Cardinal Joseph Zen is exactly right. The Traditional Latin Mass is a powerful force for unity.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,727,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The great Joseph Card. Zen, Emeritus Bishop of Hong Kong and champion of our downtrodden brethren in China, has over the years been generous toward those who desire to participate at Holy Mass in the Vetus Ordo, the Traditional Latin Mass (TLM).

Card. Zen, at his website, made a comment about the rumors concerning a possible restriction of the provisions of Benedict XVI’s “emancipation proclamation” Summorum Pontificum.

Here is his conclusion:

The Tridentine Mass is not divisive; on the contrary, it unites us to our brothers and sisters of all ages, to the saints and martyrs of every time, to those who have fought for their faith and who have found in it inexhaustible spiritual nourishment.
Card. Zen is exactly right. The TLM is a powerful force for unity.

Participation at the TLM unites the faithful across borders, across cultures, across generations.

Zen understands from personal experience how regimes crush souls. He would recognize that which liberates.

It is not unreasonable to suppose that there is some draft of a document floating around in curial offices that pertains to the provisions of Benedict’s Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum. The Motu Proprio has been hated since it was issued.

Continued below.
https://wdtprs.com/2021/06/cardjose...nal-latin-mass-is-a-powerful-force-for-unity/

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The great Joseph Card. Zen, Emeritus Bishop of Hong Kong and champion of our downtrodden brethren in China, has over the years been generous toward those who desire to participate at Holy Mass in the Vetus Ordo, the Traditional Latin Mass (TLM).

Card. Zen, at his website, made a comment about the rumors concerning a possible restriction of the provisions of Benedict XVI’s “emancipation proclamation” Summorum Pontificum.

Here is his conclusion:

The Tridentine Mass is not divisive; on the contrary, it unites us to our brothers and sisters of all ages, to the saints and martyrs of every time, to those who have fought for their faith and who have found in it inexhaustible spiritual nourishment.
Card. Zen is exactly right. The TLM is a powerful force for unity.

Participation at the TLM unites the faithful across borders, across cultures, across generations.

Zen understands from personal experience how regimes crush souls. He would recognize that which liberates.

It is not unreasonable to suppose that there is some draft of a document floating around in curial offices that pertains to the provisions of Benedict’s Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum. The Motu Proprio has been hated since it was issued.

Continued below.
@CardJosephZen is exactly right. The Traditional Latin Mass is a powerful force for unity.
He doesn't say how it unites. I love Latin. I pray in Latin. But practically speaking, people who like TLM are a minority. I think we are better off in the vernacular which doesn't alienate the unLatinized listener.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
He doesn't say how it unites. I love Latin. I pray in Latin. But practically speaking, people who like TLM are a minority. I think we are better off in the vernacular which doesn't alienate the unLatinized listener.

It made sense to me. It unites us across time in that the same Mass in the same language was said in generations long past and the Latin Mass was understood by the multitudes of various ethnic groups and languages in that Latin was universal to the church. Read and think.

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟435,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've been going to a TLM that a nearby parish has on 1st and 3rd Fridays, it's really cool that there's a diverse cultural population represented in the 50 or so people who attend, but we're unified in purpose and in the Latin language. That's the essence of the Mass. That's why I'm a big fan of the Latin Mass, the language represents the universality of the Church. Opposing that almost feels like opposition to catholicity itself.

Upvote 0