Norton's Empire
✟58,184.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The main announcement thread on the upgrade has gotten long, and people are having trouble finding answers to their questions. So, I'm starting this thread to give folks a place for Q&A ONLY, as well as pulling together some of the useful info in other threads.

Non-Q&A posts will be moved out of this thread, so be forewarned.

The next couple of posts contain useful information, and may answer some of your questions on their own.

The original announcement of the CF2 Upgrade are here:

Members and Staff,

Welcome to CF2.

There are a lot of changes, and it would be unlikely that everything could be covered in a single announcement.

The first thing you'll probably notice is we have a new style. The second being there is a new forum structure. This was done in an attempt at making things a bit easier to navigate. There are a lot of forums on CF, and it can be somewhat intimidating for new members.

Some of the forums are marked as "For Christians." These are forums specifically for Christian fellowship and discussion. Theology (with the exception of Unorthodox Theology), Edification, Ministry, and Teens are currently marked as "For Christians."

The Debate category has also been rearranged. Politics, Ethics/Morality, and Philosophy have been moved to the Society category; Creation vs. Evolution has been moved as a sub-forum of Physical & Life Sciences. General Apologetics and Non-Christian Religion have been moved to the Outreach category.

There will be a new moderation protocol, released shortly. Reports will be closed, but new features installed that allow members to keep track of the status of their reports, as well as mod actions taken against their posts and threads.

There are several new features, some of which are incompatible with old features. The Character items and Pets can be transferred over to the new engine, but everyone is going to have to reacquire their items. For the first month, all pets and characters will be free, so as to allow everyone to rebuild their items.

Chrisbot, unfortunately, was not compatible with the upgrade.

There are a lot of new features, too numerous to go into much depth about them all here. These are a few:

An updated chatbox engine;
"Thank You" notes;
New smilies (in addition to current smileys);
Updated home page profiles;
Extended reputation display;
Photo albums;
Image icons and reorganization of UserCP;
New ranking system (members with the most posts, the most activity, etc);
New pets and character items (in addition to current pets and character items);
Upgraded blogs;
An information portal and site-map (to help with site navigation);
Ability to "tag" a thread, and use thread prefixes;
Drafts (so that you may save a draft post and later return to it).

Some of these are installed already; some will be installed over the next few days. Please report any bugs (in the Report Bugs forum) you come across so the techs have a chance to fix them

If you have questions or need help with something specific, you can contact these staff members and they can help:

Ravenscape and LibertyChic, for questions about the Armory and Character items.
CelticGrace, for questions about the Pets and the new P3TZ engine.
Angeldove97, for questions about the new blogs, photo album, gallery, etc.

--

This thread is a continuation of the original, which is found here.

ravenscape

Free Crazy Liz
Dec 19, 2004
Norton's Empire
✟58,184.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't think I've seen this discussed before.

What are social groups for? (Other than to have a name of a group that basically lists your interests on your profile page.)

Is there a way to get new messages posted to social group to show up in your UserCP, or be notified of them in some other way?

It seems difficult to keep up with group activity the way it is set up now, especially if you belong to a lot of groups and need to visit each one individually to see if anything new is going on.

Thanks for starting this thread, Raven.

Upvote 0

ravenscape

Free Crazy Liz
Dec 19, 2004
Norton's Empire
✟58,184.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think I've seen this discussed before.

What are social groups for? (Other than to have a name of a group that basically lists your interests on your profile page.)

Is there a way to get new messages posted to social group to show up in your UserCP, or be notified of them in some other way?

It seems difficult to keep up with group activity the way it is set up now, especially if you belong to a lot of groups and need to visit each one individually to see if anything new is going on.

Thanks for starting this thread, Raven.
The short answer is that they're for fun, and for people with special interests to find each other on this huge site. I don't think they've been completely configured yet, and I'm not sure if it will be possible to get notification of new posts in a social group thread. I'll try to find out for sure. It would be nice to get a notification. I started a group on one site and forgot all about it. Noticed it 3 weeks later and a bunch of people had joined.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ravenscape

Free Crazy Liz
Dec 19, 2004
Norton's Empire
✟58,184.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, so it's either an avatar or character?

L
Right now it is. I'd like to see that change, but it's a technical issue with the Living Avatar application. Some people are choosing to put their avatar images in their signature.

Upvote 0

nexialys

Grumpy Engy!
Feb 20, 2008
about 18 inches from my monitor!
✟15,538.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Notification about WHAT are the Groups...

basically, the system is actually not complete. remember http://groups.yahoo.com ... when the system will be up, it will be exactly that. Site Subscribers will be able to have their own forum based on their group, they will be identified as is, and the members of these groups will be able to chat privately if needed--- because yes, you may even be able to have your own little forum on CF.com

did i trashed a scoop ?!

DOH!

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Notification about WHAT are the Groups...

basically, the system is actually not complete. remember http://groups.yahoo.com ... when the system will be up, it will be exactly that. Site Subscribers will be able to have their own forum based on their group, they will be identified as is, and the members of these groups will be able to chat privately if needed--- because yes, you may even be able to have your own little forum on CF.com

did i trashed a scoop ?!

DOH!

If it's going to be like Yahoo Groups, there will be a lot of capabilities. That should be good.

Thank you both for replying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ravenscape

Free Crazy Liz
Dec 19, 2004
Norton's Empire
✟58,184.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
ETA on reps working properly?
I haven't seen an ETA yet. The blessings bugs were front burner there for a while, though. Hopefully reps are near the top of the "to do" list. I know the ability to neg rep was completely removed last night.

Upvote 0

ravenscape

Free Crazy Liz
Dec 19, 2004
Norton's Empire
✟58,184.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Will we be getting our icons back? (angels, party affilication, male/female, etc)
Most of the icons will come back, from what I've read. But, many of them won't be displayed in our posts now. They'll be in our profiles.

Upvote 0

Lindon Tinuviel

Nov 19, 2002
Not there anymore
✟4,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0