CBP continues to illegally hold children at the border for days - 1 month old held for 16 days

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
US held dozens of children, including a 1-month-old, at border for several days in last 2 months

"In the last two months alone, CBP has detained 14 children under the age of five for longer than five days, including a one-month-old baby who was detained for over 16 days in September 2020," the lawmakers wrote.

The Democrats' letter is based on government data provided to lawyers in the Flores settlement case. The so-called Flores settlement agreement requires the government to release children from immigration detention without unnecessary delay to their parents, other adult relatives or licensed programs. Holding children for more than three days in facilities is a violation of that agreement, with limited exceptions.

The extended detention of children raised alarm among immigrant advocates and lawmakers last year when apprehensions at the US-Mexico soared and shelters for children were at capacity. But the latest string of incidents comes at a time when arrests have declined compared with 2019. It's unclear what has led to the increased time in detention in recent months.

The government has "steadfastly refused to disclose the reason" for the prolonged detention of children, lawyers said in a Monday court filing in the US District Court for the Central District of California.

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟606,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I’m not Hispanic but I live in a Hispanic neighborhood. I used to hate when I’d see ICE floating around . They’d been known to just pick up people walking down the street just because they looked Hispanic and had no ID on them . Why would you need ID to go to the corner store? But they wouldn’t let people go back into the house to get the ID. I used to think there were laws against unlawful detainment. Now I know better. But note that NYC police are NOT allowed to help ICE even if an illegal immigrant is detained by the police for a crime and then released.

Upvote 0