Visit site
✟18,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I understand your point, and although I'm a very pacifist person, it's hard to know where to draw the line.
I cannot even think of a way to compromise, unless you allow the parents to take their child out of that class, and make no longer make it required.
Personally I would fight the whole thing.

~Jenka

Upvote 0

Estefana

Nov 2, 2004
✟1,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I understand the point, but what about those who send their child to a particular Catholic school because that school has a stellar academic reputation and would help that chold get into a better college? I know people who have done that and have said their child will take no part in any religious things because they are there for the learning. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Estefana said:
I understand the point, but what about those who send their child to a particular Catholic school because that school has a stellar academic reputation and would help that chold get into a better college? I know people who have done that and have said their child will take no part in any religious things because they are there for the learning. I don't see anything wrong with that.

The reason Catholic schools exist is because of the Catholic faith. If they don't like that, they can go elsewhere. Catholic schools do not exist to get your child into a better college or any other such reason. Part of the learning is learning the Catholic faith. If you want to exclude that, you should not attend a Catholic school.

BTW, I am still waiting for the name and location of this school so I can notify the bishop.

Upvote 0

Jenka

ISCARIOT AGENCY XIII - Agent VII :1st-C Info Tech
Sep 16, 2005
Ottawa
Visit site
✟18,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I went to a Catholic school all my life, and yet a was barely a Catholic. My parents put me in their because they thought it would be better to put me in a Christian school rather then public...was that wrong because we weren't "technically" catholic?

~Jenka

Upvote 0

Estefana

Nov 2, 2004
✟1,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
School exists to provide an education, that is why kids go to school. I know that a friend of mine went to a Catholic school depsite being Jewish because it had an outstanding academic record and she just got a note and sat out all the religious stuff and went to the library and read. Was it wrong of the school to do this? Should have they said 'Sorry, please go to a lesser quality school Jew Girl'?

And I will not be mentioning any names.

Upvote 0

Jenka

Sep 16, 2005
Ottawa
Visit site
✟18,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hmm, if a school were to have religious standards, I doubt they would be as rude as that. However, I think that if you go to a Catholic school you should expect to be taught/participate in the Catholic system and through that system, religion.
The school should not compromise itself for the student; if the student wishes to attend there they have to compromise themselves.
The school was based upon Catholic teachings, and should stay true to it's heritage and roots.

~Jenka

Reactions: Filia Mariae
Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jenka said:
Hmm, if a school were to have religious standards, I doubt they would be as rude as that. However, I think that if you go to a Catholic school you should expect to be taught/participate in the Catholic system and through that system, religion.
The school should not compromise itself for the student; if the student wishes to attend there they have to compromise themselves.
The school was based upon Catholic teachings, and should stay true to it's heritage and roots.

~Jenka

:amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Estefana said:
Well, it is a school not in the USA. It is also in a area where public schools are not of a good standard, so a lot of non Catholics send their children there.

It goes against Catholicism, so it is inappropriate.

Upvote 0

Jenka

Sep 16, 2005
Ottawa
Visit site
✟18,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Estefana said:
Well, they didn't do that thankfully. They were sensitive to the fact that not everyone is Catholic and that not everybody believes in it. It is a bit unfaior for people to be made to listen to something they do not believe because of the school their parents chose.

The parent chooses the best place for the child to go to school. If they decided to put their child into a Catholic school, they must have realized that there will be some Catholic teaching there.
Is this friend a Jew and her parents not? Well, at this point she is still under her parents authority, (If she lives at home) and must obey their wishes.
It is not fair for her to demand that she get special treatment when she has been placed into a Catholic school. Perhaps she could think about going to a secular school or even a jewish one.

Estefana, we are all made to listen to what we don't believe. As a Christian I have to hear or learn about tons of things I don't agree with/believe in. I had to learn about Evolution, how to have safe sex before marrige, I had to almost fight my female doctor about how I didn't want to take birth control pills. (she didn't believe me when I said I'm not going to have sex and don't agree with the pills.) We all have to listen..it's part of being in the world but not of it!
~Jenka

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Estefana said:
Well, they didn't do that thankfully. They were sensitive to the fact that not everyone is Catholic and that not everybody believes in it. It is a bit unfaior for people to be made to listen to something they do not believe because of the school their parents chose.

IF parents want their kids to have this, they need to make an obvious choice...

Catholic school without this, or public.

The school is in no way responsible for teaching as though it is a public facility. Regardless of who's religion is offended, the sign on the door is pretty explicit.

AND they need only be mindful of ONE religion as they teach...CATHOLICISM.

Upvote 0

Jenka

Sep 16, 2005
Ottawa
Visit site
✟18,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Angel, I totally agree with your post, but maybe it's the font or something, but I get the feeling that you're 'yelling' even though I'm sure you're not.
I guess it's just so big or something...*shrug*

~Jenka

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Estefana

Nov 2, 2004
✟1,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Jenka said:
The parent chooses the best place for the child to go to school. If they decided to put their child into a Catholic school, they must have realized that there will be some Catholic teaching there.
Is this friend a Jew and her parents not? Well, at this point she is still under her parents authority, (If she lives at home) and must obey their wishes.
It is not fair for her to demand that she get special treatment when she has been placed into a Catholic school. Perhaps she could think about going to a secular school or even a jewish one.

Estefana, we are all made to listen to what we don't believe. As a Christian I have to hear or learn about tons of things I don't agree with/believe in. I had to learn about Evolution, how to have safe sex before marrige, I had to almost fight my female doctor about how I didn't want to take birth control pills. (she didn't believe me when I said I'm not going to have sex and don't agree with the pills.) We all have to listen..it's part of being in the world but not of it!
~Jenka

Oh no - Sasha's parents are Jewish. They just did not want to send her to either of the public schools near them because they did not have strong academic records at all and have a air bit of violence there. So they sent her to the Catholic school - no Jewish one nearby. I think for those reasons it was OK for her to be allowed to sit out of the Religion lessons when she has a different family background.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If a Catholic school decides to admit nonCatholic students and lets them sit out Catholic courses it seems more like a secualr school with Catholic elective courses.

If the state mandates teaching ABC that is fine. Teach it as a heathen practice mandated by a secualr authority and how it goes against God's will.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Estefana said:
I understand the point, but what about those who send their child to a particular Catholic school because that school has a stellar academic reputation and would help that chold get into a better college?

If this school is outside of the US, then I don't think that would be a huge issue... the US has this thing about academic reputations and "better schools" getting you into a "better college". That's almost a non-issue in Canada because largely all the schools in a particular province teach the same curriculum. It is regulated by the provincial government. You really have an equal chance of getting into whatever university you like as long as your academic performance is excellent... and academic performance isn't directly related to the academic reputation of the school. For example, kids get the same education no matter which high school they go to in Ontario because the curriculum is uniform.

Upvote 0

Estefana

Nov 2, 2004
✟1,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Veritas_et_Puritas said:
If this school is outside of the US, then I don't think that would be a huge issue... the US has this thing about academic reputations and "better schools" getting you into a "better college". That's almost a non-issue in Canada because largely all the schools in a particular province teach the same curriculum. It is regulated by the provincial government. You really have an equal chance of getting into whatever university you like as long as your academic performance is excellent... and academic performance isn't directly related to the academic reputation of the school. For example, kids get the same education no matter which high school they go to in Ontario because the curriculum is uniform.
That situation was a friend in American who went to a better school. However, the school teaching about contraception is out of the US. Sorry about the confusion.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.