Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The first Mass was celebrated on the property on Christmas Eve in 1927. The last Mass will be celebrated on Sept. 19, the museum said in a statement.

The Catholic La Salette Missionaries are selling one of their Marian shrines in Enfield, New Hampshire, to a museum devoted to the preservation of the history of the Protestant sect known as the Shakers.

Once known as “The Shaking Quakers” for the ecstatic trembling that accompanied their worship, the utopian religious group split from mainstream Quakerism in the 18th century, peaking in popularity in America in the mid-1800s. The practitioners of nonviolence, celibacy, and furniture-making only has two members left in existence (in Maine), Deseret News reported in 2022.

According to the Enfield Shaker Museum, which is buying the shrine to Our Lady of La Salette, the Missionaries of La Salette bought the land from the Shakers in 1927. Before that, the land was used for potential Shaker converts who lived in the community for a one-year trial period.

The La Salette Missionaries, who spread the message given by the Virgin Mary to two shepherd children in the French Alps during the 1800s, were founded to heal spiritual wounds through a call to repentance and the administering of the sacraments.

Continued below.

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My priest friend(RIP) was a member of the La Salette Order. There were
different provinces of the order, but as they have shrunk, the order merged
into one order, which is at the La Salete Shrine in Attleboro MA. The
Shrine in Enfield NH was once a seminary and now the order has so few
men, they can run things from Attleboro, MA.

The shrine in Attleboro MA, puts on a Christimas light display which is one of the
largest in the nation. My wife and myself have gone several times,
They also have retreats and other events now.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0