobacco I want. A few drags at a time, put it down, pick it back up when I want as well as the convenience of conventional ciggs not being there anymore seemed to have made at least a partial difference in the amount I was smoking. Even though I eventually calculated I was only smoking the equivalent of 3 to 5 ciggs a day now, I thought something had to be wrong with the calculations because I had done nothing to try to cut down...it happened without even trying and I had evidently done so for so long now, when I went to quite it was a piece of cake. Less than a week and I was done with very little effort.

If you can quite, great, but if you have trouble, I highly recommend it. The results, with no conscious effort for the most part, were actually stunning to me, but your experience may vary.

Now before someone asks, I did quit for a year and then went back to a standard pipe for the past few months, and for my own reasons and maybe stupidly, maybe not...doubt I'll do it for long. However, that has no bearing on what happened...a year is full blown quit as far as the physical addiction, and I can and will do it again when things calm down.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This covers as couple of addictions and at the end, what I feel is some unique and pretty good advise for getting off the ciggs, so bear with me.

I was an avid Cigarette and pot smoker for 40 yrs plus and not saying the pot is really an addiction, because it's just not to me, not a physical one anyway, I just enjoyed it. But that's not an excuse as I don't feel it's an excusable habit in Gods eyes. Yeah, I made up excuses why it was probably ok early on but never really believed them, and finally forced myself to realize that it just wasn't going to cut it, and to do it if I must, but don't ever tell myself it's ok. That way there is at least a good chance of quitting, as opposed to if I made it ok/acceptable in Gods eyes, there would never really be a reason to quit because I wasn't doing anything wrong in my mind.

A few years ago I kept getting spooked by the spirit, conscience, or whatever it was, and to the point I was always on edge when I partook and that feeling of anxiety overrode the enjoyment. When I went to quite after trying only once or twice for a year or less in that 40 yr period, it did actually have mild withdrawal symptoms, nothing like tobacco, and I guess after just using it for so long. Anyway, I was still easily able to quit and for the first time ever with no desire to touch it since, and haven't. All a pretty boring and run of the mill story..no big deal. The main thing with quitting pot for me was deciding one really wants to, that's al. But now for the part I found very interesting and how my pot smoking indirectly helped me quit Cigarettes with very little effort.

I'm making a short story long here, I realize that, but what the hay...probably a good idea to include the details in this case. So I find myself still smoking ciggs, and in the past I'd tried everything to quit, at least a few times, but wasn't successful, not even close and to the point I thought "this is terrible, how will I ever be able to pull this off?"....just that bad but nothing unusual about that either.

I did vape for a time and that made it easy to get off the ciggs completely but to me, although I felt a lot better and it's actually likely not harmful and I highly recommend it, it's not stopping the addiction. Still, I could and would take vaping over ciggs any day if I thought I was going to stay on nicotine, especially after finally getting a decent mod. FWIW, my opinion on vaping is it stops the nicotine cravings, and enough so to get off the ciggs with no effort, but it's not quite as satisfying as that cigarette... to me, a good thing. The way I saw it, is since it wasn't as satisfying I could see myself slowly getting bored with it and eventually getting off it, problem solved. At least that's how I think it could go..I never proved that out.

Anyway..I was making my own ciggs at the time with the premade paper tubes/machine and pipe tobacco in order to take advantage of the tax loophole, and avoid the horrible expense when they suddenly taxed ciggs out of range for me. I ran out of tubes one day and decided to just use the little pot pipe I still had around, with it's small bowl. I went on like that for several months, smoking all I wanted, but this stopped me from feeling obligated or actually forcing a whole cigarette down each session, something unbeknownst to me, I never really needed or wanted. There's a lot of tobacco in the conventional cigg. This was before I had actually decided to try quitting again. I began to think I might actually be cutting down, even though I am getting all the tobacco I want. A few drags at a time, put it down, pick it back up when I want as well as the convenience of conventional ciggs not being there anymore seemed to have made at least a partial difference in the amount I was smoking. Even though I eventually calculated I was only smoking the equivalent of 3 to 5 ciggs a day now, I thought something had to be wrong with the calculations because I had done nothing to try to cut down...it happened without even trying and I had evidently done so for so long now, when I went to quite it was a piece of cake. Less than a week and I was done with very little effort.

If you can quite, great, but if you have trouble, I highly recommend it. The results, with no conscious effort for the most part, were actually stunning to me, but your experience may vary.

Now before someone asks, I did quit for a year and then went back to a standard pipe for the past few months, and for my own reasons and maybe stupidly, maybe not...doubt I'll do it for long. However, that has no bearing on what happened...a year is full blown quit as far as the physical addiction, and I can and will do it again when things calm down.
Sounds like you're not so convinced about vaping, anyway...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like you're not so convinced about vaping, a'nyway..

I'm convinced enough that if I chose not to get off nicotine and I was a pack or more a day smoker, I would most likely go that route over tobacco. As it is now, the pipe I'm smoking, even if it's not the tiny pipe I mentioned, I'm just not smoking that much tobacco and though wrong to do IMO, not that unhealthy and I do plan to quite everything soon.

I would at the very least highly recommend it to any smoker for both trying to quite or if they just want to continue being an addict. I guess I just found an easier way to quit everything before I gave the vaping a fair chance. But like ciggs we still have to wean off, whether it be a cig or vaping and since that didn't work that well for me with ciggs, I didn't have a lot of faith trying the same thing but with a different nicotine delivery system. That's why I went on so about the no effort wean of the small pipe that won out as the perfect quitter... for me anyway.

So, convinced in some ways for sure, in others? just not sure.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟15,502.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Separated
A very nice share mate! I really enjoyed reading this guide. Very in depth one and just wanted to share with you guys history of drug addiction in Canada, hope you guys will be interested to check it out.
Hi I know this is years later-, but what exactly did that page say? It’s been wiped off the internet. Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One way of giving up a habit is to exchange it for another habit that provides a similar satisfaction. I did a quick search and learned that:
When a person smokes, nicotine reaches the brain in eight seconds and causes the release of a chemical called dopamine. Dopamine causes feelings of pleasure and relaxation, a sensation the body craves again and again.​
I put on my thinking cap for a substitute that causes the release of dopamine Dr. Herbert Benson's elicitation of the relax response (pdf) fits the bill.

From your post I gather you would like something religious. From the linked 1 page pdf
Key Religious Equivalents to the Relaxation Response
1. St. Augustine, Martin Luther, Fray Francisco de Oscuna, St. Theresa, Father Nicolas, and other early Christian ascetics and mystics practices “contemplation” and “recollection” in order to shut off the mind from external thoughts and to produce a passive attitude and mental solitude.
2. Contemplation or meditative exercises are found in early Judaic literature. Merkabolism, the earliest form of mysticism in Judaism, involved repetition of a magic emblem. A 13th century Rabbi, Abulafia, used the letters of God’s name as an object upon which to meditate. He also incorporated yogic breathing and body posture techniques.

As an aside: Gregorian chanting elicits the Relaxation Response for me.
I quit smoking after a demonstration in a grad psych course (40 years ago) where a fellow student provided a demonstration hypnosis session for quitting. I haven't smoked or desired to smoke not even pot since.

Relaxation Response: Dr. Herbert Benson Teaches You The Basics

Last edited:
Upvote 0