Christ, the Passover...(can anyone of you add more to this subject?)

Caissie

Mar 26, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟1,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am doing a deep study on Christ and the Passover. Here are some of the things that I have found so far: (If you know of any more please tell me also, If a source is not accurate, please tell me)

Here are just some of the many, many ways that Christ fulfilled the role of the Passover lamb.

For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast...[1 Corinthians 5:7-8]

1. The Jews call the Passover, "the festival of redemption". [The Jewish Festivals; by Hayyim Schauss]

Christ is our Redeemer [Galations 3:13, Titus 2:13-14, and many more].

2. The Passover lamb had to be killed at 3 pm on the first month of the holy calendar (14th day of Nissan).

Christ died at 3 pm on the first month of the holy calendar. (Matthew 27:45-50)

3. The Passover lamb had to be killed in Jerusalem, but outside of the city gates. (Deuteronomy 16:5-6, then look at 2 Kings 21:4)

Christ was killed in Jerusalem, but outside of the city gates. (John 19:16-19, Hebrews 13:10-13)

4. The Passover lamb must be unblemished. (Exodus 12:5)

Christ was unblemished (1 Peter 1:18-20)
Also, when Pilate said, "I find no fault in him." [John 19:4, 6] he was essentially saying, that Christ was without blemish.

5. The whole assembly shall kill the Passover lamb. (Exodus 12:6)

Everyone who has ever sinned [which means everyone] is responsible for killing Christ.

6. Not a bone on the Passover lamb was to be broken.[Exodus 12:46]

Not a bone on Christ was broken.[John 19:33-36]

7. The Jews would put their name on their lamb

God put His name on His Lamb!. (This is real cool!) Click here

8. In preparation of the Passover, the Jews would go through their house in search for leaven (leaven represents sin [Matthew 16:6-12, Luke 12:1, 1 Corinthians 5:2-8]) and clean all the leaven from their house.

In Matthew 21:1-13, you can see that Jesus went into Jerusalem, then cast out the thieves from the temple. So, that would mean that at the same time the Jews were cleaning the leaven from their houses, God was cleaning the leaven (sin) from His house.

9. The last words from the high priest as he cut the Passover lamb's throat was "It is finished" [The Seven Festivals of the Messiah; by Eddie Chumney]

"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, 'It is finished': and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." [John 19:30]

That means that at the same time that the high priest was saying "It is finished" (referring to the Passover sacrifice), The High Priest (Jesus) was saying the exact words (referring to The Passover sacrifice)!

10. "The highest point in the evolution of the Pesach (Passover) came in the last century of the second Temple, when the Jews suffered from the heavy oppression of the Romans. It was during this period that the Messianic hope flamed up, and in the minds of the Jews the deliverance of the future became bound up with the first redemption in Jewish history: the deliverance from Egypt...This belief gained added strength in this period of Roman occupation and oppression. Jews began to believe that the Messiah would be a second Moses and would free the Jews the self-same eve, the eve of Pesach (Passover). So Pesach (Passover) became the festival of the second as well as the first redemption;... Jewish hearts beat faster on the eve of Pesach (Passover), beat with the hope that this night the Jews would be freed from bondage of Rome, just as their ancestors were released from Egyptian slavery." [The Jewish Festivals; by Hayyim Schauss]

The really awesome thing is that at the same time when the Jews were looking so hard for the Messiah to bring the second redemption on Passover eve, the Messiah did bring the second redemption on Passover eve!

11. The blood of the Passover lamb was put on the doorposts for death to pass over their houses.

When we accept God's perfect sacrifice for our sins, we enter into God's family. By faith, we walk though the doorway into God's house, through the blood of The Lamb (Christ) that is on the doorposts, and death will pass over us!

Charlesinflorida

Jan 2, 2004
Florida, US
Visit site
✟753.00
Faith
Messianic
The Passover lamb is brought into the Temple on the 10th and put on public display for people to examine it for blemish. Yeshua entered the temple to expose his doctrine on the 10th until the time he was arrested.

