Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
THIS Jew wishes to express gratitute towards the Cardinal.

No Jewish jokes: Catholic Archbishop

Posted Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:44am AEST

The Archbishop of Adelaide has told Catholics they should not tell Jewish jokes or use the Jewish name Yahweh in readings and songs.

In a pastoral letter to priests, Archbishop Philip Wilson has asked for a substitute word such as Lord to be used instead of the Jewish sacred name.

Archbishop Wilson says Catholics must be respectful and sensitive towards Jewish people.

Read the rest of the article at No Jewish jokes: Catholic Archbishop - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the Vatican put out a mandate, stopping the use of hymns sung at Mass, which use Yahweh.

In other words, hymns like "Yahweh I Know," by the St. Louis Jesuits, is no longer supposed to be sung at Catholic Masses.

Jim

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
THIS Jew wishes to express gratitute towards the Cardinal.

No Jewish jokes: Catholic Archbishop

Posted Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:44am AEST

The Archbishop of Adelaide has told Catholics they should not tell Jewish jokes or use the Jewish name Yahweh in readings and songs.

In a pastoral letter to priests, Archbishop Philip Wilson has asked for a substitute word such as Lord to be used instead of the Jewish sacred name.

Archbishop Wilson says Catholics must be respectful and sensitive towards Jewish people.

Read the rest of the article at No Jewish jokes: Catholic Archbishop - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
"Jewish jokes" are an insult to a people, Christian heritage, and our Lord (who lived as Jew).
As others have said, the Vatican already announced we shouldn't use the tetragrammaton in our singing.

On a side note, in high school I absolutely hated people saying "that's so Jewish" regarding negative things...gah. I think South Park is a big part of this cultural phenomenon in younger people. Cartman is horribly anti-semitic and a lot of people think that it is funny.

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My understanding is that it could only not be used in the Liturgy.

Jim
Right. Some Bibles are more...scholarly than the others and try to get a more direct translation, so it could make sense that translators may use the letters for the tetragrammaton so that readers know that it was used rather than adonai.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There are some English speaking countries where the Jerusalem Bible is used as the basis for the lectionary text for Catholic masses (I think the UK and Australia might be two of them, though I am not 100% certain), but, as with the New American Bible in the United States and the New Revised Standard Version bible in Canada, the specific texts used are likely modified for liturgical use in order to conform to liturgical norms. I would imagine that they probably were already using "Lord" in the masses anyhow. If not, they will be soon.

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Meaning Righteous Proselyte to Judaism
Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually, the Vatican put out a mandate, stopping the use of hymns sung at Mass, which use Yahweh.

In other words, hymns like "Yahweh I Know," by the St. Louis Jesuits, is no longer supposed to be sung at Catholic Masses.

Jim
Oh this is SO good to hear! Thank you for informing me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GeratTzedek

Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is the Jerusalem Bible not to be used since it uses that term for God?
My guess is that you could simply do what we Jews do. After all, we use the actual Hebrew Manuscript for our Liturgy, and so we run across the ACTUAL sacred name of G-d, the Yad Hey and Vav Hey, all the time, but rather than pronounce it out loud, we substitute "Adonai" which means Lord if we are praying or reading from the Torah (if not praying we say HaShem which means The Name). What you might do, then is something similar, although you might simply chose English -- when you get to Yahweh in the print, simply say "Lord" out loud. THAT is actually a HIGHER level of sensitivity because it requires YOU to consciously make the conscious rather than being dependent upon the publisher to do it for you.

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Jim
I've heard this song. It can be fixed, although I don't know my way around the copyright issues. But it's easy to add a two eight-note pickup walking up to the downbeat, and make the downbeat a dotted half, and simply change Yahweh to Adonai (meaning Lord). If push comes to shove, and the copyright problem doesn't allow the change for the books, at least you can salvage what I think is a favorite song for many who will undoubtedly sing it in homes and with guitars in small groups. Just a suggestion.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My guess is that you could simply do what we Jews do. After all, we use the actual Hebrew Manuscript for our Liturgy, and so we run across the ACTUAL sacred name of G-d, the Yad Hey and Vav Hey, all the time, but rather than pronounce it out loud, we substitute "Adonai" which means Lord if we are praying or reading from the Torah (if not praying we say HaShem which means The Name). What you might do, then is something similar, although you might simply chose English -- when you get to Yahweh in the print, simply say "Lord" out loud. THAT is actually a HIGHER level of sensitivity because it requires YOU to consciously make the conscious rather than being dependent upon the publisher to do it for you.

We could not use the Hebrew Manuscript, because the Catholic Bibles are based on the Septuagint(Greek Version) of the Old Testament.

Jim

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've heard this song. It can be fixed, although I don't know my way around the copyright issues. But it's easy to add a two eight-note pickup walking up to the downbeat, and make the downbeat a dotted half, and simply change Yahweh to Adonai (meaning Lord). If push comes to shove, and the copyright problem doesn't allow the change for the books, at least you can salvage what I think is a favorite song for many who will undoubtedly sing it in homes and with guitars in small groups. Just a suggestion.

The problem is, people like myself, who get emotionally attacged to things, would not adjust well to the different wording. Chalk screeching on a black board effect, if you get what I mean. :D

Jim

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We could not use the Hebrew Manuscript, because the Catholic Bibles are based on the Septuagint(Greek Version) of the Old Testament.

Jim

My understanding is that when possible the latest editions of the Catholic translations do translate form the Hebrew. Obviously some books such as the Maccabees are translated from Aramaic.

However, I wasn't suggesting that you use the Hebrew for your liturgy. I was making an anology for when you read from the Jerusalem Bible translation. Just AS Jews substitute Adonai for the Yad Hey and Vav Hey when reading the Hebrew text, SO you could also substitute Lord when reading Yahwey in the Jerusalem Bible.

Anyhow, it's just an idea. You'll work it out for yourselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.