Aug 23, 2007
✟784,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have a question about the churches within the Restoration Movement. Is it imperative that everyone, as a member of one of these churches, believe that the gifts have ceased? Is it a salvation issue? I am so close to the CoC in my beliefs, but I am not entirely convinced that all gifts have ceased.

I could also ask the same about premillennialism. I do not believe in pre-trib rapture (I'm more convinced it's post-trib) but premillennialism is convincing to me, but it appears as if the CoC views this as heresy. Is this a salvation issue too?

Anyway I'm not here to debate anything, just to ask. I'm not a member of any Charismatic church, never have been, just to make myself clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tayla

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have a question about the churches within the Restoration Movement. Is it imperative that everyone, as a member of one of these churches, believe that the gifts have ceased? Is it a salvation issue? I am so close to the CoC in my beliefs, but I am not entirely convinced that all gifts have ceased.

I could also ask the same about premillennialism. I do not believe in pre-trib rapture (I'm more convinced it's post-trib) but premillennialism is convincing to me, but it appears as of the CoC views this as heresy. Is this a salvation issue too?

Anyway I'm not here to debate anything, just to ask. I'm not a member of any Charismatic church, never have been, just to make myself clear.

I was a member of a restoration church for 10 years and we did not believe that the gifts had ceased. Far from it, we encouraged everyone to be involved in ministering through the gifts of the Spirit.

I have recently read about 10 books on the rapture and it seems that the pre-trib rapture is the most likely one and backed up by scripture.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I was a member of a restoration church for 10 years and we did not believe that the gifts had ceased. Far from it, we encouraged everyone to be involved in ministering through the gifts of the Spirit.

I have recently read about 10 books on the rapture and it seems that the pre-trib rapture is the most likely one and backed up by scripture.
Thank you for replying :) My thread had so many views but no answer, until yours lol. Anyway. Was your church a Church of Christ, a Christian Church, or something different?

I am open to the notion of a pre-trib though, but right now I haven't come to that conclusion.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Neither one of your questions will determine your Salvation

They both fall into the category of personal belief, I personally would steer clear of any group which would consider either belief to be a Salvation issue.
I'm glad to hear that. I've been looking into the CoC (well, online sources lol) and so far I've never heard anyone say what either of you said. They've been cessationists and amillennialists.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad to hear that. I've been looking into the CoC (well, online sources lol) and so far I've never heard anyone say what either of you said. They've been cessationists and amillennialists.

Your Salvation is based in Christ and what He did for you and all of mankind, not in the doctrinal beliefs of any given Denomination.

In the book of Mark, Jesus said.

Mar 16:16
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Notice there aren't any addendums in that statement by Jesus, belief in Him, and them Baptism.....Period

Anyone who tells you anything different is a jerk.

Be Blessed in Christ.

• Useful
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I should say that I'm not accusing the restoration churches of proclaiming these issues as salvational. I was just asking if they viewed detractors from amillennial/cessationists stances as heretics (and hence in danger of not being saved).

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I should say that I'm not accusing the restoration churches of proclaiming these issues as salvational. I was just asking if they viewed detractors from amillennial/cessationists stances as heretics (and hence in danger of not being saved).

...since the Restoration Churches (i.e. those extended from the Campbell's and their associates) are mainly independent entities, the extent to which someone like myself will be called a heretic will depend on just how staunch the views are of a particular pastor at a particular Church of Christ or Christian Church. ;)

Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thank you for replying :) My thread had so many views but no answer, until yours lol. Anyway. Was your church a Church of Christ, a Christian Church, or something different?

I am open to the notion of a pre-trib though, but right now I haven't come to that conclusion.

It was a charismatic brethren church. As a result of their ministry, churches all over England started up.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Neither one of your questions will determine your Salvation

They both fall into the category of personal belief, I personally would steer clear of any group which would consider either belief to be a Salvation issue.

I was not of the impression that is was a matter for salvation that was being declared.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Your Salvation is based in Christ and what He did for you and all of mankind, not in the doctrinal beliefs of any given Denomination.

In the book of Mark, Jesus said.

Mar 16:16
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Notice there aren't any addendums in that statement by Jesus, belief in Him, and them Baptism.....Period

Anyone who tells you anything different is a jerk.

Be Blessed in Christ.

But how many believe Mark 16?

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

We didn't believe anyone was a detractor. Our approach was this is what we do and believe take it or leave it. We did not try and coerce anyone into anything.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I was not of the impression that is was a matter for salvation that was being declared.

The following is what was written in the OP

I have a question about the churches within the Restoration Movement. Is it imperative that everyone, as a member of one of these churches, believe that the gifts have ceased? Is it a salvation issue?

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
...since the Restoration Churches (i.e. those extended from the Campbell's and their associates) are mainly independent entities, the extent to which someone like myself will be called a heretic will depend on just how staunch the views are of a particular pastor at a particular Church of Christ or Christian Church. ;)

In an article on the Cambell church, it listed the Church of Christ in Australia as a breakaway from it. I live in Australia and there is a CofC just down the road. You would not know it was nay different to any other church in town.

They have the same ritual as most churches do on Sunday morning and the absence of the gifts of the Spirit is as plain as day. I have attended meetings there and the preacher was a woman and what she said was complete rubbish.

And things have moved on since Campbell. In the UK where I lived, several strands of the Restoration movement began in the 1960s. People like Sid Purse, Harry Greenwood, Gerald Coates, Terry Virgo, Michael Harper, David DuPlessis, Roger Forster were some of the people that taught restoration views and started churches all over the country.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure if I stirred up anything I shouldn't have, but the only reason I made this post was that since I've been looking into the CoC and have watched YouTube videos from CoC sources, every single one of them believes in cessationism and amillennialism, and of course they don't say outright that you're a heretic if you don't believe in either, but these views seemed prevalent across the board, which led me to ask. I understand the CoC's 5-point plan of salvation (I think there's 5 steps), and I know the plan doesn't include anything about these two topics. But I still asked how important it was in the CoC to believe these two things. Someone mentioned that CoC's are independent entities and it can depend on the pastor, and I'm led to believe that too.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I was asked by someone what my view was about the rapture and I had to admit I did not know, hence the search for what was the offerings. After many books, I was convinced that a pre-trib was where I was at and if that is not the case, I am not sure that God has a future for me to look forward to.

Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0