christian boyrfriend vs. catholic girlfriend, can it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am very new to this site and stumbled upon cause I was looking for an answer(s). I am catholic and my boyfriend is a divorced (christian). So, I am really confused. I know he wants to remarry (with me), but I dont feel our marriage wont be validated by God. Second I want to marry in a catholic church and want to know if this is agaisnt any christian rule. Third my boyfriend stated to me that we should not have sexual relations till we were married. Which i am fine with its just now I notice he is not ok with it. I dont know what to do, I dont know if having sex is wise before we are married, especially since he already said not to in the beginning ( I feel he contradicts himself, (even though we both have in the past). we constantly fight about religon. He said I dont know about the Holy Spirt because I am catholic and that I am a sinner cause I dont go to church all the time. I told him than he cant be a that much of a christian if he has been divorced and now knowingly want to have sex. I am tired of fighting :mad: and I want to know can christians and catholics marry, attend seperate church, raise kids on different beliefs and be happy, or am I gonna have to convert (because I dont want to). I dont want to lose or not marry him its just sometimes he makes me feel that a christian women would be better for. Please help me because I love him, I hope you didnt find any of my comments or problems resentful. Its just I had to ask another christian these questions who would answer them without and prejudice and honestly, thanks so much:sigh:

IrishGob

Dreaming of Ireland
Jun 17, 2004
Los Angeles
✟7,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you get married and have children, these problems/arguments will only get worse. If you are strong in your faith, trust that God will send you a strong, Catholic man, someone who you can start a home and family with, where you both agree on your faith. You sound like a wonderful Catholic woman and you shouldn't convert and compromise your faith and what you believe in.

I have seen a few couples try and make interfaith marriages work, and I have never seen a happy outcome. Especially where there are children involved. It's not fair for the kids to be torn between two different belief systems.

Please stay in touch with us here and let us know how it's going, ok?

Reactions: geocajun
Upvote 0

mathias1979

Resident Meteorologist
Nov 7, 2003
Middletown, CT
✟16,488.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Couple things,

DO NOT CONVERT only to make your boyfriend happy. If you have to compromise your own beliefs to please your boyfriend, then he is not the man for you. God would never ask your to do such a thing! You won't be happy to give up your beliefs and it really doesn't solve the fact that he is not open minded enough to accept your beliefs.

A relationship can work between a Catholic and non-Catholic, but only if they are both accepting of each others beliefs. The Church does not recommend it, but they will approve of it if you make a few promises...the main one is that you agree to raise your children in the Catholic faith.

I suggest heading over to the Catholic forum (http://www.christianforums.com/t714420) if you are looking for more advice.

-Matt

-Matt

Upvote 0

jenptcfan

My cup runneth over
Jun 15, 2002
✟14,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it would be very difficult (especially for you, as the Catholic member of the relationship). From what (admittedly little) I understand about the Catholic faith, if you are to leave the Catholic church for another denomination, that is considered very sinful. Also, you would be required to raise the children in the Catholic church. If your husband isn't willing to convert to Catholicism, or if he doesn't want his children raised in Catholicism, this is a serious serious issue.

That's not to say that it can't work. My sister is Baptist and her husband was raised Catholic (though he was not practicing long before they met). They've been married probably 17 years now. As it turns out, they rarely go to church at all, but when they do, they go to the Baptist church and the kids were saved/baptized in the Baptist church too. Usually in situations like this, one person has to give up their way of faith to keep peace OR if you can't agree, you might end up with neither of you going to church.

I don't think it's an ideal situation at all.

Not to mention the whole issue with your boyfriend being divorced. I believe that in many cases, the Catholic church does not see a second marriage as valid--so I don't know if they would perform the ceremony? I'm sure that a Catholic would be able to address that much better than I.

As far as the whole sex issue goes...please stay strong in this area. If you give in, you'll never be able to get that part of you back. I know it's difficult, but it's really worth it to stick to your beliefs.

Upvote 0

Cright

Veteran
Apr 18, 2004
SE Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟17,849.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi there!

I understand the delima. My bf and I started dateing and believed in different religions at the time. We never argued about our disagreements, but instead if we found we disagreed on something we would go to the bible for answers. We also emailed leaders/mentors in our churches for answers and took those into concideration.

What ended up happening is that we both LEARNED ALOT!!! On more things than not I had to change my view to match the bibles... on many fewer occasions he changed his views to match the bible. I ended up going to 3 bible studies a week during about 4 months of my searching time, he was going to 2 of them.

In the end, we ended up finding a church that we both agreed on and will become members next month. It's not a church that either of us had attended regularly before. (though he did bible study there for 5 months longer than I did).

