United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Latest one I saw was Fr. Stu.

There are a lot of Catholic movies and movies with Catholic themes. There is an old one called Shoes of the Fisherman. That was very good. I’ll have to think of more and post when they come to mind.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What are some of your favorites?

I love Song of Bernadette and Our Lady of Fatima, and the recent one, Fatima.
Here is a list you may be interested in Riley.

In 2004, the National Catholic Register and Faith & Family magazine gathered online nominations for films that best celebrate Catholic life. These are movies with specific Catholic references, not simply with Catholic themes.

More than 1,000 people voted for their favorites. Here are the results.

WARNING: Not all of these movies are family-friendly. Movies with asterisks are known to have adult content. However, readers are advised to preview all films to determine if they’re appropriate for your children.

1. The Passion of the Christ (2004)*
2. The Sound of Music (1965)
3. A Man For All Seasons (1966)
4. The Song of Bernadette (1943)
5. It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)
6. The Ten Commandments (1956)
7. The Scarlet and the Black (1983)
8. Jesus of Nazareth (1977)
9. Schindler’s List (1993) *
10. The Bells of St Mary’s (1945)
11. Thérèse (2004)
12. Braveheart (1995) *
13. The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima
14. The Mission (1986) *
15. Lilies of the Field (1963)
16. The Miracle of Marcelino (1955)
17. Les Miserables (1998) *
18. The Quiet Man (1952)
19. Ben Hur (1959)
20. Rudy (1993) *

Continued below.
Top 100 Pro-Catholic Movies

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And this:

Forget the List from the National Catholic Register which gave us 100 films that barely made the "Catholic" quota never mind the "impurity" standards that Catholic's are supposed to adhere to... Here are a ton of REAL Catholic films that will make you be proud of your Faith!

Continued below.
Truly Catholic Films - IMDb

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

People will think this is a weird choice because on the surface it seems anti-religion, but Kingdom of Heaven. I just love how beautifully it's shot, and I think most of the characters are actually good faithful Catholics. They're not perfect, but they're doing God's work...and it's a beautiful glimpse of the Holy Land when it was ruled by Christendom.

Yeah I understand the director's intention was to make the Templars look corrupt and Guy de Lusignan and Reynald de Chatillon were portrayed as wicked villains and Saladin was supposed to look like some kind of merciful hero or antihero. They kind of suggested the Knights Hospitaller were kind of hippie Christians like today's Jesuits or even like the Shane Claiborne evangelicals; they wanted to portray the true believers as mindless zealots and the irreligious as rational thinkers. I just ignore that, or mentally reflect on what these people were actually like based on undistorted historical accounts.

All the same, I have a weird reflexive ability to watch movies like this and decipher who the good guys and bad guys really are despite the culture spin the liberal director tries to put on the story, and then I can just enjoy the visual storytelling. So I look at Kingdom of Heaven and I just think "DEUS VULT!" Same thing when I watched the first season of HBO's "The Young Pope". I think the intent of that show was to make the whole Vatican just seem like this terribly corrupt cesspool and Pope Pius XIII (Jude Law) like some kind of radical fascist would was undoing decades of modernization in the Church (one scene even suggesting that he was going to be contravening Pope Franics' work). But I just look at a story like that and think "Yeah man I hope our next Pope looks like Pius XII! No satire here I wanna Pope that's hard nosed like him!"

Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to see, say, Mel Gibson take that same story and accomplish the same visual excellence but tell the story of the Third Crusade truthfully with the understanding that the Christians were the righteous faction, no matter what kinds of sins and indiscretions were committed by the individuals involved.

A more overtly Catholic film I really enjoyed was For Greater Glory about the Cristero War. It has a surprisingly incredible cast for a movie that's specifically about Catholic heroes, it stars Andy Garcia, Oscar Isaac, Eva Longoria, Peter O'Toole, Ruben Blades, Bruce Greenwood, Bruce McGill. It was (and still could be) the most expensive film production ever done in Mexico, and it's a really compelling film.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

"Song of Bernadette" inspired me greatly, when I was a young girl.

So many of these movies were just so very inspiring ... good food for the soul ...

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums