Catholic Teachings on Homosexuality: Roman Catholic (and OP only please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusanagi

Cyborg Surface Marshal
Jul 4, 2005
The Northeast Corridor
✟16,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a burning question that has been nagging me in recent years. It was just recently when the UK legalized same-gender marrages and just recintly had it's first same-gender marrage that prompt me to ask:

What is the Catholic Church's teachings in regards to Homosexuality?
I know the Church does not aprove same-gender marrages and regard the acts between them sinful but I would like more information about it perhaps both in religious and secular moral reasons if I am ever asked "why I am against same-gender marrages" (Which I am).

Thanks for any information :wave:

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A good place to start is the Catechism, follow this link: http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/pt3sect2chpt2art6.htm.

Also, John Paul II's "Theology of the Body" is a masterful set of homilies on the meaning of our bodies, what it means to be created male and female in God's image, and the implications of God's use of the marital union as the best image of His relationship with us. There are a number of excellent books on it, the homilies themselves are rather dense.

Chastity and homosexuality

Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

Upvote 0

thirst2

Apr 26, 2006
Visit site
✟15,326.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
a_ntv said:
There exist many groups of catholic homosexuals, even leaded by priests.
They are not very public to avoid stupid scandals.
But if you a gay, the church receives you the same and help you to find the way to the Lord.

That's deffinately true. I think that we need to keep open the possibility that maybe homosexuality isn't a sin. Then again, maybe it is. However, as many choose to do, we shouldn't immediately assume and reject. As Christians, we need to see both sides of a situation. A great example would be Sodome. While it is traditionally believed to directly state that homosexuality is sin, there is some pretty strong evidence against that. Not saying that the evidence is true but that there is the possibility. I have a site which lists both the conservative and liberal views of different verses and chapters within the bible dealing with homosexuality. If anyone wants the site, PM me. It's interesting to see it from both views. After all, the bible - and just about anything - can be interpreted in multiple different ways. What way you take it as is your own. But before making any decision you must look at all sides of the situation. Beyond stereotypes, beyond just taking what people tell us, we must study God's word and decide what He is saying is right and wrong. I believe (and I can see if you do not) that God gave us laws that we must make sense out of, that we must look at the reason behind the rule rather than the exact words of the rule itself. Heh, in other words, analyze His words and look at all sides of the situation when deciding what He is saying. That's my opinion anyway.

Reactions: a_ntv
Upvote 0

Mt16_18

May 9, 2006
✟7,612.00
Faith
Catholic
thirst2 said:
That's deffinately true. I think that we need to keep open the possibility that maybe homosexuality isn't a sin. Then again, maybe it is. However, as many choose to do, we shouldn't immediately assume and reject. As Christians, we need to see both sides of a situation. A great example would be Sodome. While it is traditionally believed to directly state that homosexuality is sin, there is some pretty strong evidence against that. Not saying that the evidence is true but that there is the possibility. I have a site which lists both the conservative and liberal views of different verses and chapters within the bible dealing with homosexuality. If anyone wants the site, PM me. It's interesting to see it from both views. After all, the bible - and just about anything - can be interpreted in multiple different ways. What way you take it as is your own. But before making any decision you must look at all sides of the situation. Beyond stereotypes, beyond just taking what people tell us, we must study God's word and decide what He is saying is right and wrong. I believe (and I can see if you do not) that God gave us laws that we must make sense out of, that we must look at the reason behind the rule rather than the exact words of the rule itself. Heh, in other words, analyze His words and look at all sides of the situation when deciding what He is saying. That's my opinion anyway.

Thirst2, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but part of being Catholic means believing all that the Church teaches authoritatively. Church teaching on homosexuality is very clear - it is immoral to engage in or support homosexual behavior. Therefore you may not "keep open the possibility that maybe homosexuality isn't a sin." As Christians we need not to "see both sides of the situation" (in the sense of being sympathetic to, etc.) so much as follow Christ's commands and those of the Church he established and promised to guide into all truth (cf. Mt 16:18, Jn 16:13).

If this is something you are struggling with, the last thing to do is offer advice to someone who is looking for the Catholic perspective on the issue. What you are presenting is your own perspective under the guise of being Catholic.

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟37,141.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Mt16_18 said:
Therefore you may not "keep open the possibility that maybe homosexuality isn't a sin." As Christians we need not to "see both sides of the situation" (in the sense of being sympathetic to, etc.) so much as follow Christ's commands and those of the Church he established and promised to guide into all truth (cf. Mt 16:18, Jn 16:13).

Church condemms homosex acts (like other luxury acts), but has respect, compassion for homesex people that have not choosen to be allured by same sex people.

From Catechism:
2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered." They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.
2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.
2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
"They close the sexual act to the gift of life."

This statment from JP II quote above, I think bears repeating, for it places homosexuality in the context of western societies general tendancy towards divorcing the human sexual activity from our life force.

In our culture of death, where even on today's news Russia's leader Putin is grappling with the problem that his country is demographically dying, homosexuality is but one small part of a much graver problem.

http://andreaweckerlecopywriting.typepad.com/new_millennium_pr/2006/03/declining_birth.html

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20040501faessay83307/phillip-longman/the-global-baby-bust.html

http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=article&DocID=2122

http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=article&DocID=2912

http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~anthro/courses/361/wattenberg.html

http://www.cis.org/articles/2005/mskoped042505.html

http://www.eppc.org/publications/pubID.2327/pub_detail.asp
In the end, neither Longman nor Wattenberg probes very deeply into the larger cultural question of the demographics of implosion. But they have gathered the data and usefully corrected certain widespread and longstanding misrepresentations: There will be no population explosion (neither in the developed West nor in the Third World), only a slow and steady decline in the human population. The economic and social effects of these trends will be enormous, but the deeper question is why so many modern people are choosing to live for themselves and for today, with so little thought for the human future.

http://www.charlesadler.com/News/NPV...&articleid=904
http://www.nationalreview.com/kurtz/...0603130805.asp
http://www.westernstandard.ca/websit...rticle_id=1454

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1519631/posts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...3/22/ixop.html

http://www.westernstandard.ca/websit...&article_id=78

Upvote 0

thirst2

Apr 26, 2006
Visit site
✟15,326.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You're absolutely right Mt16_18, Catholics believe in the authority of the church. And, since you say church, I assume you mean every priest to the pope. And, since some priests are homosexuals and agree with it, we can assume that we may have multiple opinions on the subject. Thank you for clarifying that.

Upvote 0

thirst2

Apr 26, 2006
Visit site
✟15,326.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
a_ntv said:
From Catechism:
2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered." They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.
2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

Not meaning to pick a fight, but you say that homosexuality closes the act to the gift of life yet so does chastity. So how is homosexuality harmful?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
thirst2 said:
Not meaning to pick a fight, but you say that homosexuality closes the act to the gift of life yet so does chastity. So how is homosexuality harmful?
The quote say that homosexuality closes the sex act off from the gift of life.
Chastity does not involve an action, but a resolve to remain still, and receptive to God alone.

Placing one's desires on the altar as a sacrafice to God, opens oneself up to a relationship with God that Paul assures us in of a higher order.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
thirst2 said:
You're absolutely right Mt16_18, Catholics believe in the authority of the church. And, since you say church, I assume you mean every priest to the pope. And, since some priests are homosexuals and agree with it, we can assume that we may have multiple opinions on the subject. Thank you for clarifying that.
The Magesterium of the Church alone contains the infallible charism of truth, without opinion.
Any priest speaking against the magesterium has the freedom to express his opinion, but the truth is not contained in his opinion.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Teh Catholic teaching on same sex union is so clear and consise, it is hardly worth debating.

But as to if there are secular reasons to believe that we have practical reasons to put forth as to why marriage should be restricted to the one-flesh union of a man and a woman, the field is rather more side open.
This may be a good forum to start compiling a list of good secular reasons as to why God would so instruct us about marriage in the first place.
Here is one link that I have so far come up with:

http://www.family.org/cforum/fosi/marriage/ssuap/a0027554.cfm

(I am not really intested in debating, but this slow-paced thread seems like a good place to begin a compilation of relevant research, without just instantly disappearing into cyberspace like so many others).

Upvote 0

thirst2

Apr 26, 2006
Visit site
✟15,326.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
solomon said:
The quote say that homosexuality closes the sex act off from the gift of life.
Chastity does not involve an action, but a resolve to remain still, and receptive to God alone.

Placing one's desires on the altar as a sacrafice to God, opens oneself up to a relationship with God that Paul assures us in of a higher order.

