Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) on Sunday knocked failed Republican Senate hopeful Herschel Walker and blamed former President Trump for backing the “bad candidate.”

“Bad candidates lose. Good candidates have a chance to win. And Herschel Walker was not a good candidate,” Christie, an ABC contributor, said on the network’s “This Week.”
Neither Walker nor incumbent Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock secured more than half the votes on November’s Election Day to win the Georgia seat, but Warnock emerged victorious last week after an intense runoff.

Christie drew attention to Georgia’s Republican governor, Brian Kemp, who won reelection in November and secured some 200,000 more votes than Walker did. Kemp’s presence on the ballot was seen as a boost for Walker, but the Republican didn’t get that advantage during the runoff.

“If you’re Herschel Walker and you don’t win that night, you’re not winning. I mean, Kemp’s endorsement is fine, but it’s the top of the ticket in getting people to stay in that line. … If Herschel Walker doesn’t get 50 that night, he’s not getting it,” Christie said.

I happen to agree with Gov. Christie on this one. I know a lot of people in the GOP have mixed feelings about him. But I can always respect people who are pragmatic enough to know how to win and tell it like it is. I feel the same way about James Carville. While I'm not a member of either Carville or Christie's political parties (though I've voted for both republicans and democrats in the past 10 years at various points), I've always been able to appreciate the "cut through the nonsense and just call balls and strikes" approach they've had to politics.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When do we start blaming the voters for choosing these bad candidates in the primaries? When do we start blaming the party for not having a ranked-choice primary that'll hedge against the possibility of loony spoiler candidates bubbling to the top in a packed field?

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,032.00
Faith
Atheist
I agree that he was a bad candidate, but he still only lost by a handful of votes, which is troubling to me.
Well, he did win by 2.5 points and 95000 votes: Georgia Senate Runoff 2022 Election Results

But, one might have hoped for a landslide. Still, there are those that were, likely as not, voting for their party and not so much the candidate.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
  • Friendly
Reactions: Tinker Grey
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When do we start blaming the voters for choosing these bad candidates in the primaries? When do we start blaming the party for not having a ranked-choice primary that'll hedge against the possibility of loony spoiler candidates bubbling to the top in a packed field?
In some cases, it's tough to blame the voters...

A lot of money floating around during the primary process (which means that some voters probably didn't hear much about some of the other contenders who were less-funded and less-endorsed).

In the case of Walker, many folks weren't aware of the size and scope of of the looniness until after the primaries were over and it was into the generals.

In a few cases, Democrats capitalized on that strategy of amplifying the person they think will be easiest to beat, and then sitting on certain damning information and not letting the cat out of the bag until closer to the general election.

In some cases it's worked, in other cases it's backfired.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Still, there are those that were, likely as not, voting for their party and not so much the candidate.
Yes. People complain about how many people voted for Walker despite him being an incredibly flawed candidate. But that doesn't matter to a very large chunk of people. What matters is that he would be a reliable vote for their policy. They don't need him to be intelligent or have and designs on being a thoughtful or remarkable politician by creating new legislation, etc. Just vote the way they want. That's all that matters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They don't need him to be intelligent or have and designs on being a thoughtful or remarkable politician by creating new legislation, etc. Just vote the way they want. That's all that matters.
His policy idea of disenfranchising everyone born after the early 90s, which I am certain was born out of deep thought and not forgetting that 91 was 31 years ago, won me over. That's a winning position that needs a advocate in the senate.

/s

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
His policy idea of disenfranchising everyone born after the early 90s, which I am certain was born out of deep thought and not forgetting that 91 was 31 years ago, won me over. That's a winning position that needs a advocate in the senate.

/s
Wait what? I didn't hear this.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. People complain about how many people voted for Walker despite him being an incredibly flawed candidate. But that doesn't matter to a very large chunk of people. What matters is that he would be a reliable vote for their policy. They don't need him to be intelligent or have and designs on being a thoughtful or remarkable politician by creating new legislation, etc. Just vote the way they want. That's all that matters.

Replace "their policy" with "their tribe" and I agree. The GOP platform has no policy.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Wait what? I didn't hear this.
Yep

I see no downside to wanting to disenfranchise tens of millions of voters for the person nor party advocating it. Winning idea, needs a man in the senate pushing for it.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep

I see no downside to wanting to disenfranchise tens of millions of voters for the person nor party advocating it. Winning idea, needs a man in the senate pushing for it.

The same 18-22 year olds who are sent to off to "defend our freedom" in foreign lands. What has Walker done for his country?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The same 18-22 year olds who are sent to off to "defend our freedom" in foreign lands. What has Walker done for his country?
There was the implicaiton that they "earned" the right to change the country aka they are likely to vote Republican.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Usually the craziest candidates never get to statewide office. It is less likely that someone like Marjorie Taylor Greene could carry a whole state. Similarly, we have some state legislators in our state who are so off the deep end that I wonder how they managed to fool even the people in their small legislative district. Having lots of campaign money helps of course.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Usually the craziest candidates never get to statewide office. It is less likely that someone like Marjorie Taylor Greene could carry a whole state. Similarly, we have some state legislators in our state who are so off the deep end that I wonder how they managed to fool even the people in their small legislative district. Having lots of campaign money helps of course.
*Laughs in DeSantis*.

Upvote 0