Oct 31, 2012
✟1,398,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Wouldnt ones profile page or private messaging but for that?

You know what I wish you guys brought back was the ability to click on a posters post and add something they alone could see, remember that? A hidden side box. I loved that because it provided a way to give someone additional information without involving yourself any further on the thread. That was one of the best features of any board I have seen. Why did they remove that?
Are you talking about reputation?

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you talking about reputation?

I dont think so because you could like someones post openly back then (and dislike it to for a time). It was a button on someones post at the upper side of the post) you would click it and pop up box would appear where you could write a text message in it without having to leave the page or close anything out to do it. It was fast and convenient and often elliminated the need to write a PM.

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,398,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I dont think so because you could like someones post openly back then (and dislike it to for a time). It was a button on someones post at the upper side of the post) you would click it and pop up box would appear where you could write a text message in it without having to leave the page or close anything out to do it. It was fast and convenient and often elliminated the need to write a PM.
Like a quick conversation or like a IM?

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like a quick conversation or like a IM?
Similar to that, you can probably as anyone who was here back then. Just a three inch wide box (maybe 1 inch high) with a band you can write text in and click submit, it was instant and private.

Not sure about how private it was, I would think the staff could see what was communicated if someone abused it, because there were those who would conceal their malice using it because it wasnt like you could forward it to a moderator like you could a PM. So I would have thought they could monitor that sort of thing.

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,398,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Similar to that, you can probably as anyone who was here back then. Just a three inch wide box (maybe 1 inch high) with a band you can write text in and click submit, it was instant and private.

Not sure about how private it was, I would think the staff could see what was communicated if someone abused it, because there were those who would conceal their malice using it because it wasnt like you could forward it to a moderator like you could a PM. So I would have thought they could monitor that sort of thing.
I would presume it used to be somewhat close to the reputation feature.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would presume it used to be somewhat close to the reputation feature.

If I remember correctly, as I recall it the feature was located up at the top right hand side of a persons post. So right up there with the bookmark, and number of the persons post and the "share this post" feature. It also opened up the same way the "share this post" feature does and was about the same size now that I think about it. Only instead of the address of a particular post being written inside of it (in order to share it) it was blank (so you could write a couple of sentences) and submit it to the poster alone.

This was linked directly to a poster who could open these up and read a quick note discreetly without leaving the thread.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I might use it again actually. It's similar to talking to strangers on the Underground, it can get rather interesting.
Wait, you have the tube, the London Underground? If only we had that type of infrastructure in the Midwestern US. :) Less car dependency for the win. Woo, yeah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
Wait, you have the tube, the London Underground? If only we had that type of infrastructure in the Midwestern US. :) Less car dependency for the win. Woo, yeah.

I vaguely remember using the DART system in Dallas a few years ago, but it's certainly not as extensive as the London Underground. If anything, we've overworked it. The distance between Aldgate and Aldgate East is literally pathetic.

If you were to walk up the stairs of Aldgate to street level, you'd see the sign for Aldgate East less than 200 yards in front of you. Some of the stations are that close.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I vaguely remember using the DART system in Dallas a few years ago, but it's certainly not as extensive as the London Underground. If anything, we've overworked it. The distance between Aldgate and Aldgate East is literally pathetic.

If you were to walk up the stairs of Aldgate to street level, you'd see the sign for Aldgate East less than 200 yards in front of you. Some of the stations are that close.
I actually haven't been to Dallas, as I reside in WI. No way, the subway stations are that close in the UK? 200 meters (yards) is walking distance. Yet, here in the US, you have bus stops that are miles apart sometimes, and many large cities that lack adequate public transport.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I might use it again actually. It's similar to talking to strangers on the Underground, it can get rather interesting.
Talking to strangers is interesting - London Underground isn't!

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Talking to strangers is interesting - London Underground isn't!
Yeah, I have heard it can get crowded there, and people rush a lot. Most people probably don't have time to talk anymore on public transportation, plus with a lot of creeps nowadays, I wouldn't want to talk to anyone on a subway either, unless they are near my age.

Upvote 0

Aquila Super Tomcat

⚡ Soaring Free ⚡
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2022
South Africa
✟280,304.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
PM me so we can talk more about this.

Try now with the gear icon.
I've just checked, and the gear icon is there now. I've given it a try, and Chat is disabled! :grinning::oldthumbsup:

Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good morning,

By now, many of you have noticed the Chatbox has been moved to the main page, after years of being on its own page. For those who were around when CF was on vBulletin, the Chatbox was always at the top of the main page, but after moving to XenForo was put on its own page and not always used. The Chatbox has been moved back to its original place to be used more in the interest of light chat only, but not to take away from the forums.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask here, and if you have any private feedback, please feel free to PM me. :)
You really can't have a true conversation to say nothing of explaining core issues and beliefs, it is a constant eye candy like some of those cellphone apps.... Not really appropriate for a Christian site...

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,398,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You really can't have a true conversation to say nothing of explaining core issues and beliefs, it is a constant eye candy like some of those cellphone apps.... Not really appropriate for a Christian site...
Elaborate on what you mean.

Upvote 0

-=H=-

Dec 7, 2020
Middle of Nowhere
✟28,947.00
Country
Monaco
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Good morning,

By now, many of you have noticed the Chatbox has been moved to the main page, after years of being on its own page. For those who were around when CF was on vBulletin, the Chatbox was always at the top of the main page, but after moving to XenForo was put on its own page and not always used. The Chatbox has been moved back to its original place to be used more in the interest of light chat only, but not to take away from the forums.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask here, and if you have any private feedback, please feel free to PM me. :)
This is awesome! Thank you for bringing it back to the front page! Can't believe it's been about 20 years...

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,398,121.00
Country
United States
Faith