Cardinal Dolan: Are Sunday Masses just too long?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(OSV News) In our preparation for the Synod, here in the Archdiocese of New York, close to 7,000 people accepted our invitation to attend listening sessions or respond online to issues of concern in the life of the Church today. One question I always posed was, “How can we get people back to Sunday Mass? Why have so many of our folks stopped coming?”

I was amazed at the high interest this generated. Apart from the predictable carping from both fringes — the far left claiming that the only way to increase Mass attendance was to drop all liturgical guidelines and go back to the “do-your-own-thing” hootenannies of the ’70’s, or the alt-right urging turning the altar around and getting the fiddlebacks out of mothballs — the largest majority replied that the top reasons people were no longer coming to Sunday Mass were — are you ready for this? — one, because they couldn’t understand the priest; two, their parish had been closed; and, three, Mass was too long!

Let’s concentrate on the third reason. At first, I was prone to dismiss this. But, after re-considering the dozens and dozens of such replies — admittedly far from a scientific survey — I concluded that maybe these folks were on to something. It was very clear from the tenor of their responses that these were women and men who loved the Eucharist, who would rarely themselves miss Sunday Mass and were the first ones back after the pandemic restrictions were mercifully lifted; who gladly welcomed the genuine liturgical renewal of the council, who were not asking for a “quickie” Sunday Mass, who knew that a reverent, participative, joyful celebration of the Sunday Eucharist demands a chunk of quality time, but who were still exhausted from “marathon Masses” which they contend are driving the folks away.

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(OSV News) In our preparation for the Synod, here in the Archdiocese of New York, close to 7,000 people accepted our invitation to attend listening sessions or respond online to issues of concern in the life of the Church today. One question I always posed was, “How can we get people back to Sunday Mass? Why have so many of our folks stopped coming?”

I was amazed at the high interest this generated. Apart from the predictable carping from both fringes — the far left claiming that the only way to increase Mass attendance was to drop all liturgical guidelines and go back to the “do-your-own-thing” hootenannies of the ’70’s, or the alt-right urging turning the altar around and getting the fiddlebacks out of mothballs — the largest majority replied that the top reasons people were no longer coming to Sunday Mass were — are you ready for this? — one, because they couldn’t understand the priest; two, their parish had been closed; and, three, Mass was too long!

Let’s concentrate on the third reason. At first, I was prone to dismiss this. But, after re-considering the dozens and dozens of such replies — admittedly far from a scientific survey — I concluded that maybe these folks were on to something. It was very clear from the tenor of their responses that these were women and men who loved the Eucharist, who would rarely themselves miss Sunday Mass and were the first ones back after the pandemic restrictions were mercifully lifted; who gladly welcomed the genuine liturgical renewal of the council, who were not asking for a “quickie” Sunday Mass, who knew that a reverent, participative, joyful celebration of the Sunday Eucharist demands a chunk of quality time, but who were still exhausted from “marathon Masses” which they contend are driving the folks away.

Continued below.
A good potential solution to this, is to have a regular (60-90 minute long) mass, and then a short mass at a different time (25-30 minutes) with the bare essentials, such as Bible reading, 5 minute homily, three minute hymn/song and most importantly, the communion. Skip the handshakes, half a dozen songs and a long winded homily that goes into a tangent about football, some '90s sitcom and BBQ. Is this a good compromise?

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
A good potential solution to this, is to have a regular (60-90 minute long) mass, and then a short mass at a different time (25-30 minutes) with the bare essentials, such as Bible reading, 5 minute homily, three minute hymn/song and most importantly, the communion. Skip the handshakes, half a dozen songs and a long winded homily that goes into a tangent about football, some '90s sitcom and BBQ. Is this a good compromise?
sounds perfect! :) Although I think 45 minutes on a Sunday should probably be there bare minimum IMHO.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
sounds perfect! :) Although I think 45 minutes on a Sunday should probably be there bare minimum IMHO.
Yeah, but some people work 6 days a week, and Sunday is their only chance. Thankfully I don't work like that, but others might. I'd be more willing, or certain to go to mass every Sunday if service times were under 45 minutes.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The article in the first post makes it sound like 90 minute masses are the norm, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one that long, at least in the ordinary form; they're typically around 60 minutes, maybe sometimes a little longer but not 90. Not counting things like the Saturday Vigil that are supposed to be long, the only times I remember seeing a mass go long enough it might have approached 90 minutes were some Latin masses (which at least in my limited experience go longer than regular ones) or this one time when the mass was really delayed because pre-mass confessions ran long and I guess the priest didn't want to go back in after mass to deal with the rest, so he wanted to get it all done beforehand. And I'm still not sure any of those actually hit 90 minutes, and were obviously atypical cases.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The article in the first post makes it sound like 90 minute masses are the norm, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one that long, at least in the ordinary form; they're typically around 60 minutes, maybe sometimes a little longer but not 90. Not counting things like the Saturday Vigil that are supposed to be long, the only times I remember seeing a mass go long enough it might have approached 90 minutes were some Latin masses (which at least in my limited experience go longer than regular ones) or this one time when the mass was really delayed because pre-mass confessions ran long and I guess the priest didn't want to go back in after mass to deal with the rest, so he wanted to get it all done beforehand. And I'm still not sure any of those actually hit 90 minutes, and none were typical masses.
Yeah, the mass at my Dominican church is 60-75 minutes long.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Already done. Masses that are required to attend are 60 minutes. Daily mass is 30 minutes. Catholic Churches are run differently than Protestant Churches. We don’t have a myriad of songs, etc. But we must follow the proper rubrics for Mass to be valid. Not sure how to cut that back.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Already done. Masses that are required to attend are 60 minutes. Daily mass is 30 minutes. Catholic Churches are run differently than Protestant Churches. We don’t have a myriad of songs, etc. But we must follow the proper rubrics for Mass to be valid. Not sure how to cut that back.
Yeah, but the required attendance ones should also offer a shorter version

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, but the required attendance ones should also offer a shorter version
I don’t see how 15 minutes makes much of a difference. There is already a punch the clock attitude. Are you Catholic?

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don’t see how 15 minutes makes much of a difference. There is already a punch the clock attitude. Are you Catholic?
I am Catholic, recently since Easter 2022 after converting from Protestantism. That is why there are two solutions. A longer mass for most folks, but for those in a rush, a shorter one scheduled before or after the regular duration mass, or between two regular masses.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am Catholic, recently since Easter 2022 after converting from Protestantism. That is why there are two solutions. A longer mass for most folks, but for those in a rush, a shorter one scheduled before or after the regular duration mass, or between two regular masses.
You should get the moderators to put Catholic in your profile! I had no idea! I only talked to you once in the chat room. :)

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You should get the moderators to put Catholic in your profile! I had no idea! I only talked to you once in the chat room. :)
I understand. It is kinda sad why we can't put it in ourselves though. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Our masses seem to be pretty much around the one hour mark and I don't think they're too long. My wife is Baptist and their services are usually longer, sometimes 90 minutes (which means at my age if I'm there I'm hanging out for the loo before it's all over!).:crossrc:

When I was Presbyterian the services were about an hour and that included a high quality sermon of 15 minutes or more. With the preceding music it could go longer, but the pre-service music was just that - if the service was due to start at 10am, the music might begin 10 minutes before. Then at 10am there would be the opening hymn and it was on. But there were no lengthy Eucharistic proceedings.

I think an hour should be enough but in the case of a cathedral full of people I suppose communion could take a while. If anything I think the homilies could be a bit more punchy and longer if need be. I'm not criticising any priests in saying that - I just think that overall the Protestants do a better job in preaching.

Our minds are a part of our makeup and I think our intellect needs to be challenged as well as our faith.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0