It's me! Who else could it be...
Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It all stemmed from that Microsoft Table (not tablet) in 2007. They convinced themselves that was the future at a time when they couldn't even put a good OS (Vista) together. Vista failed and so will the touchscreen eventually.

The real way to go is voice control - no keyboard, no mouse and potentially no screen!

Upvote 0
B

boogalaboogala

No, I'm not selling anything. I recently bought a cheap laptop (they cost about double in Mexico as they do in the US) and started reading the Acer Computer forums. I answered a few questions that were posted, and Acer made me a low-level question answerer.

Before buying any computer, before you put down any money, ask yourself "What do I want to use this machine for?" And the second most important question is "Do I want to play high-end games?"

If your answer is "Yes" to question 2, you should buy a desktop. If your answer is "No," I can give you some good free advice.

there are lots of gamer laptops on the market.. what really matters is the fit.. is it going to fit your requirements..
dell has some great gaming laptops..

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello again, after seven years since the last post!

They've arrived in Mexico! Cheap laptops with Windows 10 (Of course they can't be upgraded to 11; that's why they're cheap).

Remembering that laptops in Mexico cost double what they cost in the US, I found a $250 laptop with Windows 10 Pro! Of course, its Celeron chip cannot be upgraded to 11.

And for $400 they had a Dell Inspiron with 12 (Count 'em--12!) gigabytes of RAM. Too bad it had a Windows 8 BIOS chip that can't be upgraded to 11.

Many companies have unused parts that have sat on the shelves for years, and many of them are high-quality. Those parts are being slapped together while the budget laptops are hot. But their obsolete architecture can't accept Windows 11.

Should you buy one? Write down the model number, go home, and look it up. Then decide.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here in Mexico we are seeing a flood of cheap tablets in the stores. Same advice: write down the model number, go home, and look it up on the web. Of course they can't be upgraded to Windows 11--that's why they're cheap. But they might be worth their low price.

AND some folks are forming tech companies, buying obsolete parts from various companies, and slapping cheap computers together. After selling them to stores, the company dissolves. No one to sue, and no one to give you a refund or support. NEVER buy any type of computer from an off-brand company.

Upvote 0

Harold Repass

Oct 6, 2021
Cambridge
✟222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here in Mexico we are seeing a flood of cheap tablets in the stores. Same advice: write down the model number, go home, and look it up on the web. Of course they can't be upgraded to Windows 11--that's why they're cheap. But they might be worth their low price.

AND some folks are forming tech companies, buying obsolete parts from various companies, and slapping cheap computers together. After selling them to stores, the company dissolves. No one to sue, and no one to give you a refund or support. NEVER buy any type of computer from an off-brand company.
Thanks for warning.

Reactions: Vince53
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Temperature is one of the great killers of laptops. Generally, the insides won't be destroyed until you hit 170F, but the parts will wear out faster at any high temperature. Merely placing some small object under the back of your laptop will raise the bottom off your desk, and that will drop the temperature about 10 degrees. You can buy a cooling fan that sits under your laptop--it will blow cooler air over the bottom, lowering the temperature about ten degrees. (Some critics point out that raising the laptop will accomplish just as much.)

With about 1/6 the inside space of a desktop, a laptop has to struggle to stay cool. Its one exhaust fan is smaller than the exhaust fans on a desktop. Its vents are smaller, and it has less surface area to radiate heat. Start playing high tech games, and you're heading for even more trouble.

But cheap laptops have an advantage over powerful ones. Their CPU (the computer chip) runs at a much lower temperature. With proper care, a cheap laptop can actually last you more than eight years.

True and I would say that in general laptops with larger screens would also last longer since the size of the base is the same size as the screen so larger screen means more cooling area for the components inside.

Reactions: Vince53
Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Big news from Microsoft today!

Early in 2022 they will be releasing a budget laptop with Windows 11 SE (Second Edition). Costing about $260 US and equipped with a Celeron chip, it is specifically designed for schools and has special programs to help teachers keep the class together.

After years of small success in getting out of schools, Chromebooks may finally be facing some real competition in the budget laptop market.

Upvote 0