Chapter 2 : Can Parabola's Talk? (from now on i will add to this one for new chapters

cassie121

So Lutheran, I laugh at Lutheran jokes.
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2006
ohio
✟58,145.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
James started to sweat. He thought about everything that he had ever said or done in that class. He couldn't think of any reason he would be in trouble. He hadn't said anything gross or swore or even was late to class. He approached Mr.Jackson's desk with great caution.

"James, am I correct in thinking you couldn't read the test?" asked Mr. Jackson

James took a sigh of relief. He wasn't in trouble in fact this might make mr. Jackson happy. I mean he had read the test just fine after all.

"No sir! I read all of it! I even knew all the words!" james announces proudly

The last few students still in the room snicker and leave before they could get in trouble for laughing.

"Than why did you do so poorly? You answered only 9 out of 50 questions correctly. I would of expected you to get atleast 20 correct."

James stands there stunned. He looked around unsure if this was Mr.Jackson's way of making fun of him to get him to do better.

"James, maybe you should go back to the special education room. Maybe your just not ready for this yet. I mean what with your Torrete's Syndrome and Dyslexia...." suggested Mr. Jackson

"What? No I don't want to go back there. I'll just end up getting beat up. That's why that kid last year stuffed me in a locker and left me there all day! Everyone thinks special ed kids are losers. I don't want to be a loser. I really really don't" mumbled James

Mr. Jackson looks down. He couldn't look at James . What was he suppose to do? He couldn't force James into something h really didn't want to do, but than again he would just be a easy target for the less sympathetic students.

"Well why don't I have a conversation with your mother and Mrs. L? We can figure out what to do than. Maybe you can retake the test in a less distractive enviroment" offered Mr. Jackson

He takes a pen and writes a note. He hands it to James. James scurries out hoping to get to his next class on time.

On his way James read the note.

Dear. Mrs Frankin,

James performed very poorly on the evaluation test. I'm not sure this class is right for James. I think we best hold a early IEP meeting for James. Perhaps he needs to stay in special ed a bit longer. Also James has homework tonight if he can't do it, it's ok i'll just not count it as an assignment for him.

Sincerly,

Mr S. Jackson

"IEP meeting?!" James thinks to himself. Remembering how much he dislikes IEP meetings. There in a small cold room. His parents , the princepal, guidence conseler, special teacher, the Occupational therapist , Speech therapist and some of his other teachers are there. They talk about what James does well and what he needs help in and how they were going to help him. Than they ask James what he thinks. James hates talking when alot of grown ups are around but this is much worse. These adults could make his life as easy or hard as they like and he knew it.

Lessien

It's what I do that defines me
Nov 14, 2004
You never know....
✟31,090.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
OK....just a bit of advice.

First of all, you switch tenses quite often, going from past tense (James walked into the room) to present (The teacher writes a note). That is very confusing and detracts from the story. The story itself seems good, but you need to pay attention to those little things so that people will read the story and not get thrown off by those little things.

And whose point of view is chapter being told from? Mr. Jackson's or James's? If it's being told from James's point of view, then we shouldn't be able to know Mr. Jackson's thoughts and feelings.

Upvote 0

cassie121

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2006
ohio
✟58,145.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
CHapeter 1 : Can Parabola's talk?

As the small, tan, dark haired boy walked into the classroom he could hardly keep quiet. He was as excited as he had been since he got the video game he had wanted for christmas for an entire year . He looked around.
He thinks to himself "woah what a hudge class there must be twenty kids in the room and the bell hadn't even rung yet"
In his old class at the most there was 8 or 9 students. Certainly all these kids couldn't be in one class? he thought. He looks around and realizes that everyone's looking at him. He looks down.
"phew my fly's up..." he thought to himself.
He sits down and overhears the other kids.
" Why's he in here? Am I in the right class? This is normal math right? Not one of them special classes?"
The bell rings and everyone takes there seats. The tall, sturdy looking teacher walks to the front of the class. He glars at every single student but looks with a sense of pity toward the small boy named James.
"Hello my name is Mr.Jackson not Mr.J not Jackson not Mr.Jack not Jackeroonie , Mr.Jackson. This is ninth grade algebra. This is a high school class and should be treated as such. I do not under any circumstance take any misbehavior in my classroom. We will start with a test to see how much you know."
As he passes out the tests he wispers to Jack quietly " James why don't you sit next to my desk or would you rather me read you the test in the hall? Maybe I should have to take the test later in a room without as many distractions..."
" Don't worry Mr. Jackson , I'll just sit next to your desk. I'll do the best I can that's what Mrs. L my old teacher told me to do. Well and to try and keep my pencils on my desk instead of flying across the room"
"Oh um very well than. If you need anything defined please let me know.." replied Mr. Jackson with some uncertainty.
James started the test. He read it carefully but didn't understand. He could figure out what it said but it made no sense. What was a unknown number? How could a number be unknown? He knew numbers went on forever. It was call Fidity or something like that. Mrs. L explained it to him once. He did all the he could and made a few guesses than he slowly walked towards Mr.Jackson's desk to turn in his test.
The next day he sat next to Mr. Jackson's desk again. Mr. Jackson started passing back the tests. He look at his. "Where's the grade? Shouldn't there be a letter or number or something?" He kept reading than saw "See me after class"

Upvote 0

cassie121

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2006
ohio
✟58,145.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Chapter 3 : Can Parabola's talk?

