Celebrity deaths that made you genuinely sad.

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There have been a few for me. I was very sorry to see Charlton Heston go, but the worst one for me was Ray Bradbury, when he died this June. I actually felt a bit of mourning for a few days when he went. I had just started rereading Dandelion Wine, and when I saw it lying on the piano after getting the news I got pretty thoroughly choked up.

So I just found out that jazz composer and pianist Dave Brubeck died today. He was one of my favorites.

I guess that gives me one in each of the major entertainment media. Actors, authors, and composers.

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a short list, I don't celebrate the loss of human life, but those that I genuinely felt effected by.

kurttopofpage.jpg

Kurt

MI0001459585.jpg

DB Darrell

original.0

John Candy

Chris_Farley.jpg

Chris Farley

BTTF-4.jpg

And though he isn't dead(but is missed), Michael J Fox.

Upvote 0

welshman

Mar 5, 2008
Wales
✟23,438.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Gary Speed in November 2011. He was nothing short of worshipped by every Welsh football supporter as a player, captain and manager. Will never forget getting a text from a friend who said that he had hanged himself.

Cardiff were playing Blackburn in the Quarter-Final of the Carling Cup a few days later and there were literally hundreds of Cardiff and Wales tops hanging from the stadium gates. I left mine on there too with a message for his children and wife. My eyes were streaming during the minutes applause before the kick-off. Never felt anything like that for someone whom I had never personally met.

gary speed 1 minute silence cardiff city v blackburn rovers - YouTube

Tears at Gary Speed tribute - YouTube

Attachments

• gary-speed-3.jpg
    gary-speed-3.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 57
Upvote 0

HotRhymez

Patrick Star
Aug 7, 2004
Watching you
✟19,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can't really think of any celebrity death that really saddened me..I mean, death is sad dont get me wrong..but I've never really been that attached to any famous person. I do remember when Steve Irwin died and that made me a little sad because I had just started watching him on TV at the time and he seemed like a really nice person from what I saw..also when George Carlin passed away because I had just started watching him and he was really funny.

Thats all I remember..

Upvote 0

jess9450

Sep 17, 2012
In the land of ice and snow
✟10,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Heath Ledger.
Michael Jackson.

Both were extremely talented.

Leslie Nielsen. I use to laugh so hard watching the Naked Gun movies when I was a kid.
Also Heath Ledger. best Joker ever.

Yep, Heath Ledger's death was one that really shocked me. I remember waking up and hearing it on the radio one morning, and I really could believe it.

As for Michael Jackson, my students told me one day that he was dead, but I really thought they were just playing a prank. That one surprised me as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

reptilegirl

Nov 23, 2012
Phoenix
✟7,712.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yep, Heath Ledger's death was one that really shocked me. I remember waking up and hearing it on the radio one morning, and I really could believe it.

As for Michael Jackson, my students told me one day that he was dead, but I really thought they were just playing a prank. That one surprised me as well.
Heath Ledger's death was also very sad. Michael Jackson died a day after my birthday. I wasn't very "sad" about it, but thought everyone was joking, hard to believe he was gone.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess I should add Heath Ledger to my list, although it was more specific to his role as The Joker than that I generally appreciated him a person. I mean, I did appreciate him as an actor, but I didn't know anything about him personally (unlike Charlton Heston, for instance, who was a great man apart from his acting career).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A few more:

Jerry Garcia, Freddie Mercury, Steve Erwin, Lou Albano, Michael Jackson, Christopher Reeve, Richard Pryor, Leslie Nielsen, and Princess Diana.

If there aren't many women on my list, it's because most of my favorite female celebrities are either still alive or died long ago.

Upvote 0

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jim Varney's death has been the worst for me. I still get really sad when I remember that he's dead. :( Others are:

John Candy
John F. Kennedy Jr.
Princess Diana
Van Johnson
Andy Griffith
Bob Hope (okay, the guy was 100, sooo...yeah, it certainly was his time to go I will admit)
Patrick Swayze
Ernest Borgnine
Paul Newman
Steve Erwin

I'm going to have a complete and utter meltdown when Eli Wallach, Robert Duvall, Michael Caine and Alan Arkin die. No joke. :(

Upvote 0

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't know if this counts, but Edgar Allen Poe and H.P. Lovecraft's deaths always make me sad. Both died in their forties, both had crappy lives, and neither of them ever received much acclaim in their lifetimes. If they only knew how much their work influenced almost all modern horror fiction.

Upvote 0