chimps are so like us... what does it mean?

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I
Not true. "Close cousin" is what we call a species that is not the same but is quote close to us. Chimps share 98% of the same DNA with us. They are anatomically and cognitively very similar to us. The differences are one of DEGREE; for example we are both toolmakers, but chimps use stick kits to get termites, we use spaceships to get to the moon. The only real difference is the lack of empathy/morality.
Bird brains like crows are smarter than chimps. http://www.cracked.com/article_19042_6-terrifying-ways-crows-are-way-smarter-than-you-think_p2.html
#3. Tools and Problem Solving
When someone mentions animals using tools, you probably think of chimps using blades of grass to get termites to eat, or maybe that dude with the unibrow who mows the neighbor's lawn -- but birds don't often come to mind. And they totally should: One early test of tool use and intelligence in crows had researchers tying a piece of meat to a string, and then tying that string to a stick. To a one, the crows all stood on the stick, grabbed the string, dragged it up, held it with their foot, and repeated the action until they could reach the meat. We know people right now that would fail that test (some of them are us).

Aesop had a story called "The Crow and the Pitcher," which goes like this: Crow wants some water from a pitcher, but he can't reach it, so he drops rocks into it until the water rises enough for him to get a sip. Now, Aesop is not generally considered a scientifically viable resource, at least not until the stuffy science world finally recognizes the validity of Fableology, but a recent test done on rooks (a small type of crow) showed that he may not have been far off. In the study, rooks were placed in a room containing a small pile of pebbles, then given a worm in a tube with water. And, because all good science is based on dickotry, they made sure the worm floated just out of the crow's reach.

Two of the birds took two attempts to figure out the trick, and the other two got it on the first try. Here's the really mind-blowing part: The birds didn't just figure out a crude behavior through trial and error; they dropped in stones only until the water was high enough to reach the worm, and went for the larger pebbles too, understanding that they would displace more water.

44611.jpg

Which officially makes them smarter than most community college students

But that's nothing compared to the New Caledonian Crow: In another tube-based experiment, some food was placed in a little basket and then placed in a tube just out of reach of a crow named Betty. She and another crow, Abel, had two pieces of wire they could use to get the basket: One hooked, one straight. Abel grabbed the hooked wire and took off, while Betty took the straight piece, bent the wire into a hook and then used it to pull the basket out of the tube. This was not some trick Betty picked up through training. This was the first time she or Abel had ever encountered wire.

44612.jpg

Then she wrapped it in some foil, poured some household chemicals over it and blew open the door.

When scientists attached small cameras to the tails of some New Caledonian crows, they discovered the birds were using sticks to get bugs out of trees. Typical bird stuff, right? Well, they also used stiff leaves and grass to manufacture knives, then used those knives to manufacture other tools. If the crows discovering how to makes shivs somehow doesn't scare you, surely the fact that they have discovered industry is cause to start rolling out the anti-raven zeppelins, right?

And oh god, there's more! NC crows passed yet another test involving hard to reach food. In this one, a crow was placed inside a container with a tiny stick, along with two small cages, one holding a piece of meat just out of reach, and one with a longer stick. The crow wasted no time in grabbing the small stick, using it to extract the long stick, then using the long stick to fish out the meat. Later, scientists locked a crow in a cage with a copy of Myst. Sadly, the game went unbeaten...but only because the crow said it prefers Professor Layton.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Chimps were never human and never will be. Evolution never duplicates a species.

How would we know either of those "facts."
I wasn't aware that we could time travel either way.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I
Bird brains like crows are smarter than chimps.

I never trust such judgment calls. I've seen people evaluate the reasoning
skills for dogs, but clearly get it wrong. They put food under one cup and
not under the other. Then they move the food cup farther away and let
the dog loose. They determined that because the dog stopped to sniff
the empty cup first, that it couldn't reason well.

Wrong. Dogs "know" that their eyes are not perfect, so they use smell as
the primary sense and eyesight as a backup. Not dumb, but smart. Smarter
than the researcher who couldn't figure that out. Likely a cat person.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I never trust such judgment calls. I've seen people evaluate the reasoning
skills for dogs, but clearly get it wrong. They put food under one cup and
not under the other. Then they move the food cup farther away and let
the dog loose. They determined that because the dog stopped to sniff
the empty cup first, that it couldn't reason well.

