St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Hi :wave:

I just had a phone call from a dear relative of mine. She is interested in the Catholic Church and was at first attending RCIA classes with me. But for she did not finish. It was her life, not the Church that was the problem.

Anyway she has two children, and just one week ago she married their father. :clap:

Her kids are 3 years old, and one month old. Today she told me that the Catholic rhythm method of birth control does not work. The home test show that she is pregnant again. We all know before the father does. lol :D

I told her that the Church does not teach the rhythm method, but I am not sure what they actually do teach. Can you help me? It may appear that I am asking too late, but she said that she was going to use different birth control in the future.

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟37,907.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hey Stormy,

I'm not the expert on this, but I do know that the types of NFP are not the rhythm method. Rhythm method is a VERY imprecise estimate. Since all women are not exactly the same, the rhythm method is bound to fail in some cases.

As far as I know there are 7 or 8 methods of NFP.

And that is about all I know. :(

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I was at mass Sunday, and one of the sponsors from our RCIA was there with his family. There were six kids. The oldest looked about 7, and mommy was obviously pregnant.

I do not know the method the Church advises, but does the Church method really work? What is it? Has it worked for the most part?

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Stormy, natural family planning methods are far more sophisticated and reliable today than the old rythme method was. They have progressed just as quickly and reliably as the chemical methods in fact.
Check out www.ccli.org for the Sympto-thermal method, or you can check out the creighton method which Shannon is an expert with, and I am sure will be along to provide more information shortly :)

Upvote 0

anawim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2004
NY suburbs
Visit site
✟19,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Stormy said:
I was at mass Sunday, and one of the sponsors from our RCIA was there with his family. There were six kids. The oldest looked about 7, and mommy was obviously pregnant.

I do not know the method the Church advises, but does the Church method really work? What is it? Has it worked for the most part?

Contact Couple to Couple League. http://www.ccli.org/

Upvote 0

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Stormy said:

The Church teaches NFP, which, when followed, is about 99% effective, better than artificial birth control. It is NOT the rhythm method, which only deals with the number of days, but NFP examines the changes in the woman's body leading up to ovulation.

NFP, however, is only to be used for serious reasons. When a couple gets married, they are agreeing to be open to life, since having children is the main purpose of marriage.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Paul S said:
The Church teaches NFP, which, when followed, is about 99% effective, better than artificial birth control. It is NOT the rhythm method, which only deals with the number of days, but NFP examines the changes in the woman's body leading up to ovulation.

NFP, however, is only to be used for serious reasons. When a couple gets married, they are agreeing to be open to life, since having children is the main purpose of marriage.
Paul, the Church doesnt teaching how effective it is, but only that it (partial abstinence) can be morally used in the right circumstances. The effectivness of it is asserted by the scientists

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
geocajun said:
Paul, the Church doesnt teaching how effective it is, but only that it (partial abstinence) can be morally used in the right circumstances.

What exactly are the moral circumstances? This is a major issue for my husband. He's not Catholic and has no interest in becoming Catholic, but wants to know why NFP is allowed and contraception is not. He understands the abortificent nature of some birth control and doesn't dispute that. However, his point is that if the couple isn't intimate when the woman is pregnant, you're still not relying just on God for the making or not making of babies.
kamikat

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Paul S said:

Please remember that we live in a real world. I believe that it is irresponsible to have so many children that you are not able to care for them and/or the health of the mother becomes a problem.

This couple is in their early 20s. If they did not practice some form of "birth control", they could have 20 kids?? maybe more??

I have never heard it said that NFP was only to be used for serious reasons. I was happy that the Church could advise a natural method that is reliable. But now you are telling me that even using this method results in sin??

I am not sure now what to say to Amanda. :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Stormy said:
Please remember that we live in a real world. I believe that it is irresponsible to have so many children that you are not able to care for them and/or the health of the mother becomes a problem.

Please remember that "the real world" and the life of the Church are not mutually exclusive. The Church wants what is best for her faithful, and it would not be in anyone's best interest to have more children than can be cared for. But one must truly examine what "care for" means.