I must agree with Mathias when he says don't convert for your boyfriend! That is the worst reason ever. However if you discuss things and one of you ends up believing more like the other (as in my case) and can find a church that mirrors your beliefs and you understand them... then that is a different story. I ONLY changed membership after nearly a year of study of the bible and making sure that I was doing what I felt was biblicly sound. Please take time in this decision!!

2nd subject - sex before marriage - don't do it! The Catholic Church doesnt' agree with it, and the bible doesn't agree with it. Do not lose your puritiy before you are married when it will be a pleasing act of love before God... before then, it's sin.

3rd subject - I think that your boyfriend (just my $.02 here, not trying to be mean) is being VERY insensitive if he's saying that you don't know the holy spirit because your Catholic... that is between you and God... if you've prayed to God and have asked Jesus to take away your sins and know that he's your lord and savior then don't worry about what anyone has said on that issue.
Also... same thing w/ him calling you a sinner... we are ALL sinners, but thanks to the wonderful perfect death that Jesus died for us we will be forgiven. No point in us calling each other sinners since we all are.

4th subject - There is no Christian or biblical law saying what church we should be married in. God doesn't care as long as HE is the focus. That we are getting married because we can serve him better together than alone.
The Catholic church however has church laws that may require classes, and if your bf was not previously married in the Catholic church they may not even reconise his marriage anyway??? I don't know. They might require him to convert which it doesn't sound like he's willing to do. You'll have to ask in your perish and then discuss it with him.

5th subject - I think it would be unfair and confusing for you to raise children together in 2 different churches. The Catholic church may also make you promise to raise your children in the Catholic faith in order to marry you in the church... don't forget to ask about that. My opinion is that you should study what the bible say son various subjects together and make sure that your beliefs are based on the bible.. find common ground and a common church before you get married!

God Bless,
Carina

Upvote 0

KennySe

Habemus Papam!
Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
✟14,554.00
Faith
Catholic
DinaDavisVargas said:
Well, I am very new to this site and stumbled upon cause I was looking for an answer(s).
Hello, DDV. :)

Your post is really two topics.

1. Your boyfriend and you.

2. Marriage between a Catholic Christian and a non-Catholic Christian.

I'll speak on both. I

am catholic and my boyfriend is a divorced (christian). So, I am really confused. I know he wants to remarry (with me), but I dont feel our marriage wont be validated by God. Second I want to marry in a catholic church and want to know if this is agaisnt any christian rule. Third my boyfriend stated to me that we should not have sexual relations till we were married. Which i am fine with its just now I notice he is not ok with it. I dont know what to do, I dont know if having sex is wise before we are married, especially since he already said not to in the beginning ( I feel he contradicts himself, (even though we both have in the past). we constantly fight about religon. He said I dont know about the Holy Spirt because I am catholic and that I am a sinner cause I dont go to church all the time. I told him than he cant be a that much of a christian if he has been divorced and now knowingly want to have sex. I am tired of fighting :mad:

Topic 1.

You and he need to work out your issues BEFORE you move on to the possibility of marriage.

Who does he think he is to say that you do not know the Holy Spirit because you are Catholic?

Who do you think you are to question him being a Christian?

The bickering must stop.

and I want to know can christians and catholics marry, attend seperate church, raise kids on different beliefs and be happy, or am I gonna have to convert (because I dont want to).

Topic 2.

yes, a Catholic and a non-Catholic may marry and attend separate churches, and be happy.

I dont want to lose or not marry him its just sometimes he makes me feel that a christian women would be better for.

back to Topic 1.

You ARE a Christian.

You are a Christian of the Catholic Faith.

What is the Catholic Church to you? How do you answer the question :What is the Catholic Church?
Based on that answer, the next question is: for what would you give up the Catholic Church?

Please help me because I love him, I hope you didnt find any of my comments or problems resentful. Its just I had to ask another christian these questions who would answer them without and prejudice and honestly, thanks so much:sigh:

I hope you find peace.

You need to do some tall praying on all this.

Please know that the Catholic board http://www.christianforums.com/f26 is there to comfort you too.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
DinaDavisVargas said:
Well, I am very new to this site and stumbled upon cause I was looking for an answer(s). I am catholic and my boyfriend is a divorced (christian). So, I am really confused.
Hi Dina. First, I just want to give you a hug :hug:

This is a really difficult position to be in.

I read through your post and I saw serveral things I think you should think really hard and long about before you move forward in this relationship.

The first is that he is divorced. That, in and of itself is not necessarily so big an issue as how it fits in with everything else.

First, what "kind" of a Christian is he? What faith tradition, denomination, group does he belong to?

I know he wants to remarry (with me), but I dont feel our marriage wont be validated by God.
Can you explain what you mean by this? That it won't be validated by God? That is a very real concern, especially since he is divorced, there are some things that need to be figured out.

Second I want to marry in a catholic church and want to know if this is agaisnt any christian rule.
Whose Church rule?

