• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Steve, Celiac is a hard disease to understand and to live with, I know, I have it.

Has your wife been officially diagnosed as Celiac or is it a GF choice to feel better over all?

I had been struggling with it for years and believe it or not it was one of the members here on CF years ago who did have it and talked about it all the time where I finally got my 'diagnosis'. I immediately got off as much gluten as I could and then went to my Doctor and he had a test run but it was inconclusive. But I knew. There are certain 'symptoms' that can be relied upon.

Does she have anyone in the family that has it?

I will write up a bunch of tips later on today for you to share, and I want to say that it's great you are here trying to help her, that's the first major battle a Celiac goes through as family and friends play a big part in this disease.

Upvote 0

Steve97

Dec 26, 2019
none
✟15,944.00
Country
Tajikistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK - SNP
Hi Steve, Celiac is a hard disease to understand and to live with, I know, I have it.

Has your wife been officially diagnosed as Celiac or is it a GF choice to feel better over all?

I had been struggling with it for years and believe it or not it was one of the members here on CF years ago who did have it and talked about it all the time where I finally got my 'diagnosis'. I immediately got off as much gluten as I could and then went to my Doctor and he had a test run but it was inconclusive. But I knew. There are certain 'symptoms' that can be relied upon.

Does she have anyone in the family that has it?

I will write up a bunch of tips later on today for you to share, and I want to say that it's great you are here trying to help her, that's the first major battle a Celiac goes through as family and friends play a big part in this disease.

Thank you for reading and writing. She was diagnosed after having an endoscopy by a physician familiar with gluten intolerance and celiac. There is a big difference. She has Celiac. Not all people with the disorder have all the same symptoms, which makes it difficult to diagnose. She has always had the symptoms and has been mis-diagnosed in the past because celiac was virtually unknown at the time (she is 65). Cross contamination is always an issue and foods labeled "gluten free" are not to trusted. Items labeled "certified" gluten free are safer.
Based on what you said, you may be gluten intolerant but I am not a physician. An endoscopy may be the way to go. Finding a physician may be difficult. Try to do as much research as you can from reputable websites.
No doubt, in retrospect, that her mother probably had it and her older daughter has been diagnosed as well. The disease is inherited.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟314,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The only treatment is full blown gluten free eating, there is no cutting out what you can, you cut it all out.. As she feels better and better from eating truly fully gluten free, then she will get whacked hard if she just gets a little gluten. You have to learn to read labels faithfully. I basically never eat out anymore as well, you can't trust kitchen staff to not taint a dish of food, I've fully learned my lesson on that over the last 8 or so years of dealing with this.

Upvote 0

Steve97

Dec 26, 2019
none
✟15,944.00
Country
Tajikistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK - SNP
The only treatment is full blown gluten free eating, there is no cutting out what you can, you cut it all out.. As she feels better and better from eating truly fully gluten free, then she will get whacked hard if she just gets a little gluten. You have to learn to read labels faithfully. I basically never eat out anymore as well, you can't trust kitchen staff to not taint a dish of food, I've fully learned my lesson on that over the last 8 or so years of dealing with this.

Very true. The less gluten you consume, the stronger your body reacts when you do come in contact with it. My wife is blessed with a local (90 minutes away) restaurant that is 100% gluten free, totally dedicated with no possibility of cross contamination. She was recently diagnosed with with SIBO, which adds a whole new dimension to the problem.

Upvote 0

Steve97

Dec 26, 2019
none
✟15,944.00
Country
Tajikistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK - SNP
Be aware of any medications you may be on as well. Many labs use wheat or similar products as a filler. My wife has to have her scripts filled at a compound pharmacy, more expensive, not covered by insurance but gluten free.

Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My wife is suffering with Celiac disease. We are ell educated on the subject and work together to keep it under control. Any comments, questions or suggestions? Always looking for support or new information. Thank you.
From what I read there may be a normal life expectancy without gluten. Oatmeal is gluten free. Corn meal without wheat flour added may be used to make corn bread. Grits for hot cereal. Beans and lentils are good. I special ordered buckwheat. Some people are sensitive to gluten without symptoms as severe as Celiac disease. I used to eat more rice, but I learned arsenic was found in rice more than other foods.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟314,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Oatmeal should be gluten free but isn't always. Watch out for flavored oatmeal and then too is the possibility of cross contamination anywhere along the chain from harvest to packaging. I've settled on Bob's Redmill gluten free steel cut oats despite my 30 minute cooking process to a killer oatmeal ( killer as in good). I just cook up a weeks worth at a time and keep it in the frig. But too, Quaker makes a gluten free quick oats as well. It comes in those round oatmeal cylinders. It just doesn't compare to the long cook steel cut oats, but most people are pretty used to Quaker Oats.

Same goes for making corn bread, can be cross contaminated. The best cornbread we have made here is from gluten free King Arthur Flour brand cornbread mix. Their brownie mix is awesome too. Their scone mix is pretty decent too. My wife orders that and other flours and such gluten free right from King Arthur. We don't find it in stores here and we haven't been disappointed with any of it. And a must try is their gingerbread mix ( if they still sell it, my wife was trying to order some today actually and ran into a hitch, so emailed them)...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Woonkle

Aug 3, 2019
Midwest
✟15,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I have a severe gluten sensitivity that is very close to being celiac. Gluten causes me to have severe arthritis flares and even a little cross contamination causes contractures ( inflammation paralyzes muscles around the joints).
When you go to restaurants tell the waiters she has celiac to be sure they take it seriously.
A great spaghetti alternative is glass noodles. They are made out of only sweet potato starch so are naturally gluten free. They are not certified gluten free so you may not want to try them, but I have never gotten any arthritis or contractures from them.

Reactions: Steve97
Upvote 0

Woonkle

Aug 3, 2019
Midwest
✟15,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I forgot to say that mustard and ketchup have to list distilled vinegar or apple cider vinegar in the ingredients otherwise the vinegar used has gluten.
In America companies are allowed to list apple cider vinegar as just vinegar, but have to specify for all other types of vinegars.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I discovered late in life that my health problems were because I was eating gluten which was toxic to my system. I now eat mostly grain free with a little gluten free. Most of my family eats gluten free except my husband and i often free contamination but he tends to be careful.

I also offer this cookbook elsewhere here, on the cooking section but i put it here as well. I have recopies for stock, ketchup, and how to make your own spice mixtures (as some have added gluten. Read labels and if in doubt don't buy it. Bob Red Mill has gluten free oats. Also there are numerous gluten free grains, and flours: Amerith, millet, and Quenoa are a few, ground flax and ground nuts can also be used as flour. Be very careful in buying preground nuts and seeds as some are ground in factories that ground wheat and barley.

One last thing, I still learning how to make gluten free breads, all in the cookbook are baking powder and soda breads. Hope these recipes help you out.

Attachments

• Gluten Free Cookbook190704.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
Upvote 0