Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To go to the original thread, please click on this - ANNOUNCEMENT

New Statement of Faith at Christian Forums
Christian Forums has changed our Statement of Faith to the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed. The Nicene Creed has a long history of being the normative Statement of Faith for CF and after much deliberation we feel it is in the best interest of the site to return to the oldest, and most widely used, profession of faith in Christianity.

I'm sure that there will be many questions which I'll try to address in a separate post (and I'm sure that there are a bunch that have not even crossed my mind so feel free to ask).

Christian Forums will be using the version of the Creed developed at the second Ecumenical Council held in 381AD in the city of Constantinople.

This is in effect immediately (as it is already published in the site's FAQ).

The Nicene Creed

We believe in (Romans 10: 8-10; 1 John 4: 15)
ONE God, (Deuteronomy 6: 4, Ephesians 4: 6)
Father (Matthew 6: 9)
Almighty, (Exodus 6: 3)
Maker of Heaven and Earth, (Genesis 1: 1)
and of all things visible and invisible. (Colossians 1: 15-16)

And in ONE Lord Jesus Christ, (Acts 11: 17)
Son of God, (Mathew 14: 33; 16: 16)
Only-Begotten, (John 1: 18; 3: 16)
Begotten of the Father before all ages. (John 1: 2)
Light from Light; (Psalm 27: 1; John 8: 12; Matthew 17: 2,5)
True God from True God; (John 17: 1-5)
Begotten, not made; (John 1: 18)
of one essence with the Father (John 10: 30)
through whom all things were made; (Hebrews 1: 1-2)
Who for us men and for our salvation (1 Timothy 2: 4-5)
came down from heaven, (John 6: 33,35)
and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary (Luke 1: 35)
and became man. (John 1: 14)
And He was crucified for us (Mark 15: 25; 1 Corinthians 15: 3)
under Pontius Pilate, (John 19: 6)
suffered, (Mark 8: 31)
and was buried. (Luke 23: 53; 1 Corinthians 15: 4)
And on the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures, (Luke 24: 1 1 Corinthians 15: 4)
and ascended into heaven, (Luke 24: 51; Acts 1: 10)
and sits at the right hand of the Father; (Mark 16: 19; Acts 7: 55)
and He shall come again with glory (Matthew 24: 27)
to judge the living and the dead; (Acts 10: 42; 2 Timothy 4: 1)
Whose Kingdom shall have no end. (2 Peter 1: 11)

And in the Holy Spirit, (John 14: 26)
Lord, (Acts 5: 3-4)
Giver of Life, (Genesis 1: 2)
Who proceeds from the Father; (John 15: 26)
Who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; (Matthew 3: 16-17)
Who spoke through the prophets. (1 Samuel 19: 20; Ezekiel 11: 5,13)

In one, (Matthew 16: 18)
holy, (1 Peter 2: 5,9)
catholic*, (Mark 16: 15)
and apostolic Church. (Acts 2: 42; Ephesians 2: 19-22)

I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins**. (Ephesians 4: 5; Acts 2: 38)
I look for the resurrection of the dead, (John 11: 24; 1 Corinthians 15: 12-49; Hebrews 6: 2; Revelation 20: 5)
and the life in the age to come. (Mark 10: 29-30)

AMEN. (Psalm 106: 48)

*The word "catholic" (literally, "complete," "universal," or "according to the whole") refers to the complete, universal church of the Lord Jesus Christ and not exclusively to any particular visible denomination or doctrine.

**May be interpreted as baptism is a matter of obedience and not a requirement for salvation or as a regenerating ordinance.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoabAnias

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
*The word "catholic" (literally, "complete," "universal," or "according to the whole") refers to the complete, universal church of the Lord Jesus Christ and not exclusively to any particular visible denomination or doctrine.

No, it doesn't. I don't mean to be a stickler here, but this is defining the word catholic against both it's intent, and against the understandings of the the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox churches. They really need to change the wording and say something like "For the purpose of this website, the word catholic, may be considered as referring to [as stated] or to a particular Church.".

Um, apart from that, I don't like requiring people to believe anything to post somewhere. It's too restrictive and cuts out too many interesting people.

Yes, I managed to disagree with this from both the right *and* the left. :) I am very multifaceted in my crumudgeoniness. ;)

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Catholics aren't expected to ascend to the bullets.

In practice, yeah, I am sure Catholics won't be, but I still think the wording of the first bullet should be changed to reflect that. Technically speaking, as written, it isn't something most Catholics could assent to. The second bullet uses phrasing like "may refer to" that gives Catholics an out to interpret it more traditionally. It'd be nice if they made similar alterations to the first one....

Or just ditched the whole thing. I hate the idea of people having to assent to any statement of faith just to post to an Internet message forum. I'd love it if everyone were welcome to talk and we could move that kind of thing. It's fine to ask for assent to a statement of faith to join a church, but this place isn't a church, it's just a bunch of people talking.

Last edited:
Reactions: scraparcs
Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To go to the original thread, please click on this - ANNOUNCEMENT

This thread was meant to be informational and not to open up a discussion on this new change. I'm sorry for any misunderstandings that may have occurred due to leaving this thread open.

If you have more comments, please click on the link in the OP. That will take you directly to the original announcement thread and I'm sure that the advisors would appreciate any of your feedback.

Thank you and God bless you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, it doesn't. I don't mean to be a stickler here, but this is defining the word catholic against both it's intent, and against the understandings of the the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox churches. They really need to change the wording and say something like "For the purpose of this website, the word catholic, may be considered as referring to [as stated] or to a particular Church.".

Um, apart from that, I don't like requiring people to believe anything to post somewhere. It's too restrictive and cuts out too many interesting people.

Yes, I managed to disagree with this from both the right *and* the left. :) I am very multifaceted in my crumudgeoniness. ;)

It has been changed to the following...I trust everyone will stop with the quibbles, now...

*The word "catholic" (literally, "complete," "universal," or "according to the whole") refers to the universal church of the Lord Jesus Christ and not necessarily or exclusively to any particular visible denomination, institution, or doctrine.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.