It is certainly not agaisnt the Catholic Church's rule for you as a Catholic to marry a non-Catholic in the Catholic Church. There would be things to go over with the priest about, but it happens all the time.

Third my boyfriend stated to me that we should not have sexual relations till we were married. Which i am fine with its just now I notice he is not ok with it.
This concerns me . . did he say what he said before to get you to accept him as your boyfriend, and now that the emotional tie is so much stronger, he is willing to drop it and try to get you to compromise your religious teaching and moral upbringing? If you were given decent catechesis, you know that premarital sex is a sin . . so what your boyfriend is essentially doing now is beginning to pressure you to compromise your values and morals and commit sin with him because he is having trouble controling his own passions.

Giving in like that, compromising, is never going produce good fruit . . compromise over truth produces death and decay.

If he really loves you, and understood that sex before marriage is wrong, then why is he beginning to pressure you now to sin with him so his carnal desires can be satiated? Putting your emotions aside, Is someone who would ask you to compromise about something so serous as this really the strong Christian man you want as a husband for the rest of your life? If a friend came to you with this problem, what advice would you give her?

I dont know what to do, I dont know if having sex is wise before we are married,
Never.

especially since he already said not to in the beginning ( I feel he contradicts himself, (even though we both have in the past).
the contradiction is something to take note of, and take seriously. Don't brush it off. . if you let it go by this time, it will happen again and again and again . . this will be a pattern you will have to deal with in your relationship from this point forward. Is this something you want to have to deal with, possibly for the rest of your life?

we constantly fight about religon.
if this is happening now before marriage, it will only get worse aferwards, not better.

He said I dont know about the Holy Spirt because I am catholic and that I am a sinner cause I dont go to church all the time.
Then he does not have a good idea of what it is to be a Christian. No one, but God, has the ability to see into another's heart and now the state of that soul before Him. No one has the right to judge the salvation of another human being. when they do, they take upon themselves the perrogatives that belong only to God.

But more important, is this condemning attitude . . this is something that you will have to live with for the rest of your life if you marry him . . and if it is like this now, believe me, it gets much worse after one is married.

I told him than he cant be a that much of a christian if he has been divorced and now knowingly want to have sex. I am tired of fighting :mad: and I want to know can christians and catholics marry, attend seperate church, raise kids on different beliefs and be happy, or am I gonna have to convert (because I dont want to).
First, as a Catholic you ARE a Chrsitian. The question is, can a Cahtolic and non-Catholic Christian marry and be happy . . yes. . . but it depends greatly on WHO you are marrying . . . I am not at all convinced that you and your boyfriend could be happy even if you were both of the same faith tradition, ie even if you converted to his faith tradition or he converted to yours as things stand now.

Second, can you attend separate Churches? Of course. The non-Catholic partner is not required to attend Catholic Mass.

Third, can you happily raise kids on different belief systems? I think that would be extremely difficult to do. The children need to have stability and constancy for their happiness . . and to go get religious education from two different faith traditions, especially if one of them is anti-Catholic (as your words above indicate his might be) and the other is Catholic will create confusion for your children, not contentment and happiness.

If you decide to get married, I would recommend that you do not get married outside the Catholic Church, for if you do that will put you in a position of not being able to receive the Sacraments (Eucharist, etc). If I can at all stress how wonderful it is for you to be able to receive the Eucharist in the Catholic Faith, and how wonderful it will be to be able to have your children baptized in the Catholic faith, this is something very important. I am saying this from a personal perspective as a recent convert to Catholicism after much study and learning about the Catholic faith . . you cannot find the Eucharist outside the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches and this is a great gift to give to your children.

To get married in the Catholic Church, the non-Catholic spouse needs to agree to allow the children to be raised Catholic, to not hinder this, and to cooperate in this.

The other issue that will come up is his previous divorce . .. The question that will need to be answered is was his previous marriage a valid one, or one that the Catholic Church would annul. To go forward on a new marriage, the first one would have to be declared invalid.

If his first marriage is found to have been valid, then your first concern mentioned above, about being your marriage to him being validated by God is a very, very real one. And no, it would not.

The question is, are you willing to live in a marriage that is not validated by God, in a relationship that is not marriage in the eyes of God in order to have this relationship? The Church would consider this to be living in sin.

But if the first marriage is annulled, then your marriage could procede as I described above within the Catholic Church.

This is NOT to restrict you . . but to PROTECT you and all involved from entering into a permanent relationship that would be destructive to you spiritually until corrected.

I dont want to lose or not marry him its just sometimes he makes me feel that a christian women would be better for. Please help me because I love him, I hope you didnt find any of my comments or problems resentful. Its just I had to ask another christian these questions who would answer them without and prejudice and honestly, thanks so much
Love is a very strong emotion and can cloud how we view things. Getting other more objective opinions and thoughts is always a good thing.