Wrong. Dogs "know" that their eyes are not perfect, so they use smell as
the primary sense and eyesight as a backup. Not dumb, but smart. Smarter
than the researcher who couldn't figure that out. Likely a cat person.
I think you misunderstood. According to man's judgement call ; crows are smarter than chimps. It's the same using evolutionist own testimony that something hasn't evolved in 2 billion is strong evidence against evolution. That's doesn't mean I agree with evolutionist assumption that it's really 2 billion years old.

I do agree man uses how we see things to explain animal behavior. Evolutionist tries to apply animal behavior ( intelligent) into their tree of life but it fails to fit in a tree-like pattern. Crows seems to go totally against the idea the brain size has something to do with intelligence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Bird brains like crows are smarter than chimps.
I agree that some birds like certain species of crows seem to be pretty darn smart, learning the crosswalk signals and using cars to crack nuts and stuff, and some parrots do more than parrot, but actually do talk. Amazing things in this world.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
How would we know either of those "facts."
I wasn't aware that we could time travel either way.
We don't need to time travel. It's a matter of knowing how evolution works, and understanding that the laws of nature don't change but are constant.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We don't need to time travel. It's a matter of knowing how evolution works, and understanding that the laws of nature don't change but are constant.

HI OH,

But, that isn't true. The laws of nature tell us that water will not stand as a wall. The natural and everlasting law of water is that it seeks level. The laws of nature tell us that there is no way a woman becomes pregnant unless male sperm fertilizes a female egg. You can do it today outside of the uterus, but you still need the basic building blocks of male sperm and female egg to create a viable embryo. We cannot just whip up a human being using iron rods and aluminum foil or dirt and water or any other combination of things. And yet, we have Jesus. An embryo carried to term in the womb of a woman without either. God is in the business of working outside of our natural laws of nature. It is for exactly this reason that Paul warns us against being swayed by arguments based on the natural properties of things.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
HI OH,

But, that isn't true.

Why do you say that when the rest of your post agrees Open Heart is correct. The laws of nature don't change.

The laws of nature tell us that water will not stand as a wall. The natural and everlasting law of water is that it seeks level. The laws of nature tell us that there is no way a woman becomes pregnant unless male sperm fertilizes a female egg. You can do it today outside of the uterus, but you still need the basic building blocks of male sperm and female egg to create a viable embryo. We cannot just whip up a human being using iron rods and aluminum foil or dirt and water or any other combination of things. And yet, we have Jesus. An embryo carried to term in the womb of a woman without either. God is in the business of working outside of our natural laws of nature.

Exactly. When God works a miracle, God has to work outside the laws of nature, because the laws of nature don't change. God made them not to change. That's why we can count on them. So why do you start off by saying OH's statement is not true and then show that it is. None of the things you mentioned can happen naturally. But evolution can and does.

Reactions: Open Heart
Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But evolution can and does.
Since evolution includes the scientist evolution explains absolutely everything including man's belief in evolution which ends up explaining absolutely nothing. It's a dog chasing it's own tail except in the evolutionist case it's spelled tale.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you say that when the rest of your post agrees Open Heart is correct. The laws of nature don't change.

Exactly. When God works a miracle, God has to work outside the laws of nature, because the laws of nature don't change. God made them not to change. That's why we can count on them. So why do you start off by saying OH's statement is not true and then show that it is. None of the things you mentioned can happen naturally. But evolution can and does.

Hi glaudys,

I honestly can't for the life of me see how the rest of my post agrees with OH. Perhaps you should reread it. If you still think that my post agrees with her, then I'm afraid you'll have to hold my hand and show me how you reason that.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Then it should be very easy to identify which laws have caused life to spring from non-life.
Dr. Frankenstein seems to have it down.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Then it should be very easy to identify which laws have caused life to spring from non-life.
Not necessarily, for all we have discovered, the infinite amount we do not know makes what we know seem like a grain of sand on the beach.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Crows seems to go totally against the idea the brain size has something to do with intelligence.

Like I just said, because we see similarities in how they process information....we think that is intelligence.
Perhaps fleas will hold hands and get married by a flea wearing a collar. We'll think they are intelligent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Crows seems to go totally against the idea the brain size has something to do with intelligence.
It's hard to gauge how much quantity of brain cells matter. Crows, chimps, and humans all use tools, but the tools humans use are space ships that take us to the moon. Certainly there is a lot to be said, though, for how intelligence is more of an efficiency model than a quantity model.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On some scales possibly. On some scales, such as visual memory, chimps are smarter than humans.

Horizontal or vertical position for you....what is your choice?

zsl_2027.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0