May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Chicago policeman sues estate of teen he fatally shot

Sun Feb 7, 2016 7:05pm EST A Chicago policeman who fatally shot a 19-year-old college student and accidentally killed a 55-year-old grandmother in the same incident has sued the teenager's estate, blaming him for prompting the shooting and causing the officer emotional distress.

Officer Robert Rialmo filed a countersuit on Friday against the estate of Quintonio LeGrier, a black college student, in state court in Chicago. The complaint accused LeGrier of attacking Rialmo with a baseball bat in late December, forcing him to use his gun to save his own life.

One of the bullets passed through LeGrier's arm and struck his neighbor, Bettie Jones, in the chest in what police have described as an accident.

- Source

That's low. But does he have a case? I doubt it. I think that always knowing where the bullet will go if you miss is a requirement for being legally allowed to carry a gun.

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That's low. But does he have a case? I doubt it. I think that always knowing where the bullet will go if you miss is a requirement for being legally allowed to carry a gun.
There's no way to accurately know exactly where a bullet is going to go after hitting an object. Too many variables.

And in this case, the cop didn't miss. This is a case for body cams. If LeGrier indeed attacked him with a bat, it's a good shot, and Jones' death would be on LeGrier in that case. However, if LeGrier posed no harm, then the deaths are on the cop.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,147.00
Faith
Christian
My guess is his lawyers told him he should have a counter suit.

Ideally, when they suggested it, instead of saying "yeah, sure", what he ought to have said is "What?! Are you kidding me?! No way!"

Not necessarily. If he really was attacked as he claims, and then to top it all off, the attackers family then tried to sue him, I can absolutely understand why he'd counter-sue.

Rialmo's counterclaim came in response to a lawsuit filed by LeGrier's family. Jones' family has also filed a lawsuit against Rialmo over the shooting.

Upvote 0