I am most concerned for your not because he is non-Catholic and you are Catholic, but because of his judgemental attitude towards your Christianity and your state before God, trying to make you feel that you are not a Christian or somehow less of a christian because you don't do what he thinks you need to do, and in very fact that you don't have the Holy Spirit because you are Catholic.

I am being very blunt. . . you are butting right up against anit-Catholic sentiments, and if you get married, unless somthing happens to change him and his views on this, you will but up against this the rest of your life, as long as you are married to him, and it will wear and tear you down. Your children will also be affected by it. And believe me. Anti-Catholic sentiment is very easily picked up by kids and internalized . .

The question is, do you want your kids growing up to be anti-Catholic?

This, in and of itself is a really big RED flag for me . . I would recommend that you put your relationship on hold until you can get this worked out.

The other issue is his wanting you to compromise your values and morals to have premariatal sex . . you may find you want to do so as well . . and perhaps morally you do not see that it is so big a problem. But let me put it to you this way:

You know that at one point he believed premarital sex to be wrong. Now he is not OK with waiting . . and wants you to give him now what he was saying before needed to be saved for marriage. This speaks at the very least of weakness on his part. And it is understandable given the secular atmosphere surrounding this issue.

BUT, remember what Paul said about the weaker brother, to do nothing that would cause him to sin . . . You both know that premarital sex is a sin called fornication. You know that if you allow him to pressure you into premariatal sex, that you will be encouraging him to do something he knows is wrong, and thus you will be guilty of being a cause of his stumbling and sinning.

Do you want to play that role in his life? Do you want to be responsible for that?

I am also going to recommend something . . . that you go see a Catholic Priest for counseling on how to handle what is happening, your concerns, etc. A good priest is not going to condemn you, he is not going to tell you you are wrong for considering to marry a non-Catholic.

He IS going to give you the information and help you need to make the best possible decision for yourself, your boyfriend and any children you might have if you get married.

Marriage is an incredible thing . . it can be a path of great personal and spritual growth together, or one of pain and anguish, or somewhere in the middle.

Do not settle for what appears to be good for you at the cost of God's BEST for you . ..

Find out if this is really God's BEST for you. :)

Go speak to a priest about all this. Get the answers you need straight from teh horse's mouth and let us know what happens, OK?

:)

:hug:

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

EllenMoran

Lord, I believe, help my unbelief
Mar 16, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
✟17,024.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dina-

Others have covered it better than I can, but I wanted to let you know that I am a Catholic marrying a lapsed Methodist/agnostic. We have pushed each other to understand our beliefs and opinions better, and it has led me to grow immeasurably in my faith.

However, we do have agreement on some fundamental things that it sounds like may be giving you trouble in your relationship. We very much agree on the importance of raising children in one faith, and he has agreed to raise any future children Catholic. Also, while he doesn't agree with everything I believe, he is open to discussing, learning, and helping me grow in my faith. There is a huge difference between not believing what I do and condemning me for my beliefs.

I will pray that you can discern what is best as you try to work through this.

Upvote 0
Oh wow, jeepers, lol! I did not think I would get such an overwhelming and great response. This is amazing. Ok so I had lots of questions from everyone, and I ill go one by one. For Irish Gob- You stated you seen few couple of interfaith make it work. I am not going to convert however, I would consider it because I feel it is still my religon and my boyfriend would defintely help bring me closer to God. I just wanted to know is that something realistic, like going from Catholic to Christian.
For Cright- He stated when we first had a date that there could be no sex, he went as far to say his church would ban him if they knew!! But why not ban him for being divorced?? but changed his tune shortly after (now saying that he sometimes questions certain things in his faith, cause if you love someone u should, I guess consummate, (i dunno).
Also I do not want want children on two belief systems, I told him its fine to raise them Christian, because I do not pratice my faith as adamantly as him, so the religon should come from the stronger parent, which would be him. However even that is not enough all I asked him was that he understand I raising a child before anything. The reason I say this is because he said no costumes on Halloween, and I do not agree with this, i told him no ghouls, devils or etc but I want to be able to enjoy every moment of my first child. (another dilemma)
Also he states he would be happier if I went to his congregation (which I would because this is something he hold to his heart) its just I told him please do not expect me to follow or do things as they would. For, example no-make up or pants, because those are not my rules and I fell I am simply going there to praise GOD.

kenny Se - I am no one to question him as a christian its just dont toot ur horn if im a sinner for no church - then so is he for being a divorcee
The Little Flower - thanks for the hug! He is a charasmatic christian and what I meant by validated is, how can a churvh recognize my marriage if he is a divorced person,

Another major problem I have (which I know you guys will help me) is the amount of time that goes into this. I mean we are both very successful and I go to Law school he has a great job which takes enough time from both of us. But he goes to church like3X a week and its weekends (the time i should) for a nite mass so my day is killed cause he leaves really late, then he has to drive people all over the world. Goes on lots of retreats, I mean he all over - just not with me. Since I dont really know to much about being Chrisitan I was wondering if everyone was like this and how do u make time for your partner??

