Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
What are your thoughts on Catherine Doherty and the Madonna house? She is an Eastern Catholic, and a former Orthodox Christian, who is being considered for the Sainthood. Her husband was a Melkite priest. I read her book several years ago, and loved it.

Apparently, she was still very attached to Orthodoxy throughout her life.

Is it ok to ask for her intercession or to pray for her?

Thanks

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,652,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

MariaChristi

Jun 23, 2021
south
✟82,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What are your thoughts on Catherine Doherty and the Madonna house? She is an Eastern Catholic, and a former Orthodox Christian, who is being considered for the Sainthood. Her husband was a Melkite priest. I read her book several years ago, and loved it.

Apparently, she was still very attached to Orthodoxy throughout her life.

Is it ok to ask for her intercession or to pray for her?

Thanks
Dear Riley,

Years ago, I made a retreat at Madonna house and met Catherine Doherty in Canada. She was an amazing person whose books I had read and whom I believe is truly worthy to be considered for Sainthood! Her husband was an American journalist who before becoming a priest wrote as did Catheine, and my experience - seeing both of them at a Christmas Eve Mass at their retreat house was a beautiful experience I'll treasure always.

I was at a table with others after Mass and spoke with Catherine. Both her books on "The Gospel without Compromise" and "Postinia" are books I've read more than once". Catherine remains in my memory as a woman strong in her faith and in her love for Jesus through Mary. Hopefully she will be raised to Sainthood. It would be a joy to meet her again in heaven.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟126,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dear Riley,

Years ago, I made a retreat at Madonna house and met Catherine Doherty in Canada. She was an amazing person whose books I had read and whom I believe is truly worthy to be considered for Sainthood! Her husband was an American journalist who before becoming a priest wrote as did Catheine, and my experience - seeing both of them at a Christmas Eve Mass at their retreat house was a beautiful experience I'll treasure always.

I was at a table with others after Mass and spoke with Catherine. Both her books on "The Gospel without Compromise" and "Postinia" are books I've read more than once". Catherine remains in my memory as a woman strong in her faith and in her love for Jesus through Mary. Hopefully she will be raised to Sainthood. It would be a joy to meet her again in heaven.
I also recommend those two books of hers. One place to begin, for information on her, her life and apostolate, is here:

Upvote 0

MariaChristi

Jun 23, 2021
south
✟82,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I also recommend those two books of hers. One place to begin, for information on her, her life and apostolate, is here:
Thanks Fide, for adding your encouragement to any members on this Forum who may not have heard, or seen or read the beautiful work of God in the Soul of Catherine Dougherty, her husband, and all who seek to love God at "Madonna House". Catherine and her husband both wrote many books which I've not read. The Lord provides for all who love Him with a pure heart, and especially when they pray through the intersession of Mary, our Mother and Mother of the Church!

Reactions: fide
Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟126,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Below is from a Card, enclosing a relic from Servant of God Catherine de Hueck Doherty

These words Catherine believed she received from Christ,
and which guided her life:

The Little Mandate

Arise – go! Sell all you possess.
Give it directly, personally to the poor.
Take up My cross (their cross) and follow Me,
going to the poor, being poor,
being one of them, one of Me.
Little – be always little! Be simple, poor, childlike.
Preach the Gospel with your life – without compromise!
Listen to the Spirit. He will lead you.
Do little things exceedingly well for love of Me.
Love…love…love, never counting the cost.
Go into the marketplace and stay with Me.
Pray, fast. Pray always, fast.
Be hidden. Be a light to your neighbour’s feet.
Go without fears into the depths of men’s hearts. I shall be with you.
Pray always. I will be your rest.

Reactions: MariaChristi
Upvote 0