The rest of the day passed as slowly as a hot summer day with nothing to do. James was sweating so much people kept asking him if he had just come from gym. Finally the end of the day came and James sauntered up the steps on the bus.

James sat alone. He always did. He wasn't sure why no one ever sat by him but it's just how it was. Than oddly enough another guy who looked a little bit older than James sat next to him.

"Hi, I'm Ryan what's your name?" asked a mammath kinda scary looking guy

"oh I'm James"

"James? what kid goes by James? I outta give you a nickname" joked Ryan

"whatever" mumbled James

"I know your kinda puny. I bet your one of them real fast kids. I'm gonna call you squirral. You look kinda squirrly." teased Ryan

"It's cus of my medicine. Keeps you from growing." said james defensively

"Ah don't worry. I'm just saying. I get teased about my size too. Heck when I go shopping I even have to go to the Big & Tall store. I wish I was squirrly instead of a giant. Be nice not to stand out so much. You know?" said Ryan as if he was just shooting the breeze with an old friend.

"Ya, I know what you mean." answered James

Ryan took a good look at James. He noticed that James was holdin a note in his hand.

"You got a girl or did you get it from a teacher?" questioned Ryan

"Huh?" replied James

"The note. Not many guys pass notes unless it's from their girl. And I figured you gotta have enough sense not to be passing notes to a girl that ain't yours. I mean at your size never know . You might end up passing a note to some girl who belongs to a guy bigger than me." reasoned Ryan

"Oh, it's from a teacher " answered James

"Whatcha do squirrel? I mean it's only the first day. How much trouble could you of caused?" asked Ryan kinda humored

"Oh I did bad on some test. He wants to have an IEP meeting" explained James.

"That sucks. IEP meeting always suck. Wait why are you on an IEP? Cus you don't look like you got anything wrong with ya?" asked Ryan

"Oh I got torrets and dyslexia, I'm not real sure what that means but I know I ain't that smart and I got these twitches. " replied James

"Oh, ok. See me I'm actually pretty smart but I got this thing. It's weird. I ....I got to do these things. I just gotta. They call it OCD. It stands for Obsessive Compulive Disorder. " stammered Ryan in a wisper

"Oh it's ok. We all got problems. The only difference is that the school likes to put it's nose into ours cus we supposably are weird or whatever. It's kinda stupid." replied James

"You know what squirral I think your pretty smart. But I got to go this is my stop. Talk to you some other time. In fact why don't you swing by my house tonight it's that white one right there" hurried Ryan as he was getting out of his seat and off the bus

As the bus pulled up to James's stop he felt so excited. He wanted to shout . He just couldn't wait to tell his mom about Ryan but than he remembered. The note. His mom would never let him go to Ryans if she found out. James walked inside . He sat down and noticed his mom wasn't back from work yet. He decided he'd do his homework and chroes right then so when she got home she'd be pleased with him.

Reactions: puttytat190
Upvote 0

cassie121

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2006
ohio
✟58,145.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A few minutes later Jame's mom walked in the door.
"Hey hun, how was school?"
"Ok... I uh got a not from my algebra teacher"
"Oh? You weren't acting up were you?"

James decided not to answer instead he just handed her the note. His mom sighed and shook her head. She read the note again just making sure she hadn't misreadit. After all you never know . These things tend to run in families.

"James honey , what was the problem with the test?"

"I don't know. I had no idea what I was suppose to do. It had all these weird symbols and stuff. It mad no sense. I mean how can a number be unknown? If it was unknown no one would know about it so how could there be problems about it?"

"James honey, a unknown number just means your not sure what number it is. Like if i said 2+ an unknown number = 5 the unknown number would be 3. Well I guess we're just going to have to work on this algebra together and talk to Mr.Jackson. Maybe we'll get you a tutor"

"Ok mom. That sounds good. Hey I made a new friend at school today. His name's Ryan"

"Really?" asked his mom with a smile on her face

"Ya, he lives real close can I go hang out with him?"

"Sure. Is he in the resource room the same time you are?" she asked with curiosity

"No, he's smart. I don't think he's in the resource room at all." reasoned james

"Really? well that's great boo why don't you call first. I'll look up the number in the phone book"

James was heading towards Ryan a few minutes later on his new red mountain bike. It had 24 speeds and silver strips on the frame. He had gotten it for his birthday a few weeks ago.

He rapped on the door. Than a hudge burley man with a mustache ansered.

"Um hello..Are you a friend of Ryan?" asked the man with some confusion as to who this was.

"Yes sir. I'm James. Can Ryan come out?" asked James with a tremble in his voice

"Well I suppose so but he needs to finish taking his medicine first. Come in I'll tell him your here"

medicine? Why woud Ryan be on medicine? He didn't look sick. He sure didn't seem stupid on the bus so he couldn't be on medicine like Ryan was. What was going on?

Upvote 0