NFP is to be used only when grave reasons are present, as others have said.
http://www.usccb.org/prolife/issues/nfp/seriousq.htm

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Stormy said:

That doesn't mean it doesn't work. I know a couple that teach NFP at their local parish and have 5 children under 6 years old. They WANT a big family so much that Momma usually stops breastfeeding at 3 months so she can become fertile again. (for those who don't know, breastfeeding can be a very effective birthcontol for many moms).
kamikat

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
kamikat said:
What exactly are the moral circumstances? This is a major issue for my husband. He's not Catholic and has no interest in becoming Catholic, but wants to know why NFP is allowed and contraception is not. He understands the abortificent nature of some birth control and doesn't dispute that. However, his point is that if the couple isn't intimate when the woman is pregnant, you're still not relying just on God for the making or not making of babies.
kamikat
Kami, moral circumstances which would enable one to morally utilize partial abstinence with the intention of spacing children would include environment, social duress, political, financial, health, etc...

The reason NFP is permitted and contraception is not centers around integrity that is to say, the integrity of the act is preserved when each act of sex preserves both the unitive, and the procreative elements of it.
On the other hand, contraceptives pervert the interity of the act by removing the procreative element of the sexual act, much like rape also perverts it by removing the unitive aspect of it.
With partial abstinence, the couple is either having sex naturally, thus preserving both elements of the act, or not having sex at all, thus not perverting the integrity of the act either.
Does that help?

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Stormy said:
Hi :wave:

I just had a phone call from a dear relative of mine. She is interested in the Catholic Church and was at first attending RCIA classes with me. But for she did not finish. It was her life, not the Church that was the problem.

Anyway she has two children, and just one week ago she married their father. :clap:

Her kids are 3 years old, and one month old. Today she told me that the Catholic rhythm method of birth control does not work. The home test show that she is pregnant again. We all know before the father does. lol :D

I told her that the Church does not teach the rhythm method, but I am not sure what they actually do teach. Can you help me? It may appear that I am asking too late, but she said that she was going to use different birth control in the future.

Hi Stormy! :wave:

Others have mentioned it here, you can direct your friend to the Couple to Couple league http://www.ccli.org/ for the sympto-thermal (sp?) NFP or to the NaproTechnology http://www.naprotechnology.com/ which is also NFP but a different method.

Both methods work really well, of course, they require that the couple follow the instructions and do it right.

For what it's worth, the wife and I preffer NaproTechnology, but both are good, work, and are in keeping with the teachings of the Church.

Cheers

Upvote 0

bostonlass

sweet caroline ;)
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟6,873.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
My sisters and my brother all were conceived via the rythym method.^_^ ^_^

I was told that I was the only one that was planned.:holy:

As for the special circumstances....I think people can say whatever they want about it but the bottom line is that you need to lay everything out on the table to your priest and he can determine what is best for you. Each case is different since everyone's lives are different.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
sweetcaroline said:
As for the special circumstances....I think people can say whatever they want about it but the bottom line is that you need to lay everything out on the table to your priest and he can determine what is best for you. Each case is different since everyone's lives are different.

Caroline, Your Priest can only give you information to help you form your conscience to make the right choice - he cannot make it for you. It is up to the couple to prayerfully decide if they have sufficient reason to space children on a month by month basis. It is up not the priests decision.

Upvote 0

bostonlass

sweet caroline ;)
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟6,873.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
geocajun said:
Caroline, Your Priest can only give you information to help you form your conscience to make the right choice - he cannot make it for you. It is up to the couple to prayerfully decide if they have sufficient reason to space children on a month by month basis. It is up not the priests decision.

Do you not think the couple should ask a priest for advice on this matter?

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
sweetcaroline said:
Do you not think the couple should ask a priest for advice on this matter?
that isn't what you said. You said the priest would decide for you. Which is incorrect, and bad advice to give someone.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
sweetcaroline said:
When would you go against a priest's advice?
when a priest gives bad advice - like the one who told my wife she could take contraceptives for example. Priests are not infallible, nor are you, but you will be judged for your choices, not his.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.