Cessationalism and why many Baptists believe so.

busdriver72

Oct 16, 2011
Good ol' Texas!
✟7,889.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If a man speaks prophetically for the Lord, he speaks or is silent. However, what would you say if someone was genuine, having genuinely been baptized in the Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tounges, or a prophet, or having a healing gift?

The short answer is "yes."
If he is in the midst of people of a tongue that he does not by nature know or understand, and yet begins speaking to them the might work of God and God is glorified in the eyes those that he is speaking to...then yes. I personally know of an event where it did happen. He was speaking to a Korean couple...sharing the gospel. The couple understood and accepted Christ...and later to find out the guy doesn't know the Korean language. The couple verified that they heard him in their own tongue.
Being a prophet....hmmm...well...all those running around claiming to be prophets claim all kinds of things. It also depends on what is meant by "prophet." I can prophecy and say disasterous times are coming upon the earth and that Christ is coming back....does that make me a "prophet" even though the same message is also in Scripture? If a "prophets" message lines up with all of Scripture then what makes him a prophet? I predicted the stock market was going to go down....does that make me a prophet? Again, God does not leave Himself without glory or witness...especially in the life of a true prophet...and it will be as obvious and undeniable as a true event of tongues. All of the self-proclaimed "prophets" I have encountered have spoken that which is either very general and generic...or their prophecies have failed. Also, when God raised up prophets it was for a special reason and purpose. I do think that in the latter times God will raise up two prophets as mentioned in Revelation. They will be in Israel...their ministry and works will be obvious...they will die...and then they will rise up. Obvious and undeniable. If it is obvious and undeniable....then...yes.
You don't have to hand out business cards with "prophet" on them if you really are a prophet.
Oh, and with healing....all the healing I know of has come by prayer...not through any one person with the gift. I have never in my 34 years of following Christ ever seen it through a select individual. Again however, if this one claiming the gift of healing walks into an emergency room and heals broken limbs, heals people who are literally dying, and these folks walk out of the emergency room...then yes, I'll believe it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Don't forget that the word of God is a book of Prophecy.
1 Peter 1:19-21 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

So every time someone preaches from the Bible they are prophesying and thus are being a prophet.

Upvote 0

busdriver72

Oct 16, 2011
Good ol' Texas!
✟7,889.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Don't forget that the word of God is a book of Prophecy.
1 Peter 1:19-21 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

So every time someone preaches from the Bible they are prophesying and thus are being a prophet.

Correct. That is why I said it all depends on what you mean when you say "prophecy."

Upvote 0