Any one I missed thanks for your info and insight, I WAS most blessed to receive them, please keep me in ur prayers as I will!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Dina, :)

I think perhaps everything might be a bit clearer if you were able to have assurance of your own position in relation to God? I see that you are really seeking after God in all of this, but I also see a lack of certainty about your own beliefs.

It's hard to make major decisions like this anyhow, but are you a little unsure about whether you are in fact a Christian?

The reason I say that is because you call your boyfriend a Christian, as if contrasting that with your own position.

Also you seem unsure of whether sleeping together really would be wrong.

You say you are Catholic, but don't go to church often, and seem to be carrying guilt over this too. You also mention not knowing about the Holy Spirit, and put that down to being Catholic. Catholics can have the Holy Spirit too!

Denominations vary, sometimes a lot, but ALL Christians have the Holy Spirit, though not all are particularly aware of His presence or what He is doing in their lives.

The thing you really need to explore before all the rest, is your own relationship with God.

I'm sorry if I am being impertinent, but do you perhaps need more help in this area before tackling the boyfriend issue?

Post again if you have questions about knowing that you really belong to Jesus and how to learn about the Holy Spirit. Or PM me if you prefer.

God bless, Susana

Upvote 0
I not confused about the Holy Spirit, my boyfriend said because I am Catholic i dont know anything about it. Which I dont think is true or fair to say. I know my position with God, I dont go to church every Sunday, but I pray everyday and ask for forgiveness. I go to church when I can ( I have a schedule and my day is over at almost 10pm everyday leaving me with little time for church) sometimes during lunch I will stop in for a quick prayer thats all, I get do. I never felt guilty about not going to church because I still follow in the lords footsteps, I volunteer do charity work and I am a good person. Me questioning conversion was to spend more time with my b-friend and ease our arguments down, it turn I would obviously be more active. I hope I clarified things for you and tks for your posting it was enlighting

Upvote 0

EllenMoran

Lord, I believe, help my unbelief
Mar 16, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
✟17,024.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dina, I am only re-stating this because it seems that you missed it:

You are Christian.

There are differences between the branches of Christianity, but Catholics, Baptists, Presbyterians, Orthodox, etc. etc. etc. are all Christian.

Edited to add: Have you told your bf that you think his position is completely untrue re: your relationship with the Holy Spirit? I am just very worried that he isn't accepting of your religion -- while I may pray for my fiance's growth in his relationship with God daily, I don't tell him he is lost forever because he won't convert to Catholicism or attend Mass with me every Sunday.

It sounds like you have some strong differences that need to be addressed before you even consider marriage. These are not small issues you mention here. If you are not willing to convert to his church, I would strongly recommend against the two of you always going to his church and never to yours. Aside from the Church's teaching that her members need to attend Mass each Sunday, it isn't healthy to only allow his faith to grow in his church and not give yours a chance to grow at your church. (Doesn't mean you can't grow at his, but before children are in the picture it really isn't unreasonable to find a way to attend both.)

Although you aren't engaged, a program such as Engaged Encounter (for couples who are engaged or who are considering marriage) may be very helpful. My fiance (the lapsed Methodist/agnostic) and I (the Catholic) just attended one a couple of weeks ago, and it was very insightful. You get an opportunity to write your own thoughts and reactions on your own, then discuss with your partner. It may help you determine whether or not this is someone you would want to commit yourself to for the rest of your life.

PM me if you'd like. I was a lapsed Catholic for a very long time, and as I have mentioned will be marrying a non-Catholic in 6 weeks, so we may have some similar experiences. :hug:

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
DinaDavisVargas said:
Oh wow, jeepers, lol! I did not think I would get such an overwhelming and great response. This is amazing. Ok so I had lots of questions from everyone, and I ill go one by one. For Irish Gob- You stated you seen few couple of interfaith make it work. I am not going to convert however, I would consider it because I feel it is still my religon and my boyfriend would defintely help bring me closer to God. I just wanted to know is that something realistic, like going from Catholic to Christian.
Hi Dina

I hope it is OK to respond to your responses to others as well.

I can understand the feeling that, if you gave up being Catholic to join your boyfriend in his faith tradition, you really wouldn't be changing anything since you would still be Christian, but is that really true?

Yes you would still be Chrsitian, but at what cost? Would you have everything in his faith tradition you have now in Catholicism? Would you have the same fulness of faith and protection from doctrinal error you have now as a Catholic?