The lamb was roasted, tied to a wooden stake.

The Matzah for passover is striped and pierced

In the seder meal The middle matzah of the three that are wrapped together in what is called the unity is the one identified by Yeshua as representing his body. It is broken in two with half used for the seder service, the other half of it is wrapped in a white cloth and hidden (like yeshua in the grave) and then searched for by the children and the one that finds it is rewarded by the father of the house. The last piece which has been found is shared with all the others and is called the Afikomen, (desert) and it is held in the mouth until it becomes swet, (as the starch urns to sugar). Thos who find Messiah ind sweetness for their lives.

The cup after the dinner is the one that Yeshua identified with his blood. There are 4 cups of wine during the seder, each have a name. the one after the meal is the cup of redemption.

It was in the context of this seder meal of passover which Yeshua said that we are to remember im in. That is each year we are to observe the passover and to remember his sacrifice in it with those elements. It was not the start of a new or diferent tradition called communion.

In cleaning the home before passover, it is a custom in some place for the mother to hide 10 crusts of bread in the house and the father and children will look for them until they find them. hey use a canle to look for them. (Representing Torah) and they use a feather (representing the Holy Spirit) and they sweep the crumbs onto a wooden spoon (The cross) and then when they find all ten, they wrap the spoon and crumbs in a white cloth, take it to the synagogue where it is thrown on the fire, destroying for ever the record of sins.

There is more. I will leave that or someone whos hands are not hurting like mine.

CIF

Upvote 0

Charlesinflorida

Jan 2, 2004
Florida, US
Visit site
✟753.00
Faith
Messianic
Yes one more that I must mention. The passover looks back to the elieverance from the worlds pagan elgious system and slavery. It also looks forward to the time of tribulation when the same types of plagues are visited upon the earth again to free men for sin and godless things. The blood of the lamb of God is the only covering to protect you from the plagues of the revelation. (They are the same )

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cfryalls/2ndexodus.html

CIF

Upvote 0

Charlesinflorida

Jan 2, 2004
Florida, US
Visit site
✟753.00
Faith
Messianic
When one reads all of these things a question comes to mind, "How can it be that the Jews do not see that all these things were fulfilled by Yeshua and that he truly was the Messiah?" It is also true that all the appointed feast also point to Messiah Yeshua and were fulfilled in the same dynamic way. And still they do not see him. The answer is because for the most part, the believers in Messiah (Jesus) have taken the witness of Him out of the feasts. Because the church does not keep the Holy days which God gave specifically to teach us about messiah and to put a spot light on him, the witness and testimony of Yeshua has been lost to the Jewish people. This is the cost of separating from Gods appointed feasts and forming other traditons.

Charles in Florida

Upvote 0

Caissie

Mar 26, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟1,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Linda8 said:
quote from website...​
With that knowledge, take the Hebrew phrase above and form an acrostic.​
Yeshua HaNazarei VaHaMelech HaYehudim

YHVH

G-d has placed His name on His sacrificial lamb!​
___________​
Wow.. that's deep.:)

I think after knowing the above, it makes more sense why the chief priests did not want Pilate to write those words like that. I think they saw it.

John 19:19-22
19 And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.
20 This title then read many of the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city: and it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin.
21 Then said the chief priests of the Jews to Pilate, Write not, The King of the Jews; but that he said, I am King of the Jews.
22 Pilate answered, What I have written I have written.

Charlesinflorida said:
When one reads all of these things a question comes to mind, "How can it be that the Jews do not see that all these things were fulfilled by Yeshua and that he truly was the Messiah?"

I heard one Jew say, "when my Rabbi says, 'this is the Messiah' then I'll believe it".
Also, Sometimes Christians do not give Christ a good name. One of the books that I quoted from many times was written by a Jew. I thought, how could he not see this. But then I noticed that it was written in 1938 and I understood.