I absolutely agree on some parts but chastity is still an action (the choosing of no sex) and even if you want to say it isn't it still prohibits the gift of life from ever occuring.

Upvote 0

thirst2

Apr 26, 2006
Visit site
✟15,326.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
solomon said:
The Magesterium of the Church alone contains the infallible charism of truth, without opinion.
Any priest speaking against the magesterium has the freedom to express his opinion, but the truth is not contained in his opinion.

Ok, the Magesterium of the Church alone contains the truth but what then is truth if members of the church you claim can be wrong. Or are you picking which parts of the church are right and which are wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thirst2

Apr 26, 2006
Visit site
✟15,326.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That link is completely off. The example of different love from both parents is completely untrue. My mother had expected far more from me and certainly was far from having a "mom's softness". If anyone ever showed any emotion it was always my dad. Sex doesn't determine personality.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
thirst2 said:
I absolutely agree on some parts but chastity is still an action (the choosing of no sex) and even if you want to say it isn't it still prohibits the gift of life from ever occuring.

Does it really, now?

"I am the life", said Jesus.

Catholics rejoice in te fecundity of the sacrament of marriage. No doubt, children are the special gift of that sacrament, and the marriage itself provides the child wiht the sufficient environment to prosper.

But nuns for example, in chosing chasity, in choosing to betroth themselves to Christ Himself, experience Life to the purest, to the fullest, and in a form infinitley complete.

Mary herself was a ever-virgin, and Life does not depend on procreation to enter into this world.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
thirst2 said:
That link is completely off. The example of different love from both parents is completely untrue. My mother had expected far more from me and certainly was far from having a "mom's softness". If anyone ever showed any emotion it was always my dad. Sex doesn't determine personality.

The social sciences are based on statistics. Your story is anecdotal evidence that in no way disproves the norm.

Anecdotally though, are you saying that you would trade your mother for another father, or vice-versa?
Do you consider that your life would be richer f you had been raised by two men, rather than a mother and a father?

Would you consider it a better for you personally if you will raise your own children with another man, rather than letting a woman such as your mother into their lives?

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
http://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=3191
Q: What about same-sex couples? Should marriage be redefined to include them?

Gallagher: Same-sex marriage teaches the next generation that there is nothing special or unique about husbands and wives who can become mothers and fathers. It separates marriage from its great, historic, cross-cultural task of bringing together male and female to make and raise the next generation together.

A loving and compassionate society comes to the aid of motherless and fatherless children, but no compassionate society intentionally deprives children of their own mom or dad. Same-sex marriage announces that society has repudiated this goal and has placed adult desires for diverse family forms as its core goal.

Q: How do you respond to people who say our marriage laws are discriminatory?

Gallagher: Laws against interracial marriage were about keeping two races apart, so that one race could oppress the other -- and that is wrong.

Marriage is about bringing male and female together, so that children have mothers and fathers, and so that women aren't stuck with the enormous, unfair burdens of parenting alone -- and that is right.

Q: How would same-sex marriage hurt any one's marriage?

Gallagher: This is not just a discussion of benefits. If it were, we could come to some accommodations.

The logic of gay marriage is that there is no difference between same-sex and opposite sex unions, and that anyone who thinks otherwise is either irrational or bigoted.

Same-sex marriage advocates thus seek to use the law to force everyone to dramatically and permanently alter our definition of marriage and family. The law will teach your children and grandchildren that there is nothing special about mothers and fathers raising children together, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a bigot.

It's going to be extremely hard to raise, say, young men to be good family men in a society that teaches the idea that anyone who thinks fathers and mothers should raise children together is a bigot.

And anyone who says otherwise may get subjected to legal punishments of various kinds.

Q: What do you mean by that? And what is the threat to religious liberty posed by same-sex marriage?

Gallagher: It's very real. Right now in the state of Massachusetts, for example, the government is set to strip Catholic Charities of its adoption license unless Catholics agree to place children with same-sex couples.

If you follow the racial analogy being made here -- that opposing gay marriage is akin to racial bigotry -- then ultimately the law is going to pressure Catholic and other religions' institutions and punish those that fail to conform to its new vision of marriage. I'm talking about things like broadcasting licenses and ultimately tax exempt status for Catholic schools and other faith-based organizations.

This may sound incredible. But who would ever have imagined that here in the United States a government would prevent Catholics from helping poor, abandoned, needy babies, unless they agree with the government's position on gay adoptions?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.