I know that this perspective will not sit well with some who are Protestant, and I do not mean to offend. But since we are talking about Catholicism and Protestantism (and the faith tradition your boyfriend is in is protestant in the general usage of that word) it is important to really consider the differences.

As one who has had to closely examine the differences between them on my faith journey into Catholicism, I say this sincerely and seriously.

Here is a little bit of my background. I was raised Eastern Orthodox, but I was not well instructed in my faith as my father was an agnositic (though his father and brother were priests). I fell away from the Christian faith when I was a preteen . . into the occult.

I had a deep and powerful conversion experience that happened just between myself and God on night alone in my room when I was 14. it changed my life forever. I was given a protestant understanding of it by my new Christian friends at school and I reamined strongly Protestant for the next 30 years, Charismatic, etc . . I probably have a good understanding of what your boyfriend believes. :)

4 years ago this month, God pulled the rug out from underneath me and began to show me the errors of Protestantism . . the shock was incredible, for many things I had beleived to be true about Protestantism I found out were false. That began my journey into discovering which Church today was closest to the Early Church of the New Testament and first couple of centuries. 3 years later, I had discovered so much that it became quite evident that the Catholic Church was the same Church Christ founded, and that where Protestantism has fractured into thousands of groups with different, competing beliefs, Catholicism maintained the fullness of faith through the centuries. Much prayer went into this process, much deep interior searching and struggling to let go of myths and embrace truth, constant turning to God over and over again to know and understand what was true and what was error. All this led me into the Catholic faith.

And this is what I found.

As a Protestant, immersed in the Holy Spirit, I thought I had been feasting from this huge, rich banquet table of the Lord . . it was marvelous, tremendous . . it seemed nothing was lacking. As I was reaching the point of understanding that the fullness of faith is in the Catholic Church, I had a vision . . I saw myself like a small girl in a white dress sitting on the floor, joyfully catching crumbs as they fell off a table with a white linen table cloth that reached to the floor. These crumbs were delightful, wonderful, rich and so full - how could I desire anything more than these?

Then I realized that there had to be more, so I stood up and looked . . and my eyes got wide . . THIS banquet table was vaster, bigger than anything I had ever imagined . . it went on and on forever. I realized then that what I had previously perceived to be the banquet table of the Lord was in reality the crumbs that were falling off of THIS banquest table . . and as glorious as those crumbs had been, THIS was the banquet table of the Lord, and everything on it was available to me. It could never be exhausted.

Because of this, because of all I have learned, because of all God has revealed to me in ths process, I could never want to go back to less than everything God is offering me.

And I cannot recommend that you do so either. I cannot recommend or say it is OK to leave this fulness of faith for something, though Christian, offers so much less. You have been baptized into the fulness of the Christian faith, the Catholic faith . . should one leave it for any reason? Is being in love with someone reason enough to leave it?

Jesus said that we would have to make tough choices to follow Him. He said we would have to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Him or we would not be worthy of Him. He said He came to send a sword. . . .

Our commitment to follow Christ FULLY will result in those we love perhaps rejecting us if we don't deny even part of what we know to be true.

I am going to be very blunt.

To leave the Catholic Church, even to join another Christian faith tradition, to satisfy your boyfriend and save your relationship with him would meean that you would have to compromise your faith by rejecting part of what you know to be true. It would mean you would be putting your relationship with your boyfriend before your relationship with Chirst . . making a full relationship with your boyfriend more important than a full relationship with Christ.

You are facing some tough choices in this relationship, and I don't think they are going to get any easier . . in fact, the more you try to compromise to make this all work, the more you will have to compromise down the road unless God intervenes and changes his heart.

There are no sacraments in the Charismatic/Pentecostal Churches (other than baptism if done correctly). And here is a very important question for you . . how do they baptize believers in your boyfriends church? Do they use the Trinitarian formula, in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit? Or do they baptize in the name of Jeus only? If the later, then those baptisms would not be valid.

There is no Eucharist, the Real Presence of Jesus, in the Charismatic/Pentecostal Churches . . . . (what they have is only a symbol of the reality we have in the Catholic faith)

There is no sacrement of reconcilliation . . so they can never avail themselves of the promise of Christ given to the Apostles . . "whosoever sins you forgive, they are forgiven".

They do not hold the Keys of the Kingdom of heaven given to Peter. They do not have valid Apostolic Succession.

They deny Sacred Tradition. . . . All they have is the scripture, but they have no plumb line to measure their interpretation of scripture against, so there is not way to determine if their interpretation of scritpure and doctrines developed from such are indeed correct. Scripture has to be interpreted, so you can not use what you are interpreting as your plumb line for measuring your interpretation against, or you enter into a logically fallicy known as ciruclar reasoning . .

Are you willing to give up all of this, and much more, that Christ died to give you trhough the Church He established, all that your boyfriend's faith tradition rejects, to keep your relationship viable with your boyfriend?