Thanks for more info.

Caissie

Upvote 0

Caissie

Mar 26, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟1,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Charlesinflorida said:
It is also true that all the appointed feast also point to Messiah Yeshua and were fulfilled in the same dynamic way. And still they do not see him. The answer is because for the most part, the believers in Messiah (Jesus) have taken the witness of Him out of the feasts. Because the church does not keep the Holy days which God gave specifically to teach us about messiah and to put a spot light on him, the witness and testimony of Yeshua has been lost to the Jewish people. This is the cost of separating from Gods appointed feasts and forming other traditons.

Charles in Florida

I agree. I celebrated the true Passover for the first time last year. After looking into all this, I realized that the Messiah wanted us to "do this in remembrance of" Him and not the communion that most Christian churches do. So, I invited my family, and we had Passover at my house. I showed them what each part of the Passover meant and my parents liked it so much that they want for me to host one this year for them and some of our friends.

Caissie

Upvote 0

Toney

Watcher
Feb 24, 2004
Kansas
✟9,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Charlesinflorida said:
Because the church does not keep the Holy days which God gave specifically to teach us about messiah and to put a spot light on him, the witness and testimony of Yeshua has been lost to the Jewish people. This is the cost of separating from Gods appointed feasts and forming other traditons.

Charles in Florida

Shalom Charles, et al

First, please note in the upper left that I quasi-struck my colours. The scroll is still there, only hidden from view. I expected to take enemy fire, but having come under friendly fire, and in PM consultation with Yafet, I think this approach is more desirable and less dangerous, perhaps even less threatening. After reviewing Justin's FAQs, I realize that I am at best a Messianc Gentile, at worst a faux-Hebrew Christian, but certainly not a legitimate Messianic Jew. I do not disagree with that assessment; I'll take my Green Card.

I would like not to be viewed as threatening at all. It seems some see through the unblemished eyes of Yeshua one minute, the blinded eyes of Bias the next. It's a human foible, hopefully one we rise above as we grow spiritually.

To your point:

Communion, you mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, is an example of a 'new tradition' which has deflected the witness of Yeshua.

Not to debate, but may I offer this in reply? Yeshua fulfilled prophecy. We can celebrate the prophecy, or the fulfillment of it, either is valid, is it not?

Did not Rabbi Gamaliel, grandson of Hillel, and one of the greatest of the tannaim, rise and say, "Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God." (Acts 5:38,39)

Using his flawless logic, can we not then say that to fight against certain Christian traditions is to fight against 2,000 years of history and G-d Himself? HaSatan gets into everything G-d made; read Yechezkel 8.

I have found that the answers to petty theories of election and also to most great philosophical questions are not "either, or" but rather "both, and."

I thought that MJs were a rope bridge between both Torah and the Gospels and find that there are pseudo-Palestinians trying to blow up both ends of it. G-d help us.

Upvote 0

Caissie

Mar 26, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟1,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I probably should explain my possition on communion.

I do believe that the Messiah meant us to keep the Passover in remembrance of Him. But if I had a son, and I gave that son instructions to do something, and he missunderstood the instructions but he tried his best to please me...I will be pleased.

I do not attack anyone for trying to please the same G-d, that I am trying to please.

Caissie

Upvote 0

Charlesinflorida

Jan 2, 2004
Florida, US
Visit site
✟753.00
Faith
Messianic
Toney,
To clarify. I think it is Ok to have communion. However I see it as a covenant meal, a time of renewing the covenant made for us by Yeshua, who is like Abraham, our covenental head. To remember the covenant and renew our place in it is fine.

