Jun 11, 2006
✟16,128.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is my first experience with cats I always have dogs. But a cat had kittens in the barn behind my house then the mom got run over. So the next day I found 2 that were left. The rest were missing and noplace to be found. They are both females and didn't really have there eyes fully open yet. That was about a 6 weeks ago and now they are getting big and eating solid food. Now as for my question. A friend of mine told me that if the mother is gone before the kitten is weened then the cat will grow up to be uncontrollable and all around wild. Is this true?

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Nope, actually it would probably make them just the opposite since you have been hand raising them from such a young age. They have learned to depend on you for everything.

The only issues that come up with animals that are hand raised is that they are often anti social to their own type. You might possibly have problems if you bring a third cat into your household, they might not know how to react. Although you are at better odds for that not happening since you have two raised together.

Upvote 0

micbmac

Veteran
Apr 25, 2007
Texas
✟9,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No, but if ya take real good care of em they'll probably think you're the mama ;) . I have a cat and she is the princess around here (or she thinks she is). Do you know the difference between cats and dogs? To dogs we are friends and companions, to cats we are simply staff.^_^

Upvote 0

alwayz_remember_Calvery

Oct 3, 2004
✟15,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i've raised 2 kittens so far. The first i was given when she was about a day old. the momma cat wouldn't take care of any of the kittens and the rest of the litter had died already. My aunt gave me this cat. She currenlty lives with my aunt and uncle (a different aunt than the one who gave me the cat). This cat is completely crazy, but i'm pretty sure a lot of it has to do with the household she lives in. My aunt and uncle had a slightly nerotic cat that lived in their house when we gave them this kitten. I believe that was part of the problem.
July 2005 i was given another kitten. this one was a bit older. Her eyes were open, but she wasn't very big. we figure she was about 2 weeks old (eyes open at about 10 days). she turned into a nice cat. Not friendly, but nice. She was very sure that she was above everyone else in the house and we were just around to make her life easier .

So, no i don't think that just because they weren't raised by a cat they'll be crazy.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I actually recently found a kitten that is about 3 weeks old.....Too young to be away from momma.

She's the sweetest thing though. She loves my 85 pound german shepherd. My other adult cat recently warmed up to her and they have fun play wrestling her too.

Upvote 0

pentecostalgirl0414

Soon to be mommy of 2!!
Jan 28, 2005
Wahiawa, HI
✟21,780.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Nope, actually it would probably make them just the opposite since you have been hand raising them from such a young age. They have learned to depend on you for everything.

The only issues that come up with animals that are hand raised is that they are often anti social to their own type. You might possibly have problems if you bring a third cat into your household, they might not know how to react. Although you are at better odds for that not happening since you have two raised together.
Couldn't have said it better myself. When I got my cat, she was the only one left. (The mother got killed.) Though the previous owner abused her, I got her when she was 3 months. She isn't wild or anything. The only problem that we had is she doesn't get along very well with other cats. Good luck with your cat!!

Upvote 0

Dorf

God has given us a sword, swing it
Jun 11, 2006
✟16,128.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Cats are pretty much the same no matter what, unless you have a strict barn cat. Those are NOT pets.
Well the mom was a wild barn cat but they let us pick them up and play with them and they want to play with us. My lab/doberman thinks of them as her own offspring, licks them and so on. So they are ok until the cats go near her food bowl then she starts growling. Other than that, so far so good. Thanks everybody for the help

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.