This is a question you have to ask and answer . .

For Cright- He stated when we first had a date that there could be no sex, he went as far to say his church would ban him if they knew!! But why not ban him for being divorced?? but changed his tune shortly after (now saying that he sometimes questions certain things in his faith, cause if you love someone u should, I guess consummate, (i dunno).
Consumation outside of marriage is fornication . . it is a sin, black and white . .no grey area.

it sounds to me like your boyfriend needs to get his own act together . .. if his church would ban him if they knew he had sex outside of marriage, and he wants you now to engage in this, it sounds like for all his claims and outward show of Christianity, he needs to get himself right with God . . . He is questioning certain things in his faith . . it sounds like at least one of these has to do with morality, and what the bible clearly states is sin . .

So, is he questioning just the teachings of his faith tradition?

Or God Himself . . . .

It seems to me, God Himself . . . .

Also I do not want want children on two belief systems, I told him its fine to raise them Christian, because I do not pratice my faith as adamantly as him, so the religon should come from the stronger parent, which would be him.
I understand your reasoning, but I would ask that you reconsider this. Should your decision be dependent on which one is stronger in their faith?

Or on which offered them the most truth?

Would you prefer to receive less truth yourself? Would you want your children to receive less truth?

However even that is not enough all I asked him was that he understand I raising a child before anything. The reason I say this is because he said no costumes on Halloween, and I do not agree with this, i told him no ghouls, devils or etc but I want to be able to enjoy every moment of my first child. (another dilemma)
I completely understand where your boyfriend is coming from . . he is coming from a fundamentalist mindset, and anything to do with halloween is evil. I used to believe very strongly that way, would not let my children to out trick or treating, though we would take them to the Church parties on halloween ..

But as I learned where halloween came from, and contrary to what it means to some in the secular and even occultic groups today, it still remains something that celebrated rightly, is a Christian celebration . .and I believe it should be celebrated as a fully Christian feast day regardless of how the secular and/or occultic groups have tried to make it theirs. . . . So I agree with you, no ghouls, devils, witches, etc . . but costumes that are appropriate for a Chrsitian celebration are just fine. :) My kids had a lot of fun this last halloween. ;)

Also he states he would be happier if I went to his congregation (which I would because this is something he hold to his heart) its just I told him please do not expect me to follow or do things as they would. For, example no-make up or pants, because those are not my rules and I fell I am simply going there to praise GOD.
This will remain a bone of contention that will get deeper and deeper . . . . as long as he believes his group is right and yours is wrong (and I would not be at all surprised to learn that his group believes the Catholic faith to not be Christian at all, that the Pope is the anti-christ, and that the Catholc Church is the harlot of babylon), I believe this will continue and get more difficult. Eventually, unless God softens his heart, he will want you to chooose between him and your Catholic faith . . . especially if he and/or his church beleives the Catholic faith is not Christian.

Is this a position you want to be in? Are you willing to deny the truth of your Cahtolic faith to accept his so you an make this relationship last?

kenny Se - I am no one to question him as a christian its just dont toot ur horn if im a sinner for no church - then so is he for being a divorcee
The question of his divorced status . .whether it is sinful or not depends on the validity of his previous marriage. Where they both validly baptized? Where they non-Christians who divorced and later he turned to Christ? For instance, Paul allows for the unbelieving spouse to leave a believing spouse after the spouse converted, and the believing spouse is not bound in that case and is free to remarry. Thsi is called the Pauline priviledge. . . . Just because someone is divorced does not mean that they are guilty of a sin directly related to the divorce . . but it raises very serious questions that have to be answered.

And that take us back to what I talked about before, being married validly in the Catholic Church and in the eyes of God.

The Little Flower - thanks for the hug! He is a charasmatic christian and what I meant by validated is, how can a churvh recognize my marriage if he is a divorced person,
Because, as I mentioned above, the "why" of the divorce has everything to do with it as well as the baptismal state of the parties involved. But it has to be carefully determined; otherwise, how do you know you are not entering into an adulterous relationship when you marry someone who has been previously divorced?

I have to break this up . ..

Peace in Him!

Reactions: Breetai
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Another major problem I have (which I know you guys will help me) is the amount of time that goes into this. I mean we are both very successful and I go to Law school he has a great job which takes enough time from both of us. But he goes to church like3X a week and its weekends (the time i should) for a nite mass so my day is killed cause he leaves really late, then he has to drive people all over the world. Goes on lots of retreats, I mean he all over - just not with me. Since I dont really know to much about being Chrisitan I was wondering if everyone was like this and how do u make time for your partner??
I am assuming that when you say you do not really know much about being a Christian, you are maning a Charismatic Protestant Christian, not a Christian in a general sense which you are as a Catholic.

