Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
With Taiwan’s January elections giving a different result than mainland China had hoped for, the PRC has introduced a new scheme that has the potential to have disastrous international consequences: the change of routine air traffic control procedure. As a result, there is now passive-aggressive weaponization of civilian air traffic in the contested Taiwan Strait.

Any pilot or air traffic controller would find the Chinese changes concerning. Route M503 is the southbound route air traffic uses to fly to the left or west of the line separating Chinese and Taiwan airspace. M503 also feeds two right turns (W122 and W123) that go to Chinese mainland airports but almost fly over Matsu and Kinmen, two Taiwanese counties only thousands of feet off China’s coast. In a move of political escalation, China has now moved the M503 route right up against the line of separation in the Taiwan Straits.

• Informative
Reactions: linux.poet

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With Taiwan’s January elections giving a different result than mainland China had hoped for, the PRC has introduced a new scheme that has the potential to have disastrous international consequences: the change of routine air traffic control procedure. As a result, there is now passive-aggressive weaponization of civilian air traffic in the contested Taiwan Strait.

Any pilot or air traffic controller would find the Chinese changes concerning. Route M503 is the southbound route air traffic uses to fly to the left or west of the line separating Chinese and Taiwan airspace. M503 also feeds two right turns (W122 and W123) that go to Chinese mainland airports but almost fly over Matsu and Kinmen, two Taiwanese counties only thousands of feet off China’s coast. In a move of political escalation, China has now moved the M503 route right up against the line of separation in the Taiwan Straits.

China is systematic in its intent to take Taiwan back and requires a systematic global response to contain its ambitions. The outcome of the 2024 election appears quite crucial to this as Republican isolationism threatens to end American protection of freedom in the region.

At the end of the day we have to ask whether Taiwanese democracy is worth defending or not. I notice that only 3.9% of the Taiwanese population are Christians, comparable to the numbers in China. So both are pretty much heathen states and this begs the question of the value of a defense of freedom when it is not used to worship God.

Against that are the economic arguments. Taiwan is a hub for advanced chip manufacture and it would be foolish to allow that to fall into Chinese hands. Also the puncturing of the island barrier would be a major strategic issue for American economic and military interests in the Pacific

In short, the reasons to support Taiwan are more of the head than the heart.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,569.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
China is systematic in its intent to take Taiwan back and requires a systematic global response to contain its ambitions. The outcome of the 2024 election appears quite crucial to this as Republican isolationism threatens to end American protection of freedom in the region.

At the end of the day we have to ask whether Taiwanese democracy is worth defending or not. I notice that only 3.9% of the Taiwanese population are Christians, comparable to the numbers in China. So both are pretty much heathen states and this begs the question of the value of a defense of freedom when it is not used to worship God.

Against that are the economic arguments. Taiwan is a hub for advanced chip manufacture and it would be foolish to allow that to fall into Chinese hands. Also the puncturing of the island barrier would be a major strategic issue for American economic and military interests in the Pacific

In short, the reasons to support Taiwan are more of the head than the heart.
I had honestly never imagined someone would come
up with the percent of Christians / whether an idividual
is a chridtian, as a reason whether or not to do the right
thing.

But i guess its so, that as what you call a heathen
( the bible calls me far far worse) I could hope for
no mercy.

Unless theres money in it.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had honestly never imagined someone would come
up with the percent of Christians / whether an idividual
is a chridtian, as a reason whether or not to do the right
thing.

But i guess its so, that as what you call a heathen
( the bible calls me far far worse) I could hope for
no mercy.

Unless theres money in it.

You can defend people whose values you find laughable and whose lifestyles you abhor for hard-headed reasons. This is not just about money but about global political-economic order. Also with Taiwan's chip industry under their control, the Chinese would have a temporary military advantage.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,569.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You can defend people whose values you find laughable and whose lifestyles you abhor for hard-headed reasons. This is not just about money but about global political-economic order. Also with Taiwan's chip industry under their control, the Chinese would have a temporary military advantage.
Thats just another way of saying
"money" and confirms what I thought.

As a non christian I am unworthy of aid.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can defend people whose values you find laughable and whose lifestyles you abhor for hard-headed reasons.
This is from your point of view, Is it right to dictate your values to others? Can we not live peaceably and accept other cultures?
This is not just about money but about global political-economic order.
Who's order?
Also with Taiwan's chip industry under their control, the Chinese would have a temporary military advantage.
And who's fault is that? Where is your country and mine chip manufacturing? We enjoyed cheap stuff for years now we are complaining because we don't have the manufacturing capabilities. I thought it was wrong to sanction China's high-end chips now Taiwan is an issue. I believe for my country to compete because I know with our ingenuity we would beat China hands down.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Jim Campbell

Nov 10, 2023
Hot Springs
✟10,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Taiwan has been planting chip facilities in China, so they both have high hopes of dominance at least in Asia, middle east, Africa, all along the Silk Highway. Taiwan has plans to build facilities in Arizona, and the US is building plus coordinating more with friendlies. There is coming an ideological sorting into "two worlds of CHIP" as someone put it. Taiwan will likely cooperate with China rather than both shoot themselves in their feet. Consider Hong Kong. China gets its way in the region, but has historically depended on the West for chip making equipment, while the US depends on Chinese minerals, while China needs their giant rare earth mineral market to grow world-wide. I think this whole situation is primarily corporate preservation and prosperity more than military chip dominance.

We ought to be praying for the soul of China and their neighbors, where massive salvations are possible. God is able and can do for Taiwan or anywhere else no less than He did with Abraham's plea deal for Sodom in Genesis 18 when God showed He is both just and merciful. Why Abraham stopped interceding for fewer than 10 is limited to guessing. My guess is Abraham just "knew" from being there even just 10 was pushing their friend to friend relationship, daring not to tempt God with absurdity, limiting Lot's hopes for his own family.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,569.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Taiwan has been planting chip facilities in China, so they both have high hopes of dominance at least in Asia, middle east, Africa, all along the Silk Highway. Taiwan has plans to build facilities in Arizona, and the US is building plus coordinating more with friendlies. There is coming an ideological sorting into "two worlds of CHIP" as someone put it. Taiwan will likely cooperate with China rather than both shoot themselves in their feet. Consider Hong Kong. China gets its way in the region, but has historically depended on the West for chip making equipment, while the US depends on Chinese minerals, while China needs their giant rare earth mineral market to grow world-wide. I think this whole situation is primarily corporate preservation and prosperity more than military chip dominance.

We ought to be praying for the soul of China and their neighbors, where massive salvations are possible. God is able and can do for Taiwan or anywhere else no less than He did with Abraham's plea deal for Sodom in Genesis 18 when God showed He is both just and merciful. Why Abraham stopped interceding for fewer than 10 is limited to guessing. My guess is Abraham just "knew" from being there even just 10 was pushing their friend to friend relationship, daring not to tempt God with absurdity, limiting Lot's hopes for his own family.
Taiwan has one chip making facility on the mainland.
It is not cutting edge.

There is a lot of cooperation both sides of strait.

Taiwan certainly considers Hong Kong, with great
attention to broken promises, and increasingly heavy
hand. Reunification under CCP will occur only by
force.

CCP / China is in great economic peril, and starting
a war at this time would have enormous and most grave
consequences.

Economic interdeprndance alone tho is no protection.
Regard the countries of Europe who thought it was, in 1910.

As for converting us to your religion, thats not going to
happen.

Your reference to genesis stories as things
to believe as actual history Is a clue to why
this odd, alien faith that strives against reality
gets little traction here.

Upvote 0