What I am saying about the Passover, is that all the feasts like the passover bear witness to our Jewish brothers of who Messiah is. The believers are the only ones who can punctuate Yeshuas presence in those feasts so that they can be a strong witness from Torah to our Jewish brothers. The Jews are not going to identify Yeshua in them, and will do most everything to blind others to it as well. Therefore, if we take history as a lesson, as long as the believers in Yeshua continued to observe the Sabbath, keep the feasts and tried to live as much as possible in obedience to Torah, the Jews continued to come to faith in growing numbers. When the Church departed from all those things, the Jews after that time, rightfully rejected Yeshua, because the Torah tells them that if anyone tells them that the Torah is ended, or that they should worship another god (Jesus) then they are to reject that person and not believe them. So the strong witness was lost was it not? I believe it was and history shows that, for after this time Jews go one way (forming rabbinical Judaism) and the church goes another, (Forming new doctrines and rituals not founded in Torah) Yet or great commission is to witness first to the Jews.

I am not issuing an enditement against the church for what they have done. That is between them and God. I like to encourage church people to look at what they have left behind, beause it is never too late to begin again. As Caissie said above, how the Passover has been such a powerful witness to them and other family and friends, many throughout christiandom are discovering their roots in Torah. This needs our encouragement. There is the bridge that was destroyed and needs to be rebuilt. I believe that bridge must be built from the church side to Judaism, because it was torn down from the church side long ago. It will not likely happen in a world wide sense. But family by family, congregation by congregation the truth, the light, the blessings will begin laying post and plank to the other side.

Caissie, A blessing to you and your family for the things you are doing, and the light you are sharing with others, that the truth might be known, that the center wall of separation was torn down so that Adonai could make from two people Jew and Gentile, one new man.

Charles the crazy Messimaniac

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Toney

Watcher
Feb 24, 2004
Kansas
✟9,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Charlesinflorida said:
...So the strong witness was lost was it not? I believe it was and history shows that, for after this time Jews go one way (forming rabbinical Judaism) and the church goes another, (Forming new doctrines and rituals not founded in Torah)..

I am not certain that the ordained time of witness did not end as intended by G-d. I have a real problem with Jews for Jesus and their approach to evangelisation. I also accept Paul's teaching to the Romans that both religions are to coexist. Paul as much as says that that is G-d's plan; Judaism is the tree, Christianity the severed branch.

... beause it is never too late to begin again. As Caissie said above, how the Passover has been such a powerful witness to them and other family and friends, many throughout christiandom are discovering their roots in Torah. This needs our encouragement. There is the bridge that was destroyed and needs to be rebuilt. I believe that bridge must be built from the church side to Judaism, because it was torn down from the church side long ago.

And that is why I am here. I, too, have attended Seder meals and the witness is huge, would that there be more communal celebrations of Passover.

I think we are on the same bridge. There is a certain amount of congnitive dissonance at play, as you well know. There is so much misunderstanding.

Here is a communion phrase, "Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us, therefore let us keep the feast." To be on the rope bridge at all from my side of the canyon is itself testimony to the power of witness.

Thank you for your clarification, Charles.

Shalom

Upvote 0

Charlesinflorida

Jan 2, 2004
Florida, US
Visit site
✟753.00
Faith
Messianic
Toney said:
I am not certain that the ordained time of witness did not end as intended by G-d. I have a real problem with Jews for Jesus and their approach to evangelisation. I also accept Paul's teaching to the Romans that both religions are to coexist. Paul as much as says that that is G-d's plan; Judaism is the tree, Christianity the severed branch.

With all respect Toney, I do not see where Paul is endorcing two separate Religions, or two means of salvation one for Jews and one for Gentiles. What Paul teaches in all of his writings is that Gentiles are, through faith, full fledged members of Israel and part of the covenants God made with Israel. He does not see the need for Gentiles to first become Jews through apostylization (Circumcision) before they can become a part of the Torah community. He expects Gentiles to do this based on their grafting in through faith, and he expects that the Jewish brothers will accept them without circumcision. (In the process of apostylizing a Gentile in conversion was no longer considered a Gentile but instead to be in every way a Jew with full rights in the community of Israel and in taking part in the covenants of promise. Paul says that this was acomplished by faith and not flesh, and the pouring out on the Gentiles of the Ruach was proof of that, for it was done without circumcision first or after.)