What you are seeing is probably indeed acceptable behavior in his faith traditoin. Not all Protestant faith traditions would agree that this is acceptable if a person has family commitments . . so what would happen after you are married? Would this continue? Would his church encourage him to keep this up once he is married? Would his church expect you to join him in all this activity? Can you effectively raise a family with so much time being devoted to others and church?

If his church continues to encourage him in this, and he and his church want you to join him in this, and you are resistant to this, are you prepared for the friction this will cause between you both and between you and his church?

Can I ask what demonination he belongs to?

Also, how well do you understand your Catholic faith?

Have you been to One Bread One Body here at CF? If not, or if you haven't been there much, come on in and visit . . ask your questions there too . . there are some VERY knowledgeable Catholics there who can really help.

Any one I missed thanks for your info and insight, I WAS most blessed to receive them, please keep me in ur prayers as I will!!!!!!!!
You are in my prayers. I hope that I have been able to give you food for thought. :)

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

Warrior Poet

A Legendary Outlaw
Jun 25, 2003
Sunny SoCal, In a city named after a fruit. Cake.
✟17,965.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Did anyone read the OP you two are not suppose to be together this is crazy. You fight about religion and mudsling things at each other..do you two call each other names as well..... both are walking contraditions in your relationship.... religions aside this isnt a healthy relationship. All this about christian and Catholic is irrelevant and pointless.... she is seaking relationship advive thats what should be given here, religion seems to be the bump but other problems have tuned into a mountain.
Rethinking this whole thing, maybe a good idea. You said HE wants to marry.... nothing about WE.."another problem" "another problem".....I want....he wants. I will eat my words if you can tell me why you two are still together and more so why you are planning to get married, it seems as though you cant see eye to eye or the tiny minute details mean SOOOOOO much more then the bigger picture. Most people when they post especally their OP they say nice things about their SO THAT is a huge sign.. and normally means something. This isnt the case, if this is strictly about religion you are in the wrong forum. It does not sound like you are all that happy with one another...
So lets try working on this by getting the focus off the negative first... give a new OP and do this again.

Warrior Poet

Reactions: KleinerApfel
Upvote 0

desi

Aug 20, 2003
La Vista
✟4,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
DinaDavisVargas said:
I am catholic and my boyfriend is a divorced (christian). So, I am really confused. I know he wants to remarry (with me), but I dont feel our marriage wont be validated by God.
Good point.

DinaDavisVargas said:
Second I want to marry in a catholic church and want to know if this is agaisnt any christian rule.
If he becomes Catholic and gets the church to annull his prior marriage it might work.

DinaDavisVargas said:
Third my boyfriend stated to me that we should not have sexual relations till we were married. Which i am fine with its just now I notice he is not ok with it. I dont know what to do, I dont know if having sex is wise before we are married, especially since he already said not to in the beginning ( I feel he contradicts himself, (even though we both have in the past).
Don't have sex before marriage, even though you may want to.

DinaDavisVargas said:
we constantly fight about religon. He said I dont know about the Holy Spirt because I am catholic and that I am a sinner cause I dont go to church all the time. I told him than he cant be a that much of a christian if he has been divorced and now knowingly want to have sex.
He sounds ignorant and you make a valid point.

DinaDavisVargas said:
I am tired of fighting :mad: and I want to know can christians and catholics marry, attend seperate church, raise kids on different beliefs and be happy, or am I gonna have to convert (because I dont want to). I dont want to lose or not marry him its just sometimes he makes me feel that a christian women would be better for. Please help me because I love him, I hope you didnt find any of my comments or problems resentful. Its just I had to ask another christian these questions who would answer them without and prejudice and honestly, thanks so much:sigh:
Be firm about him converting to Catholicism and don't have sex with him. He should come around to your way of thinking.

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dina,

glad you are sure of your faith, sorry if I offended you by questioning that.

I think WarriorPoet has a good point - maybe we have been sidetracked by religion when it's a human relationship issue?

What are the plus points that keep you two together?

Blessings, Susana

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Here's my short answer:

Your bf is being more trouble than he's worth. End the relationship. I don't see a problem with a Catholic dating another Christian who is non-Catholic, but it is not easy. I do not think that it is worth the trouble if neither of you want to compromise your denominations. Plus, it seems that you two fight about things too often. Go find someone else who you can get along with better and who is more mature in his faith and in his life.
To leave the Catholic Church, even to join another Christian faith tradition, to satisfy your boyfriend and save your relationship with him would meean that you would have to compromise your faith by rejecting part of what you know to be true. It would mean you would be putting your relationship with your boyfriend before your relationship with Chirst . . making a full relationship with your boyfriend more important than a full relationship with Christ.
I couldn't agree with this more. Do not leave the Catholic Church for your boyfriend. You would be breaking the first commandment.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.