Eph 2: [11] Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; [12] That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: [13] But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. [14] For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; [15] Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; [16] And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: [17] And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. [18] For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. [19] Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

We should be very careful to see that the Gentiles are brought into the people of God, Israel, the household of God, and made partakers of all the provisions and the responsibilities of the covenants. The Gentiles are not left out alone to become their own separate religion, and neiher are the Jews who believe pushed out of this household of God, but rather the Gentiles who were far off are brought in to the household of God and made partakers, through their trusting faith in Yeshua the Messiah.

Do you see this? :clap: This is the very heart of the Gospel. And it is repeated in Galatians, and Romans ect. For Paul this meant the fulfillment of the promise of the Kingdom of God, when all the world, including all the Gentiles would be brought in, made welcome, into Gods household through a mighty work of His Messiah.

Upvote 0

Toney

Watcher
Feb 24, 2004
Kansas
✟9,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you and Shalom Charles,

I certainly agree, there is but one means of salvation. That the two religions coexist is a 1,900-year historical fact, regardless of how one interprets Paul. G-d made a huge mistake? Of course not. This was my point in quoting Gamaliel.

God said to Moses, "I will show mercy to whomever I choose; I will have pity on whomever I wish." (Rm 9:15, cross-ref Shemot 33:19) Paul comments that it is not a question of man's willing or doing, but of G-d's mercy. That His salvific plan is comprehensible to both religions is the Good News here, I think.

I do not have the answers. In closing, this doxology is one of my favourites:

"For God has imprisoned all people in their own disobedience so he could have mercy on everyone. Oh, what a wonderful God we have! How great are his riches and wisdom and knowledge! How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and his methods!" (Rm 11:33-35)

Omeyn!

Upvote 0

Toney

Watcher
Feb 24, 2004
Kansas
✟9,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
With apologies to Caissie, I unintentionally steered :topic:

Thank you for your OP. I reviewed your quite impressive work on this subject in GT.

My Lion of Judah Messianic Congregation will celebrate Passover on Friday April 16. Frankly, I wish we would hold it on Tuesday April 6. Maybe one day soon!

Upvote 0

Charlesinflorida

Jan 2, 2004
Florida, US
Visit site
✟753.00
Faith
Messianic
Toney said:
Thank you and Shalom Charles,

I certainly agree, there is but one means of salvation. That the two religions coexist is a 1,900-year historical fact, regardless of how one interprets Paul. G-d made a huge mistake? Of course not. This was my point in quoting Gamaliel.

Omeyn!

Hmmm. Then we should also accept that the actions of the church against Jews is also in God's plan, the expulsions, Pogroms, inquisitions, the holocaust?

I think Adonai also allows men to make their own mistakes and exercise free will even if that takes him in the wrong direction. This seems evident in the letters to the churches in the early chapters of revelation.

Caissie,

Sorry once again or this diversion. Hope that you have found some good information concerning Passover and that you and your family have a blessed time.
CIF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Toney

Watcher
Feb 24, 2004
Kansas
✟9,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Charlesinflorida said:
Hmmm. Then we should also accept that the actions of the church against Jews is also in God's plan, the expulsions, Pogroms, inquisitions, the holocaust?

Yes. But let's not forget exiles, despoilment, invasions and siege, etc. Disobedience extracts a heavy toll, especially if you are chosen, the Apple of God's Eye. I believe I read that somewhere. Let's also not forget that the fate of great empires has been determined by their attitude toward Israel, including the Third Reich, and to tie in the OP, Egypt of the Pharaohs.

Billy Graham once said that if God does not bring some type of judgement upon the United States, He will have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah.

Yes, Charles, I believe our God is the Lord of History. But admittedly I don't understand Him at times. "How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!"

Upvote 0